- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 25 days ago
- May 18: South Korea Looking to Prosecute More VW Executives news | 35 days ago
- May 9: Nissan Sunroof Shattered For No Reason, Says Lawsuit news | 44 days ago
- May 7: Nissan Recalls Versa and Versa Note Over Takata Airbags recalls | 46 days ago
- May 5: 2009 Nissan Murano Brake Issues Investigated investigations | 48 days ago
Steering Wheel Lock Failure
2009 Nissan Altima (Page 1 of 22)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.
These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.
It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.
More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 87,787 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 421 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace steering wheel lock (163 reports)
- not sure (100 reports)
- replace steering lock controller unit (94 reports)
- make it recall (21 reports)
- replace electronic steering wheel column (11 reports)
- replace brake switch (8 reports)