Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Nissan Altima has two fairly significant problems with the floor pan rusting through & motor mounts breaking.

Altima owners report that up to a basketball-size hole develops under the floor mats where the floor pan metal rusts through. Average repair cost is over $1,000.

The broken motor mounts are less of a problem - they break at ~75,000 miles average & it's $400 to fix. Still, motor mounts should not break!

2005 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Altima:

2005 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 6 of 14)

Apr 072015

Altima 4-cyl

The floorboard under the front driver and passenger side is rotted out, centered around the drain plugs. The larger hole on the driver side is 6 inches by 12 inches and still expanding. This design flaw has been reported by thousands of other Altima owners with similar-age cars. The rest of the undercarriage is fine.

- Beverly, MA, USA

Aug 162013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle's floorboards were rusted out on both the front passenger and driver sides. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Clinton, TN, USA

Mar 112015

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased a 2005 Nissan Altima for my son in March of 2008 because he was learning how to drive for the first time. The vehicle only had 12,561 miles on it at the time and we really got a good deal on the car. My son has been the only driver of this vehicle from the first day we bought it, and now he uses it at school down in southern Illinois. It has been a great car for him and he is really happy with it. He takes extremely good care of the car, making necessary repairs as they come up along with the routine maintenance. With only 75,522 miles on the vehicle we figured the car would probably last at least another 50,000 miles if not more. Well, it would last that long if the floor boards on the vehicle weren't literally falling out from under him. This vehicle has been diagnosed with the same problem other Nissan Altima owners are experiencing, rotted out floor boards due to rust! I now have to take matters into my own hands to try to fix this problem because Nissan won't step up and assume responsibility for faulty workmanship. We were hoping this car would last another 2 years until my son is done with college but I don't think we're going to be so lucky. He is already experiencing a hole in the floor board under his right heel under the gas pedal. Right Nissan, this isn't a safety issue at all!!! what about if his entire leg goes through the floor board while he's you think that might be an issue"?" we maintain the vehicle and we know that it will last another 2 years but with this floor board rusting problem it may force us to buy my son another vehicle a lot sooner than we really anticipated doing. Thanks for nothing Nissan!

- Gurnee, IL, USA

Aug 012013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the front driver side floorboard was rusted and fractured. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the floorboard needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred on the front passenger side floorboard. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Abington, MA, USA

Jan 012010

Altima 4WD 4-cyl

The floor pan of the passenger and driver's side of the vehicle rusted out after only 5 years of owning the vehicle. It is now so bad that you can push your foot right through the floor pan of the vehicle to the pavement below. I go to great lengths to take care of my vehicles and even rinse the underbody of the car after storms to remove the salt. I've never had a car rust out so quickly and in such a.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Apr 072015

The floorboards in the car have rotted and rusted causing holes in floorboard which is beyond normal wear and tear. The car floor starting rusting about 3 years ago.

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Mar 242012

Altima 4-cyl

A few years ago I was alerted by my mechanic that the passenger floor boards were rusting at an advanced rate. My mechanic said the rest of the car was in great shape and it was a shame the floor was failing prematurely. He recommended I take it to the Nissan dealership to see if there was a service recall or a service bulletin. I stopped by the dealership on a Saturday and the service writer looked at the floor of my car and said that he had never seen such a thing on any Nissan. He said there was nothing he could do and recommended we contact Nissan. We contact Nissan and never even got a response. At the time we searched the internet and found numerous people reporting the issue. So I find it hard to believe that Nissan had never heard of the issue. My mechanic has kept an eye on the rust when I am in for service and he has mentioned it is getting worst at a rapid rate and that it is becoming a safety issue. I feel like this design defect and Nissan should be held responsible.

- Savage, MN, USA

Sep 012014

Altima 4-cyl

The bottom of my 2005 Nissan Altima is rusting through to the floor boards. There is about a 10 inch round area on the passenger side where there is excessive rust. I am wondering if it is a defect as I even had rust proofing done at the time the car was purchased. The rust proofing may've slowed the progress but couldn't prevent the problem (and the warranty has expired).

