9.2

$4,013.00

1. replace transmission (16 reports)
2008 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Altima:

2008 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 142017

Altima S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

THIS CAR HAS BEEN VERY DEPENDABLE FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS. I GET DOWN TO ONLY OWING 980.00 IN PAYMENTS AND IT BREAKS DOWN ON ME. I WOULD LIKE TO GET IT REPAIRED BUT AFTER READING ALL THE COMPLAINTS I AM LEANING TOWARD GETTING ANOTHER ONE. JUST DON'T WANT ANOTHER CAR PAYMENT! NISSAN IS VERY SLOW WITH THEIR RESPONSES. I LIVE IN A RURAL AREA AND TO GET IT TO A DEALER WILL BE OVER 50 MILES AWAY WHICH MEANS TOO MUCH FOR TOWING. AND I JUST BOUGHT A NEW SET OF TIRES TOO!!!

THE CAR QUITS WHEN I PUT IT IN GEAR, FORWARD OR REVERSE. I HAD A TRANSMISSION MECHANIC LOOK AT IT AND CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT'S WRONG WITH IT. HE THINKS IT MAY BE THE CVT TRANSMISSION COMPUTER, WHICH APPARENTLY, HE CAN'T FIX. I AM SORRY TO SAY BUT I DON'T TRUST DEALER REPAIR SHOPS AT ALL!!!

ANYONE HAVE SOME ADVICE TO OFFER?

- , Jonesboro, AR, US

Mar 032017

Altima 2.5L

Ammco in Roseville, said I had a seal leak and the had to fix twice, then they said I need a new Transmission for 4K, then they ran over my key pod and destroyed it, now I have to bring them my second POD, they are on my sh*t list

- , Roseville, US

Feb 142014

Altima SE 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

The CVT failed at 117,240 miles. Fortunately, the CVT was replaced by Nissan. The dealership advised Nissan had extended the CVT warranty to 120,000. Very disappointed at the failure of the CVT.

- , Lubbock, US

May 152015

Altima SE 3.5L

• CVT transmission

I purchased a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 and had a wonderful experience. The car was totaled in an accident and I was blessed that this vehicle saved my life, I couldn't wait to purchase my next Altima and so I did. I purchased a 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 with an extended warranty. The dreaded CVT Transmission has become a nightmare with repeated trips to Nissan Dealerships. While the warranty was in effect the car began to lose power during acceleration. Initially it was subtle and I thought it was my imagination as I'm driving city miles. I took the car to the dealership for diagnosis and repairs several times and they continuously told me that the problem did not exist (after holding onto my vehicle for at least a week at a time) and that the problem would have to be occurring at the time in order for any diagnosis could be made. I continued to drive the vehicle because the car was stalling on occasion until while I'm driving the car wouldn't accelerate or I wouldn't have any power driving on an incline. Very dangerous. Funny thing the car would operate fine if the car was either cold from sitting or driven in cold weather. No help from Nissan, I sought help from transmission specialist to be informed that the problem absolutely exists but its a manufacturers defect inside of the CVT transmission. Nissan has known about it probably always but unable to assist their customers with a recall. I did find out that the CVT trans has been discontinued. Don't think I'll be purchasing any other Nissan products based on their deception and the cost to repair running between $2M and $4M dollars

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 232016

• CVT transmission

My car is paid for, thus really stinks! I heard a grinding noise when driving, then the car lost power, I was told I needed to replace the throttle body, spent 200.00 to do this, then the RPM's would go down under 200, spent another 129.00 at the dealer only to be told the brand new part I just bought is defective, then I was told the solenoid.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Aug 092016

Altima SE

• CVT transmission

Today my Nissan Altima's Transmission Died! The kicker-- I just made my very last car payment this month!!!! I was driving on my way to work and had my baby in the car to drop off at Grandma's house and my car started grinding really bad and shifting horribly. Then all of a sudden it simply stops moving and won't shift into drive. I manage to steer it to the side of the road. I power the car off and then restart (that works for computers, right?!) put back into drive and it's making the most awful noise ever. Had it towed to a mechanic specializing in transmission work, he groaned when I told him over the phone it was an Altima CVT trans.

Got the call this morning that it is beyond repair. Needs to be replaced. What?! I thought Nissan's last for a long time. I've had the car for 5 years. He doesn't work on CVTs so it needs to go to a dealer. Called Nissan.. It's 10,000 miles over the extended warranty they wont fix it. So I'm on the hook for 4k?! I don't think so. I'll sell it for scrap metal and get a new car. Guarantee it won't be a Nissan I am buying. Shame on Nissan for putting such a crappy transmission in their cars then giving you no recourse. I was going to buy a Rogue but I hate Nissan and will never buy a car from them ever.

