- March 25: Nissan Murano Recalled to Fix Power Steering Hoses recalls | 2 days ago
- March 20: Nissan Frontier Side Airbag Lawsuit Moves Forward news | 7 days ago
- March 11: Nissan Versa Recall: Airbags Deploy From Shutting Doors recalls | 16 days ago
- March 7: Nissan Altima and Maxima Steering Lock Problems to be Fixed news | 20 days ago
- February 13: Nissan Recalls Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4 SUVs recalls | 42 days ago
Steering Wheel Lock Failure
2009 Nissan Altima (Page 1 of 21)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.
These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.
It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.
More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 87,616 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 415 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace steering wheel lock (160 reports)
- not sure (100 reports)
- replace steering lock controller unit (93 reports)
- make it recall (20 reports)
- replace electronic steering wheel column (10 reports)
- replace brake switch (8 reports)