- Waukesha, WI, USA

Altima 4-cyl

The floor pan on the driver and passenger side has severe rust and has rusted through in some spots. The rest of the car has no other rust problems and is in good shape. I keep my car in good maintenance and don't understand why only these areas are effected.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Altima 6-cyl

Front passenger side floor boards are rusting out.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Mar 152014

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. While driving at 60 mph, the contact noticed fumes in the vehicle. The contact noticed corrosion and holes on the floorboards of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the floorboards needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,000.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Altima 6-cyl

After seeing a report on the news this morning that Nissan Altima are having systematic issues with rusting under the floorboards, I looked under my 2005 Altima, and can see visible rusting under the floorboards. It has rusted, corroded and is flaking off. If you touch it, it falls apart. It has nearly rusted through. I understand Nissan would like to take the position that this is not a design flaw or a safety hazard with these cars, but that does not make sense. If there are hundreds of these cars with the same problem, how could it just be coincidence? I am about to have a child, and do not feel safe driving a child around in this car. I also understand Nissan issued a technical service bulletin with respect to this issue years ago, so they have been aware of the issue but have done nothing to address it for years.

- Darien, CT, USA

Apr 012011

Altima 6-cyl

Defective drain system for water run off has caused passenger and driver side floor pan to rust completely through. There are holes in my floor where feet are placed.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 022014

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact's foot went through the floorboard when he stepped into the vehicle. The dealer determined that the floorboards and floor pans on the vehicle were rusted through. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the floorboards were no longer under warranty. The dealer stated that the entire floorboard needed to be replaced. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- South River , NJ, USA

Sep 262014

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while having regular maintenance performed on the vehicle, the technician noticed that the exhaust system was rusted and recommended replacement. The entire exhaust system was replaced; however, the rust spread to other parts, like the frame and a hole developed on the passenger side floor. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Munising, MI, USA

Feb 272015

My Nissan Altima 2005 wouldn't pass inspection due to rust and corrosion underneath the passenger and driver side feet area. I was able to fix the passenger side but now the driver side is even worse and causing lots in damages.

- Charlestown, MA, USA

Mar 012012

After hearing on the today show this morning complaints against Nissan regarding under carriage rust I thought I would file a complaint as well. In approx. 2012 while walking towards my car I noticed something hanging from the bottom of my passenger side. Under further inspection I noticed severe rusting and it had actually rusted completely through the floor board. The only thing holding my feet in the car was the carpet. I immediately contacted Nissan and was told oh well so sad not gonna help me because the car was no longer under warranty. I had pretty much always had the car serviced regularly at uftring Nissan in peoria Illinois. This was never mentioned in the 4 years prior to me in the many trips I made for routine oil changes and several strut repairs on this car. Yes I have had strut issues with this car from day one. They have been replaced at least 6 times since I bought the car in 2008. Anyhow, I took the car to my body guy and he replaced. The floorboard for 500 bucks and said the driver side is headed in the same direction. At this time I know of no issues with rusting on the drivers side. I personally check every time the car is lifted. However if it is rusting from the inside out it is more than possible that by the time I could visually see damage it will be completely through with carpet being the only thing keeping me inside. I absolutely want Nissan to not only pay for the first replacement but fix the problem so I am not paranoid about the seat falling through when I am driving on the road. This is total negligence on Nissan part.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Jan 092012

Altima 6-cyl

Excessive rust on the front driver's side floorboard. The metal floor under the carpet is completely rusted through. I first noticed the problem a little over three years ago but it has gotten progressively worse. Apparently, this is a common issue for 2002-2006 Nissan Altima.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Mar 252015

Altima 4-cyl

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5. 128,000 miles on it, couple of weeks back I found out the floor boards are completed rotted out on both sides, so bad that one can stick their hands in and feel my carpet. The mechanics were so surprised how bad they were and this was the only part of the base which was rotten. Now my car is junk and I wont even take or resell my car. Nissan autobody says it will cost me 1200 per side totaling $2400 to fix the floor boards which is obviously a safety issue and should have been recalled a while ago!! I now have no vehicle to drive and im scared of driving it anymore. And do not want to invest $2400 dollars on something that is not a wear and tear issue, its a structural issue and should be recalled!!!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 142015

Following a routine service appointment I was told that the floor on the front passenger side was completely rotted out and that it was unsafe to drive. It is a one owner car and I am a 75 year old female. The car had outstanding care. It was not garaged throughout its lifetime but it did get excellent care. Floor repair is estimated to cost over $1,00 dollars. That is money that I cannot afford.

- Dracut, MA, USA