CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

1.3

2006 Nissan Altima fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Dec 082015

Altima

The car suddenly died in traffic and I couldn't get it to start. I had to put the car in neutral and push it out of the road. The gas gauge was reading that it had over a quarter tank of gas when it was actually empty. It caused my vehicle to run out of gas in traffic. This is extremely dangerous and could have caused me to get into a serious accident. No damage or injuries occurred in this particular incident, so I did not contact police.

- Oakland, OK, USA

Oct 092013

Altima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred 4,000 miles later. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 162012

Altima 4-cyl

I bought the car in May 2009. Up until June 2013, no problems other than regular maintenance. Car overheats and has been since June 2013 on and off. Have had battery replaced 2 times, tune up, crank shaft sensor replaced, broken seal replaced (that keeps oil/coolant) in car. Have had problems with car not starting, engine turns over but won't start. I have to keep putting anti-freeze in car before I drive it every few days if I don't the heater blows out hot air, then cold which is when overheating occurs. White smoke coming out of exhaust pipe. Been to local mechanic 3 times, and they keep charging to fix it ($500 so far). They did tune up, replace battery and fixe the broken seal. I'm a nervous wreck driving it because I'm afraid I'll get stuck somewhere.

- East Quogue, NY, USA