Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at

2009 Nissan Altima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Altima:

2009 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 11 of 30)

Dec 132015

12-13-2015 failed electronic steering lock which stranded us on the side of the road with the windows down exposing personal items and our personal safety for a part the manufacture has recognized as faulty and extended the warranty until 120 days before the part fails. 715 times" does someone have to die in a snow storm or get hit on the interstate before action will be taken on this" the part by itself was $715 from the dealer. Make this problem right before someone dies if they haven't already.

- Buda, TX, USA

Dec 192015

Altima 4-cyl

Steering lock assy. Became defective while away from home and had to be towed to Nissan dealer, was told the new assy. Had warranty good for 12month/12000miles after repairs were made. This may be a safety feature for the car itself but becomes a safety hazard for the occupants if it breaks down in a hazards area away from home or in a area of bad weather itself. The dealer informed me that there was an extended warranty of 72mons.or unlimited mileage added to the original 36mon./ 36000miles for this part. I was not notified or aware of this add-on. So it seems there was reason for concern by the car maker by adding the additional warranty. It was a out of pocket expense for me and no guarantee the car would not brake down again since I do not know if the new replacement part is any better than the one that broke! my car was beyond the additional warranty. I do not trust the car, it could break down at a really unsafe location next time if there is a next time. I need security for me and my family! thank you P.S. the car had been turn off luckily in a post office parking lot, but would not re start under any circumstance when we were ready to go on.

- Van Buren, AR, USA

Dec 242015

Was stuck at work over the weekend. Car did not work. Intelligent car key remote changed new battery and still did not work had to tow to dealer Nissan, was told to run a diagnostic test on the car, and found out the electronic steering lock is not working. Ive checked online and found out alot people have the same promble that I had. The cost to replace cost about $1200. Since too many people have the same problem. Nissan should have recall all the 09 model. I want Nissan reimburse the cost of replacing new lock.

- Lino Lakes, MN, USA

Dec 172015

When driving my car to work, I stopped for a drink; after coming out of the store, my car would not start, either with the remote fob or by placing the fob in the key port. I had aaa tow my car home so I could try jumping the car, replacing the battery in the key fob, then replacing the battery in the car with a brand new one. At that point, I saw the "key ignition" light on the dashboard. Pressing the ignition button does nothing, but the door locks respond to the key fob and the lights work fine. I searched the internet and found myriad complaints about this same issue, that it was related to the steering wheel lock mechanism. It should be noted that my steering wheel has never locked in place when the care is turned off. Concerned about the status of my car, my neighbor told us that a friend had had the same situation, with the same error message, and he was able to get the part and labor serviced at no cost to him.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Dec 112015

The steering lock has failed. I wasn't sure what was wrong at first but then after researching, I found this to be a known problem. I was stuck in a car that would not start in below freezing temps. After watching a couple of youtube videos, I was able to get my car started and able to get it home where it is still sitting. Please advise if my car is under the warranty on this part.

- Oregon, OH, USA

Dec 152015

Car left me sit due to steering wheel lock needing replaced. It affects the push start ignition and the brake pedal too. Upon researching, I found that this was a common problem and that Nissan fixed some at no charge but others had to spend $1000 and up to repair it. There are copious amounts of complaints regarding this same issue and I suspect that Nissan are fixing some to appease those who are pushing for a recall. My vehicle was stopped at a rest area on the pa turnpike to use the restroom and when I returned the car would not start when I pushed the button. The brake was also very hard to push. The key fob battery light came on and the key fob holder in the dash also was flashing. I started looking for ideas to help us on the internet and right away the steering wheel lock information came up with pages and pages of complaints regarding this same repair. We had car towed to closest dealership to have them diagnose it as the steering wheel lock. I cannot believe with all the complaints online that this has not been recalled. What if that would start a fire?

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Dec 182015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, it failed to start without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering lock assembly failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 94,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Dec 212015

My daughter went to start her 2009 Altima upon exiting a walmart and car would not start or respond. Car uses a smart key to start and instrument panel displayed key problem. Raining and cold she tried many options without any success. I told her to call aaa and have it towed to premier Nissan. The next day they determined it was the steering column control unit and it would have to be replaced. They said Nissan is aware of the problem and extended the warranty to Feb. 2015 and this date has passed therefore I would have to pay $1,093 for the repair. Nissan should have had a recall to correct this. This is a safety hazard depending on where you get stranded with no prior warning. A company like aaa can not even help you except to tow you. There needs to be a recall! I would think this could happen while you were driving and cause the steering to lock.

- Destrehan, LA, USA

Dec 202015

I left church today to get in my car only to find that my car would not start. I had to incur towing expenses for a defect that Nissan is aware of that stops working with no warning, leaving Nissan customers stranded. I was informed that the steering lock column is the problem. The steering lock column has been shown to be a defective part which is causing thousands of Nissan customers to be stranded and expensive out of pocket cost. The part needs to be recalled but instead was extended to six years only, which did not allow for the part to be replaced unless it was showing signs of being broken. This part costs $650 and labor runs about $350. Nissan needs to recall this part for 09 Nissan Altima. This continues to be an issue for 2009 and 2010 Nissan owners.

- Macon, GA, USA

Dec 172015

Steering lock failure.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Dec 122015

I went out to start my 2009 Nissan Altima. It has a push to start button. It wouldn't start. To much avail we had to have it towed to the dealership. They confirmed our thoughts, it was the steering wheel lock that went bad. Nissan apparently has known about this issue as they extended the warranty on this part to 6 years unlimited miles. Mine went out 6 months after the extended warranty. This could be a serious issue if you were stranded somewhere without being able to get your car started. This part needs to be recalled.

