CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at NissanProblems.com.

2010 Nissan Altima accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Altima:

2010 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Mar 112015

Altima

The passenger seat airbag doesn't work. The "pass air bag off" light is on and the air bag cluster panel light is flashing. I reset the light but it came on again when someone sits in passenger seat. Looking around on the internet, this is a huge complaint for 2010 Nissan Altima. This is a dangerous safety issue.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Apr 142014

Altima

I was in an accident where I was hit at highway speed and my car spun out of control. The car was traveling backwards when it went off the side of the highway and into a ditch. When the rear of the car entered the ditch the impact was significant and my driver side seat back went all the way back. I feel that this is a significant defect, because the seat back and seat belt should keep the driver and passengers as still as possible. I don't believe that the seat back collapsing backwards is intended by the design. When I went to view the car and retrieve my personal belongings, I tried to bring the seat back to the upright position, but the lever was bent and was not able to be lifted in order to bring the seat back up. I took pictures of the bent lever and the position of the seat.

- Plymouth, MA, USA