2008 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 302013

Altima 4-cyl

I pulled in a parking space, foot on the brake, and before I could put it in park the car accelerated and took off. The brakes would not stop the car. I went about twenty feet, over curbs, sidewalk, another parking space, avoiding cars, skid marks made, and finally directed the car toward a dumpster and it stopped. It is a miracle that someone in my path wasn't killed. The engine was pushed back and so the body shop connected with Nissan considered it a total loss.

- Western Springs, IL, USA

Aug 302013

Altima

The following had to be fixed all on one visit: My alternator replaced; top motor mount replaced, brake sensor replaced, battery replaced, and had an oil cooler leak fixed. All was covered with my extended warranty ($858 otherwise). It has had a total of 4 batteries, 2 alternators, 2 manna folds (a recall), new shocks and struts (I paid for) and my transmission warranty was extended to 120,000 miles. (there was also another recall to the fuel tank but can't remember any specifics). I take great care of my car, have it maintained regularly, and only use quality gas. This is my fourth Nissan and I am greatly disappointed in the quality. I am debating as to whether or not I should trade it in.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Dec 272012

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that carbon monoxide was leaking into the vents from the exhaust manifold. The contact took the vehicle to the dealership, who stated that the manifold would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 87,000. Updated 02/13/13 updated 02/14/13

- Mcdonald , PA, USA

Sep 302012

Altima 4-cyl

My daughter and I were about 30 minutes North of san antonio on our way home to dallas. In an instance my car stopped accelerating and the mph declined. I checked to make sure the car was still in drive and it was. I pulled over as to not cause an accident and turned off my car. It took a few times to start it back as it would start and die. About the 3rd try it started and I revved the gas - it sounded normal so I drove to an autozone - it was the closest. I asked if they would check the computer to see what it said and they said it wouldn't read w/O a code. I took the car 10/1/12 to bankston Nissan in dallas (the car drove fine all the way home) and they said it may be too much cvt fluid. Took it in and they couldn't duplicate the issue and the fluid was fine - did not need to be changed or anything. The tech said when it happens again to pull over and have it towed to a Nissan - he thinks maybe since I restarted it may have cleared the codes. I asked if he thought it would happen again and he said yes. Looking online I see this same description and issue over and over again. I even called Nissan Consumer Affairs and received a call back... this did not happen before when I had a master cylinder issue that was recalled 6 months later. Nissan at that time just said sorry. This time I got a call back inquiring, but then still get a sorry. I think something is up. They all seem to know the issue but w/O a code they wont replace the transmission under warranty. What if there is never a code??!!!

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 212012

Altima

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while traveling 5 mph, the vehicle lunged forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who confirmed that the motor mounts needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 52,385. Updated 10/17/12 the repairs were made on 09/25/12. Updated 10/22/12

- Henderson, NV, USA

Aug 312012

Altima 4-cyl

Vehicle was driving along with other normal traffic when it suddenly lost power and stalled on an incline. Driver carefully steered vehicle to a safe place downhill and called a towing company to tow vehicle to driver's residence. Upon visual inspection of engine compartment, a rubber seal on the ECM wiring harness was found buckled up. On trying to remove and re-insert the harness, it was found that ECM terminals had corroded and some pin contact had actually fallen off. Upon doing some research, this was found to be an issue covered under federal emissions warranty. Driver/owner called the local Nissan dealership who immediately, presumably at their own expense, towed the car to their facility, checked and found the ECM to be faulty but blamed the faulty wiring harness for the failure. And further, the dealer claimed since the harness carries a 3 year warranty and was the "cause" of the ECM failure, this was no longer covered under federal emissions warranty resulting in a bill of $2,000+ for replacing the faulty - corroded - wiring harness and the faulty ECM. Attempts to have the dealer do more research or contact Nissan usa for advise fell on deaf ears. If the car had stalled on high speed and caused fatalities on the highway, would these repairs then have been "part" of federal emissions warranty coverage for publicity purposes? it is out of sheer luck that 1. the car stalled while going downhill and, 2. the car was traveling at 40 miles per hour. I desperately need advise on this while I await for delivery of a special order for the ECM and harness. In the meantime, my rental car expenses are piling up and are not covered by any warranty.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jun 222012

Altima

I was driving the car normally when I noticed the light " check engine soon" turned on. I stopped the car at tires plus and asked to check the oil. The diagnosis was that there was no oil circulation. I was advised to not drive the car and tow it to the Nissan dealer. Tires plus also provided me with a technical service bulletin issued by Nissan (classification EC07-014, reference # ntb08-17, issued on January 22nd, 2008) reporting problems with the ivt solenoid valve for some vehiclesmanufactured in 2008. My VIN was included in that range of vins informed in the technical bulletin. I towed the car to the Nissan dealer and contacted Consumer Affairs. Nissan is rejecting the claim because the car is out of the warranty. Also, Nissan is saying that the problem was absence of oil and they found sludge. They are asking me assume the costs if they open the engine to investigate the problem.I am afraid that the engine is damaged.

- Doral, FL, USA

Jan 202012

Altima

I have experienced several incidences where when pressing the brake & trying to start the car (by the push start ignition) the car will not turn over. All electrical components in the vehicle will turn on (radio, power windows, air, etc) but the car will not start. I've had the battery tested numerous times and it always passes as a good battery. After doing some research online, I found several forums where others have complained about the same problem with their 2008 Nissan Altima. From the sounds of it, it might be a problem with a brake cable. With as many other complaints that I've seen on this, how come there hasn't been a recall issued?

- Mesa, AZ, USA