CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.

4.3

2010 Nissan Altima accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Altima:

2010 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Mar 262016

Altima

Melted dashboard causes terrible glare earlier this year I contacted Nissan's regional office to explain that my car's dashboard has melted. The melting of the dashboard is so terrible it creates a glare when the sunlight hits it. Please see attached images. In addition, I have no idea if the melting of the dashboard is creating toxic air, which I am breathing in each time I use my car. I have been sick all year and can only attribute this to my failed dashboard. Nissan explained to me that the only remedy is to completely replace the dashboard, but they will not incur the charges because the car is no longer under warranty. Nissan quoted that the repair would be $2,381.43, but I am not able to pay this considering I am a teacher and have to tutor to make ends meet. I have done much research and seen that many costumers face the same problem I do dating back to the 2008 models. This is a problem that Nissan should be made responsible for fixing. I have cleaned and taken care of my car since I bought it and don┐T understand why I have to pay for these changes or more importantly┐put my life or other people's lives in danger because I have a hard time seeing through my windshield. Please help the countless others and myself in this situation!!!

- Virginia Gardens, FL, USA

Aug 012015

Altima

The dashboard on my 2010 Nissan Altima is melting. It creates a glare on the inside of the windshield when I'm driving affecting my vision.

- Pooler, GA, USA

Feb 012016

Altima

Takata recall: I have a 2010 Nissan Altima. Recently the dashboard appears to be melting. There is a sticky residue on my dashboard near the windshield it is very concerning because the glare from the residue has obstructed my view on a number of occasions. I am a loyal customer of Nissan and have only driven cars from the brand this is the first time I have experienced this with any of my Nissan cars. They really should recall the issue it is quite dangerous!

- Cooper City, FL, USA

Aug 212014

Altima

My dashboard is melting causing a bad glare. I can't barley see 10 feet in front of me when driving during the day. Tried contacting Nissan to fix the issue they refuse. I even offered to pay labor & parts, but they want to make money off my fixing my safety issue. Hundreds of other drivers are facing this problem. It must cost $300 to fix this issue per vehicle and if we don't someone is going to end up hurt or dead. It would be sad to think that a life is less important then fixing this issue of visibility while driving.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jan 082013

Altima

The dashboard material is melting. There is a glare on the windshield now making it harder to see. Nissan refused to fix it.

- Apo, AE, USA

Nov 272013

Altima

With the front windshield defroster on and outside temperature near 32 degrees Fahrenheit, the front windshield suddenly developed a crack on its own that subsequently increased in size to about 12 inches long.

- Allen, TX, USA

May 082013

Altima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the driver and passenger side windows failed and would independently open. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 34,210. Returned by usps on 6/4/2013. 2nd attempt on 6/11/2013 failed.

- Longview , TX, USA