2008 Nissan Altima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Sep 142016

After replacing my transmission, the car continued to sputter anytime I was driving for more than a few miles. My mechanic figured out that the catalytic converter was overheating to about 600 degrees when it should have been no more than 250 degrees, causing parts of the engine to begin melting. The check engine light never came on to alert me of this issue, and I may now have permanent engine damage.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Apr 282014

Altima 4-cyl

Was driving to work on the highway using cruise control and then I tried to get out of cruise and step on the gas pedal but it got stuck, I realized I wasn't able to get over to the first lane due to traffic, so I tried to slow down to pull over to the median closest to the third lane, however, the brakes stopped working and I wasn't able to stop the vehicle, I even tried to press the button to shut the car off but it wouldn't shut down, there was no smell of smoke or anything and than as the car begin slowing on its own, all of a sudden smoke just poofed up and I grabbed my purse and phone and jumped out of the moving car. Ran away from the car and realize that I had taken my wallet out of my purse previous and I turned to go back but the car was engulfed in flames. I called 911 to get assistance.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 302012

Altima 4-cyl

My daughter and I were about 30 minutes North of san antonio on our way home to dallas. In an instance my car stopped accelerating and the mph declined. I checked to make sure the car was still in drive and it was. I pulled over as to not cause an accident and turned off my car. It took a few times to start it back as it would start and die. About the 3rd try it started and I revved the gas - it sounded normal so I drove to an autozone - it was the closest. I asked if they would check the computer to see what it said and they said it wouldn't read w/O a code. I took the car 10/1/12 to bankston Nissan in dallas (the car drove fine all the way home) and they said it may be too much cvt fluid. Took it in and they couldn't duplicate the issue and the fluid was fine - did not need to be changed or anything. The tech said when it happens again to pull over and have it towed to a Nissan - he thinks maybe since I restarted it may have cleared the codes. I asked if he thought it would happen again and he said yes. Looking online I see this same description and issue over and over again. I even called Nissan Consumer Affairs and received a call back... this did not happen before when I had a master cylinder issue that was recalled 6 months later. Nissan at that time just said sorry. This time I got a call back inquiring, but then still get a sorry. I think something is up. They all seem to know the issue but w/O a code they wont replace the transmission under warranty. What if there is never a code??!!!

- Dallas, TX, USA