Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.

These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.

It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.

More info & videos are available over at

2010 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Altima:

2010 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jun 012010

I have a 2010 Altima bought in March 2010 that has started to jerk while it is being driven. My local Nissan dealer has had the car for two weeks trying to figure out what is wrong. They acknowledge that something is definitely wrong with the car and it is not driving normal but after talking to Nissan technical assistance and trying to diagnose the problem I just received a call that states that their engineer said that the problem I'm experiencing is normal and there is nothing they can do. The problem is continuing to get worse and now I'm worried that while driving the engine could lose power. I do not feel that continuing to drive my car in this condition is safe. The car did not have these complications when I bought it brand new so I'm sure this isn't a normal condition. My mother has the same car bought two days after I bought mine and it does not have this condition. I have filed a complaint with the Nissan consumer department but and very concerned that they do not have urgency in this matter.

- Fulton, MO, USA