CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2.2

2006 Nissan Altima fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Apr 072014

Altima 4-cyl

A "service engine soon" light indicates.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Sep 082012

Altima 4-cyl

While driving on the I95 the car shut off and would not restart at 55mph. Thank god, I did not get into an accident and was able to coast over to the guardrail. I had to have my car towed to my mechanic that informed me it appeared to be the crankshaft sensor and said since it was a recall item I should have it brought to my local Nissan dealer. I had the car towed to miller Nissan in fairfield ct and informed them of my mechanics findings. They checked the car and told me it was the fuel pump and replaced it even with me expressing that my current mechanic already checked that. After replacing the fuel pump they called me back and said it still wasn't working. It ended up being the ECM along with another sensor!! I expressed how upset I was that this sensor failed why I was driving at a high speed on the highway! I am currently working with Nissan corporate recall department because everything I'm reading is still indicating that the crankshaft sensor could cause malfunctions in other sensors in the car!! I'm not happy that Nissan is charging me for the new fuel pump they installed along with the sensors totaling $1,943,00!!

- Trumbull , CT, USA

Jan 012007

Altima 4-cyl

When trying to fuel the vehicle pump continues to shut off. Car taken in for repairs, and I was told I did not know how to put fuel in the car. Taken a second time, and they looked at the car. Fixed the problem after many attempts. Car was having same problem again after 1 month.

- Purdy, MO, USA

Mar 012006

Altima 4-cyl

- the contact stated that every time the brakes were applied they made a loud squealing noise. The contact took the vehicle to two dealerships in Virginia. And both stated that there wasn't anything wrong with the brakes. The contact was concerned for her safety because the brakes continued to make a loud squealing noise. Updated 4/8/08 the consumer stated there was a recall for the engine for this vehicle and consumer stated a fuel smell in the was present in the vehicle. Updated 04/08/08

- Norfolk, VA, USA