Update from Aug 18, 2016: CVT Transmission completely failed at 132000 miles. Nissan Consumer Affairs refuses to help because it is out of their "extended warranty of 120k" Car lost power wouldn't shift while driving in traffic, luckily we were not in an accident. How can Nissan put these junk transmissions in and refuse to stand by their product. Going to small claims court.

- , Wyandotte, MI, USA

May 252016

• CVT transmission

Transmission broke down yesterday am, on my way to work. I knew it was transmission so I had it towed to Aamco. They're putting in re-manufactured tranny, cost of $3,600 all in.

I just found out today that the warranty was extended, and so I called Nissan. He tells me, "yes your car is covered. Just bring it to a Nissan dealer." Uh oh, I just heard from Aamco that they put the new transmission in. So I ask whether they can reimburse me for a third party repair. They're not sure, and they're assigning a "Regional Specialist" to the case, who will call me back.

Does anyone on here have experience with this situation? Surely I'm not the first person to get an emergency repair at somewhere other than a Nissan dealership.

thanks,

Frank

- , Summit, NJ, USA

Jan 272016

Altima 2.5S 2.5L 4

• CVT transmission

On August 1, 2015 I purchased a 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S with 130,812 miles for $7,500. On January 27, 2016 the transmission went out with 144,540 miles. The diagnosis for the Nissan Altima was a transmission failure requiring replacement with an estimated $4,135 cost. This is over ½ the amount I paid for the vehicle and 60% of the current market value.

I began doing research into transmission issues with the CVT transmissions in Nissan Altimas. I was completely amazed to discover numerous reports of similar failures. I learned from Nissan USA’s website that Nissan extended the warranty on the CVT transmission on 2007-2010 Altimas to 10 years and 120,000. This is a clear indication to me that Nissan recognizes a major quality issue with the CVT transmission,

I am a Quality Manager for a Fortune 500 manufacturing company, so began doing additional searching for data. I discovered that self reported transmission failures for 2008 Nissan Altimas are 3.6%. Comparing this to a similar class competitive model average for 2008 of 0.76%, the Altima is nearly 5-times the industry average failure rate. I am certain Nissan has much more detailed data on failure by mileage. However, using the same data source for comparison across 8-manufacturers and finding a 5-times greater incidence rate is an obvious indication of an inferior product.

This is most likely the last Nissan I will own.

- , Ellerslie, GA, USA

Nov 232015

Altima 4 cyl

This is simply a crappy transmission. Nissan knows about the problem and extended their warranty. After researching the complaints the transmissions are going out after their 120k warranty. I have contacted Nissan to see if there is anything they will do and will update this comment when I find out.

- , Shawnee, KS, USA

Oct 032015

Altima

My car has a lot of hwy miles because I use to travel a lot. I keep my oil changed, tires rotated, everything checked, and etc. My car has had things happen here and there you know, it's only 7 years old. I've had several cars from Nissan and this has all been so disappointing for me. This is my only transportation, I have to transport my child around you know. I took my car to several body shops because just anyone can't fix a Nissan.They put it on the computer at three different locations and it was all the same. They say because I was using wrong gas it went out..I HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT IN MY LIFE..I really can't afford to have my car fixed, I've already cleaned my savings and paid $1,200 and now they saying I need another $3,000 for a transmission not including there fee. Why?????

- , Foxworth, MS, USA

Aug 022015

• CVT transmission

I always thought my Nissan Altima was a great car, until I am faced with replacing my second transmission at 128,000 miles. Apparently this is a common problem for 2008 Altimas and Nissan has known about it. I was not aware of the extended warranty they put on their transmissions due to this common problem but I'm beyond that now. The cost to replace it is more than the trade-in value so I won't be fixing it. And, I'm sad to say, I'm not buying another Nissan.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 262014

Altima V4

• CVT transmission

Okay well today is 7/8/2015 and I had to pay for my first transmission that wasn't under warrant last year. Now the transmission a year later is going out again. So this will be the forth transmission for this car. It upset me that Nissan knows that that years was bad transmission problem and doing nothing about. I'm not even sure if the newer cars have better transmission or not.

- , Round Rock, TX, US

Jul 282014

• CVT transmission

I just wish that Nissan would step up to the plate and cover those beyond the 120,000 extended warranty. This is ridiculous. I made my last car payment and determined I needed a new transmission all in the same month.

All could have been avoided if Nissan would have recalled and put in the now unavailable transmission cooler when they identified the problem.

- , Mesquite, TX, USA

Aug 122014

Altima 2.5L

I was under the impression that Nissan made reliable cars. Up to this point I haven't had any problems with my car and do a good job with maintenance.

