Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at

2009 Nissan Altima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Altima:

2009 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 062013

I parked the car and locked it with intelligent key. Came back, was able to enter the car without any problems, used the key to unlock the doors. While inside, the dashboard had two warning lights on: Key light(yellow) to the far left corner and flashing security light(red) to the far right. The car would not start. Ignition button is on lock and the steering is stiff unable to turn. Engine seems to be locked, no other lights are on. I have tried everything by the owner's manual and nothing works. I called the dealers and they told me that I would have to get it towed to the dealer and quoted me $600 to fix the problem, parts will take a couple of days, no guarantee problem will not happen again. For a recent bought vehicle, there are many issues with the car's intelligent key and in this case I have been left stranded in the middle of nowhere. Towing charges and everything will make amount close to $1000.

- West Des Moines, IA, USA

Jan 202013

Altima 4-cyl

My daughter stopped to fill up with fuel and when she tried to start the car the brake and steering wheel remained locked.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 282012

Altima 4-cyl

I went by the mall on Sunday evening with my 9 month old and 27 month old in our 2 month old Nissan Altima 2009 which only had about 21,000 miles on it when we got, but at the time of the incidence, it had 28,000 miles on it. By the time we came out of the mall and decided to go home, the car would not start because the breaks would not depress. I called everybody I could call to get a ride with my little ones home but that took a while. It got dark on us but we eventually got home. I called Nissan manufacturer the next day and reported the issue (faulty brake switch harness) which I found out that a lot of 2009 Nissan Altima's had and they advised I towed the car to a Nissan dealership which was 3 miles away. Nissan dealership towed the car for $84.50 and the fixing totaled $552.34. This is money I don't have (nursing student, very broke, and little kids), so I called Nissan manufacturer for financial assistance with fixing the car but after going back and forth with them for about two weeks, they finally called saying that they could not help.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Sep 192012

Altima 4-cyl

Brake lights not lighting & push to start not working at times. Nissan said this is a known issue with the brake light switch & sub harness. After investigating the issue on the internet I found numerous reports of this problem. When the switch fails you are not aware of your brake lights not working.

- Little Silver, NJ, USA