- August 5: Infiniti M35 Hybrids Recalled To Keep the Engines Running recalls | 21 days ago
- July 25: Nissan 'ProPILOT' To Make Debut in Serena Minivan news | 32 days ago
- July 19: Takata Has Been Lying (To Everyone) Since At Least 2000 news | 38 days ago
- July 16: Nissan Recalls 2016 Sentra Over Stalling Problems recalls | 41 days ago
- June 1: Nissan Recalls Pathfinder SUVs to Fix Brake Light Switches recalls | 86 days ago
Steering Wheel Lock Failure
2009 Nissan Altima (Page 1 of 18)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.
These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.
It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.
More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 85,754 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 347 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace steering wheel lock (125 reports)
- not sure (98 reports)
- replace steering lock controller unit (82 reports)
- make it recall (9 reports)
- replace brake switch (8 reports)
- replace electronic steering wheel column (7 reports)