- Eagle Mountain, UT, USA

Nov 142015

We unfortunately are joining the growing ranks of 2009-10 Nissan Altima owners who experienced failure in the steering control unit. We were fortunate it happened in our own alley. I'd stopped the car to unload groceries and when I tried to start it again, it only let me open and lock the doors. Otherwise, it was frozen and blocking the alley to all our neighbors. We'd been on a trip in January 2015 that would have been disastrous if it happened then. (less than 36 hours after the long road trip my husband had a heart attack. If this failure happened during that drive, he wouldn't be alive today.) we had no idea there was an issue with our 2009 Nissan until it happened. This car (and two other Nissan vehicles) had been totally reliable. Nissan responded saying our warranty expired in Feb 2015 and didn't cover the almost $1200 cost in any way. We feel robbed and abandoned by Nissan. Once we researched this, we're very concerned this issue has happened to so many 2009-10 owners. This is a safety issue and should be a recall! we were looking at another Nissan and are doing better research into competitors before we take that step.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 072015

Dec 7, 2015 climbed in car at 8 am, would not start. The key light was on but the dash did not light up as normal when you put your foot on the brake and push the start button. Could not get it out of the "locked" position. Called local dealer and he offered no help, nor ideas of what could be wrong. Told me to "bring it in". didn't even tell ne how to unlock the gear so I could push car out of garage. Took 2 calls to get this info. Checked online for issues, found escl problem, called dealer back. Only then did he remember something about that issue. My car is 7 weeks out of warranty, great shape, 68164 miles. Called Nissan and spoke with Consumer Affairs, filed complaint. Received a call the next day that they were "considering" my issue/concern/complaint. Told me they would have an answer in 3 days. Why not give me an answer when they called?

- Snellville, GA, USA

Dec 082015

Steering lock control unit failure. Though vehicle is in good condition this is default from Nissan side where the system is unable to recognize its own key. Due to the software failure and lock down of steering, car cannot start and we are forced to go to dealer who will just rip off customer $1000 just to rectify there mistake during manufacturing.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 082015

My car would not start and the intelligent key warning light was on. This happened with no warning (the car drove fine 1 hour before). I was stranded and had to get the car towed to the nearest dealership. The problem was the infamous escl unit (electronic steering control lock). I was informed that the warranty had been extended to unlimited miles and 5 years...and expired 6 months ago. $1028 worth of repairs later the car will start again. No help from Nissan.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Dec 022015

My family and I were stranded in the middle of the night last week for several hours for my car to be towed cause the engine would not start and jump start the battery did not work. After towed it home and research / diagnostic, found out that it is a well know that the steering lock box is defective. However, calling Nissan dealer about it and will not make the recall on the part. My car just die after 5 years. 3 months after the extended warranty. My dealer will not fix it and Nissan will not assist to get it fix either. They keep wanting me to bring it to the deal for diagnostic, when in-fact it is obvious that the steering lock bock is disabled the car from starting. I brought it in, and they kept telling me no recall and want me to pay for it (almost $1,000), yet recommending me to fix other issues saying it could have been tune up needed that why my car would not start.. ugh!!!

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Dec 022015

He 2009 Nissan Altima has a defective "steering lock" which causes owners to be unable to start their vehicles. This defect can affect owners of the 2009 Nissan Altima without warning and without cause. When this issue occurs the only way to resolve the issue is to have the car towed to a Nissan dealership to have the faulty steering lock replaced. The car cannot be started at all. Thus, owners of the 2009 Nissan Altima continuously find themselves stuck in very inconveniant circumstances with no ability to drive their car. This can be very dangerous for drivers who are in remote or dangerous areas. Nissan is very aware of this issue. They have extended the warranty of the 2009 Nissan Altima steering lock to 6 years with infinite miles. That warranty expired May 2015. Nissan says they mailed notices, but cannot produce a copy for me to see, nor can they provide the date it to me or proof that they indeed did mail it. Due to this known issue and defect, I was stranded, had to have car towed to dealer, paid $1167 for the repair, and Nissan wont reimburse me.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Dec 042015

Our 2009 Nissan Altima hybrid died without warning. We were unable to turn the car on, nothing on the dashboard lit up except a yellow key symbol. The lights, locks, and key fob continued to work, however. I researched the issue we were having and discovered a number of consumers had similar problems with their Nissan. It is a manufacturer's defect with the steering lock which renders the car inoperable, apparently. This is not normal wear and tear. Our car gave no indication of something being wrong. It has only about 64,000 miles on it and we have had no major issues previously, and no indication that anything was wrong prior to it dying. When I contacted Nissan of marlboro, MA, the individual I spoke with diagnosed the problem over the phone. He said he was 99% certain it was the steering lock. This was confirmed once we brought the vehicle in for repair. For him to diagnose the problem accurately over the phone, they must see this issue often enough. Only further solidifying that Nissan is aware that there is a manufacturer's defect. I was told however, that despite Nissan being aware of the problem, we had missed the deadline for the extended warranty which ended in June 2015. Again, this is not due to normal wear and tear. Our car was in perfectly good condition until the moment it simply stopped working. When I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs to report the problem, I was also made aware that the reason we never heard of the problem was that they had the previous owner, michael something, listed rather than us. So the mailing may have gone to him, not us. We purchased the car from Nissan of woburn as a certified pre-owned vehicle. By the time I spoke with the second individual from Nissan, our information was updated and she claimed Nissan can not guarantee that recall information is mailed to the correct owner.

- Acton, MA, USA

Nov 292015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic steering column lock failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 97,000.

- Harvest, AL, USA

Nov 232015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed. The steering wheel locked and prevented the keyless ignition from starting the engine. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 122,000.

- Kansas City, KS, USA