As I was pulling into a parking lot one day the car starts smoking and there is a trail of fluid that I can see was from my car. I had it towed to my mechanic who instantly told me I had to take it to the dealer because he had never seen something like this before. I then towed it to the dealer who said I needed a new transmission because there was a hole in the outer casing. He said it was not covered under the warranty and it would cost $4000 to get a new transmission.

How does a Nissan with 80,000mi need a new transmission? He said it was from revving the engine but in no way do I buy that. First off I am a mother of two, what do I look like revving my engine? If in a case where I may have been stuck in snow in December how is it that the cracked transmission didn't show until August of the following year. I am disgusted at the thought that they will not put in a new transmission and think I should pay $4000 for it. I hope I can come back on here and give a positive outcome from this story but right now I am angry and not hopeful. Please let me know if anyone else has experienced anything similar and what the results were.

- , PHILADELPHIA, PA, USA

Aug 202014

Altima SL

• CVT transmission

I was traveling across the U.S., on my way to Utah, when my transmission went out in Kansas on the interstate. Luckily, my son and I were able to get off on the shoulder, and I called AAA. My car was towed to Firestone in Wichita, KS. The next morning I was told that the car's transmission needed to be replaced. WHAT??? I bought that car brand new in 2008 and had just paid it off in July 2014! I was also able to drive "slowly" the car to the Nissan dealership there in Wichita, and they told me the same thing - it needed a new transmission. Both places told me that they know that Nissan installed defective transmissions in their 2008 Nissan Altimas and had extended their warranties. BUT, I had driven my car over the 120,000 miles warranty. I was so LIVID with Nissan. When I returned home from my trip (after having to get a rental car to make it to Utah), I called Nissan and spoke eventually with a Regional Specialist. She kept telling me "We cannot assist you." I will NEVER purchase another Nissan. They are not honorable and do not stand by their products! By the way, I never received anything about the car's defective transmission (CVT). I am just so grateful that my son and I were not killed on the interstate when the transmission went out. Unfortunately, Nissan could care less.

- , Fort Mill, SC, USA

Aug 102014

Altima S

• CVT transmission

I contact Nissan Corporate Offices as this is my 2nd transmission in my car. This transmission only has 84000 miles on it. They said that they already did a goodwill extension on Altima Transmission warranties to 120000 for the life of the vehicle. They told me they couldn't do anything for me as I had too many miles on my car. I am so frustrated, I will never buy another Nissan!!!! They told me I could go to the better business bureau or legal counsel.

- , Olympia, WA, US

Mar 142010

Altima S

• CVT transmission

I had only 63000 miles on my vehicle. I think transmissions should last longer than that.

- , Olympia, WA, US

Jun 302014

Altima SE 3.5L

• CVT transmission

At 135k miles the transmission failed and needed to be replaced, of course it was just passed the extended warranty. I purchased a brand new CVT transmission directly from Nissan. Less than a year later at 156k miles the transmission has failed again and I am being told it needs to be replaced. Nissan will not cover the cost of the transmission or the labor, claiming the brand new transmission is only good for 12k miles. Not only are they refusing to cover the cost, they are not returning my phone calls and have treated me horribly.

- , Waterford, CT, USA

Jun 152013

• CVT transmission

20,000 MILES AGO TRANSMISSION WAS REPLACED...CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BACK ON AND TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS YET AGAIN. BUT NOW I AM HAVING TO PAY BECAUSE I AM OUT OF MILES...SO I GUESS THE EXPECTANCY TIME OF THEIR TRANSMISSION IS NOT LONG AT ALL. REALLY 20,000 MILES LATER AND I NEW TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS AGAIN. NOTIFIED NISSAN NORTH AMERICA DIRECTLY... NOTHING BUT RUDE CUSTUMER CARE AND NO HELP. NOT ASKING THEM TO PAY FOR IT TOTALLY BUT MAKE IT RIGHT. I WILL PAY THE DX FEE AND IF IT WAS A PART THAT WAS REPALCED 20,000 MILES AGO IT TO BE REPLACED AGAIN MUST HAVE BEEN A BAD PART

- , Sand Springs, OK, USA

Sep 042012

• CVT transmission

TRANSIMISSION WENT COMPLETELY OUT AT 113,000 MILES??? WTH AND AGAIN MORE PROBLEMS WITH TRANSMISSION 20,0000 BUT NOW OUT OF WARRANTY SO NOW I WILL HAVE TO PAY. 20,000 MILES IS ALL THE NEW TRANSMISSION THAT THEY PUT IN LASTED, 130,000 MILES AND 2 TRANSMISSIONS

- , Sand Springs, OK, USA