CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.

2009 Nissan Altima accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Altima:

2009 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 012014

Altima

Sticky and melting dashboard in my Nissan Altima. I am unable to drive during sunny days and about to get into accident couple of times this summer.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 202015

Altima

Dash board melting very sticky can't clean blinding glare in windshield when in sun hard to see oncoming traffic this should be a recall but as I have read this is a major concern in hot humid climate along with the steering lock defects.seems Nissan doesn't care about safety only wants to sell the vehicle and take the profits

- Victoria, TX, USA

Jun 012015

Altima

Melting dashboard cannot see out the windshield when sun is shining on the dash. Glare is so bright. Dash collects dirt. If you touch it you finger will sink into the melting dash.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Dec 182015

Altima

Melting dashboard results in severe glare. The glare makes it difficult to drive.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 022015

Altima

The dash is covered in this sticky substance, and when the sun is out has a terrible glare in the window.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 152015

Altima

2009 Nissan Altima that has a sticky-melting dashboard that can not be cleaned it has a glare that make it very difficult to see out of the wind shield this can cause a major accident-Nissan will not fix it unless you pay them to replace it for almost $2000 and there are many complaints of this issiue all over South Florida

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Altima

1. the dashboard totally melted creating a blinding glare while driving. It is completely sticky to touch, which is great if I wanted a permanent and highly effective bug trap. The glare it creates on the windshield is so blinding that I've almost hit pedestrians crossing the street on several different occasions. The dealership where I purchased the car only offered to replace it at a ridiculous cost that I cannot afford as a school teacher. It was only 2 years old, however old enough to not be under warranty. My major concern is having an accident or hitting someone crossing the street. Will Nissan cover damages then" 2. headlights: Plastic headlight is completely covered in film creating a visibility hazard at night. Restoration processes did not work. Again after only 2 years they had a film over the lenses. Now they are worse. As a school teacher with a limited income I depend on my car lasting. I cannot even sell the car in these conditions for a decent price. Nissan is not holding up to the standards it should; especially safety standards. Let's hope myself or someone else does not wind up as another statistic. Let this be on records as a safety hazard complaint for the manufacturer and others who share the same occurrences. If pictures are needed, I have plenty. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my car! however, this is completely unacceptable and I am concerned for not only my safety but the safety of those around me, and all because of the manufacturer slacking in their safety standards division. Please help"

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Aug 012014

Altima

The dashboard of the car is melting. The areas on the dashboard that are affected are very sticky and can't be cleaned. With the dashboard melting, there is a glare that comes up from the dashboard onto the windshield which makes driving during the day both difficult and hazardous because of the limited visibility. I also don't know if this melting issue is causing any type of toxins or fumes to collect in the car interior.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

May 212014

Altima

The dash board melts, it creates a glare in the windshield when driving which makes it hard to see on coming traffic.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Jul 232014

Altima

Dash board is melting causing intense glare on windshield. First noticed last summer 2014 and now that hot warm weather has returned 2015 it is getting worse! dashboard is sticky/gummy. Unable to see clearly due to glare. Im am afraid to drive my car and cause an accident since it has become very difficult to drive. Glare obstructs visibility. I have always used a windshield sun shade dashboard is still hot and sticky when I return to my car and check it.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 152014

Altima

Driving home at 4pm, the glare from my dashboard affected my vision. When I touched the dashboard, it was melting and sticky. This was causing the glare on my windshield affecting my outward vision.

- Hilo, HI, USA

Apr 052014

Altima 6-cyl

The dashboard on my Nissan Altima 2009 becomes really sticky for no apparent reason. This problem becomes a safety hazard because the stickiness tends to spread to the windshield blocking the visibility. Please help!

- Orlando , FL, USA

Aug 152013

Altima

Last year right before my 2009 Nissan Altima was paid off, the dash became very sticky. This problem became progressively worse in the heat of the Mississippi sun. Dust, bugs, flora, paper become embedded in the goo. It never dries. It just stays sticky and makes a dangerous glare on my windshield. I mistakenly thought my husband or I had done something wrong by cleaning the dash, but water would not cause this mess. I finally took it to my dealership who said they didn't know what had happened and gave me a $2000 estimate to replace the dash. Really" my car does not even have 60,000 miles on it now so Nissan has stuck us! I expected better from them. I recently discovered that there are 100's of 2009 melting dashes when I googled the subject. We have owned 2 Sentra, 1 frontier truck, 1 stanza, and a maxima. I we are suffering from mental stress over this ridiculous situation! Nissan should recall these melting dash vehicles. Where is the morality???"

