- September 4: Nissan Recalls 181,000 March, Micra and Sunny Cars
- August 30: Nissan Recalls Frontier and NV For Seat Belt Problems
- July 26: Nissan Expands Takata Air Bag Recall By 226,000 Vehicles
- June 28: Plastic Trim Causes Investigation of 360,000 Nissan Versa Cars
- June 27: Nissan LEAF Recalled Because of Auto Shutdown
Car Won't Start, Key Anti-Theft Light Blinking
2009 Nissan Altima (Page 1 of 2)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009-2010 Nissan Altima appears to have a defect where it occasionally refuses to start. We know the feeling, but it's just not acceptable in a car.
For the fix, Nissan dealers enjoy replacing the steering lock control unit for $800. Stranded Nissan owners have found that banging like hell on the steering lock unit at the base of the steering column will do the trick. Yes, the same unit that apparently has $800 worth of electronics.
How far do you have to drive to experience this? The average mileage at failure is just over 55,000 very short miles.
More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 60,187 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 38 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace the steering lock control unit (16 reports)
- not sure (11 reports)
- replace the brake switch (4 reports)
- replace the ignition interlock (3 reports)
- replace the steering lock unit (2 reports)
- install new steering column lock sensor (1 reports)