CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Nissan Altima has a trend of engine problems, both in our data & definitely in the NHTSA's complaint data as well.

Excessive oil consumption is the main problem reported by owners. Nissan did a recall back in 2006 for oil consumption due to bad piston rings, but many owners report to us that the recall didn't fix the problem.

The dealer only had to check the oil consumption rate. Typically 1 qt per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" per OEM standards ... that's a lot of oil!

2006 Nissan Altima suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Altima:

2006 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Feb 082011

Altima 4-cyl

On several occasions my car as suddenly cutoff, while driving!!!! luckily, nobody was ever physically hurt. Mentally and emotionally it scared the crap out of several people, including myself. While on the expressway I've started to notice my car automatically slowing down after a certain speed, without me even touching the brakes. For awhile I stopped getting on the expressway, in fear of my car completely stopping with cars driving behind me at a faster pace. Also, at 55 + miles/hr my tires start to wobble and there's a scrubbing noise with the wobble sometimes. It feels like my back tires are about to fall off. I've bought 3 sets of tires already, and tomorrow will be my 4th set. This is ridiculous and very unsafe!!!!! please help me, thanks.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 292007

Altima 4-cyl

I bought a 2006 Nissan Altima in November of 2005. I have now had this vehicle for 2 years. I just came across 2 recalls online by accident. I was never notified of these recalls and they both appear to be very serious. 1- (#06V223000) from June 2006 involving "engine and engine cooling" that lists excessive oil consumption and possibly engine fire and 2- (06V0046000) from Feb. 2006 involving rear suspension and possibly a cracked bracket. I have had to add plenty of oil since buying this car, but cannot believe I was never notified about a serious and potentially dangerous safety hazard as this, not to mention the damage it must have already caused to the engine!! what do I do now and what can be done to this obvious terrible shady dealership and unforgivable manufacturer??

- Woodbridge, NJ, USA

Apr 032007

Altima 4-cyl

I bought my Nissan Altima 2.4S special edition package in December 2006. I was going back from my office to home for lunch and just near my office when I was in the right lane of the "corporate drive" to take a right turn on to "tennyson pkwy", the car suddenly went on the right curb and it was really difficult to control. The car moved so quickly from the right curb to left curb (corporate drive was a two lane street dead end to tennyson), I believe that something must be wrong with the rear suspension to go out of control. This 2006 Nissan Altima car needs to be checked for safety, it lead to los of control. I have registered the complaint with Nissan as well for my car they told me the car is not in recall list at "that" time for the NHTSA# 06V-046. How many cars they are waiting to cause similar incidents before they issue recall ?

- The Colony, TX, USA

Aug 012006

Altima

2006 Nissan Altima was sold to consumer while on hold for a recall. Consumer wanted to exchange the vehicle for a problem free vehicle. The consumer contacted the dealer but they have not return the consumer's call.

- Bayside, NY, USA