- Picayune, MS, USA

Nov 012013

Altima 4-cyl

I drive a 2009 Nissan ultima over a year ago I noticed something sticky on my dashboard. I had no idea what was happening. I finally realized "my dashboard is melting" I filed a complaint with Nissan but because the warranty was up they would not fix my $2,000 dashboard if I would have known this was to happen I would have never bought the car.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Altima 4-cyl

1. dashboard totally melted creating a blinding glare while driving. It is completely sticky to the touch. The glare is so blinding almost hit a pedestrian crossing the street.. the dealership where I purchased the car only offered to replace it at a ridiculous cost I cannot afford as a school teacher. It was only 2 years old, however, old enough not to be under warranty. My major concern is having an accident or hitting someone crossing a street if I get hit with the glare. Will Nissan cover damages then? 2. headlights: Plastic headlight is completely covered in film creating a visibility hazard at nighttime. Restoration processes did not work. Again after only 2 years they had a film over the lenses. Now they are worse. As a school teacher with a limited income I depended on my car lasting. I cannot even sell the car in these conditions for a decent value. Nissan is not holding up to the standards it should; especially safety standards. Let's hope myself or someone else does not wind up as another statistic. Let this be on records as a safety hazard complaint for the manufacturer and others who share the same occurrence. If pictures are needed I have plenty.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Oct 312014

Altima

On October 31st the red airbag light started flashing on my dashboard. I took the vehicle into my nearest dealership on November 13th to complete a diagnostic. I was informed that it was that there is no signal coming from the passenger occupancy sensor for the airbag and that in the event of an accident the airbag may or may not deploy. Also it was noted on the invoice that there is no sign of any damage to the wiring. Of course my vehicle is not under recall and no longer under warranty. My dashboard is also melting and the material that is used causes extreme glare. So not only do I have a large glare across my window which increases my risk of an accident but possibly no airbag to boot. I contacted Nissan since this exact same issue has been found in other years of my model and recalled. All Nissan has continued to do is say my vehicle is no longer under warranty and that they will forward my complaint for review.

- Vail, AZ, USA

Sep 042012

Altima 4-cyl

In February 2009 I purchased a new 2009 Nissan Altima. The purchase was made at maroone Nissan (now autonation) of pembroke pines, Florida. The vehicle was a gift to my teenage daughter. The dashboard is melting causing a dangerous glare, and making it hazardous to drive. The issue of the melting dashboard started in about September of 2012 while my daughter was away at college. The melting dashboard caused a shiny glare in the windshield making it difficult to see. She put a blanket on the dashboard so she could see out the windshield. In August 2013 when she was home from college she brought the melting dashboard to the attention of Nissan autonation in pembroke pines, Florida. The vehicle had 25,390 miles at that time. We have an invoice documenting this complaint. My daughter was told by the service manager to contact Nissan directly about the issue. Because she was uncertain what to do and was returning to college, the concern was not addressed. On January 18, 2014, after seeing how bad the dashboard was myself; I brought the vehicle back to autonation and spoke with the customer care manager. He indicated that our dashboard was the worst he had ever seen. He gave us the number to contact Nissan directly and initiate a case. I made contact with Nissan by calling 800-Nissan-1 number and initiated a case. Unfortunately, on January 22, 2014, I received an unfavorable response from Nissan, who denied the claim, without ever having seen the vehicle or asking for photos. I asked Nissan what appeal options might be available to me and the company indicated there were none. I find it challenging to believe that Nissan would not stand behind their vehicles, particularly when there is knowledge that a wide-spread safety hazard exists with a particular model. This specific Nissan Altima's dashboard started melting in less than four years.

- Cooper City, FL, USA

Aug 182014

Altima 4-cyl

Help, a melting and shiny sticky dash on my 2009 Altima generates a tremendous glare on the windshield and prevents me from clearly viewing the highway in front during the day. It also distors the viewing during the night due to the on-comming vehicles headlights. It is highly serious and dangerous driving safety hazard problem that could/will "it is just a timing issue" cause an accident, the dash can't be clean and is melting. It is also minimazing the value of the vehicle. Please advise if there is solution or recall from Nissan to fix this problem.

- Miami , FL, USA

Mar 042014

Altima 6-cyl

My dashboard is melting because of the sun. I contacted the Nissan dealership and they said they can't help me because my warranty expired. It is very difficult to see out my windshield because of the shiny glare from the dashboard melting. This makes driving extremely hazardous.

- Pembroke Pines , FL, USA

Apr 092013

Altima 4-cyl

Last summer (2013), I noticed that my dashboard had started to have this sticky gluey substance on it. At first, I thought I had spilled something on the dashboard and so I started to clean it. I've used both car wipes and both a damp towel and the substance does not rub off. Rather, it collected the fibers from whatever I've used and it has gotten worse (due to the houston heat of the summer). I then concluded that the dashboard becomes sticky because it is melting. It's not so much the melting dashboard that gets me (even though it does diminish the value of the car, it's only a 2009), it is the glare that the melting dashboard reflects. The dashboard reflects a powerful glare in my front view window and it has become extremely difficult to drive. I constantly have to wear sunglasses in order to help with the glare that the dashboard reflects. Over the course of the year, the dashboard has gotten so bad that I have to ask a member of my family to drive me to where ever I need to go. This is an extreme problem. If the glare is this bad for me, I can only imagine how bad to must be for older generations that own this particular car. This spreading glare has the potential to be a big problem. It could be the onset of multiple accidents and even major harm. And so I ask you if you could please have Nissan fix this problem.

- Houston, TX, USA