2011 Nissan Altima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Nissan Altima:

2011 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jul 042011

My vdc continue to pop on and slow down my car.

- Jennings, LA, USA

Jan 242016

The contact owns a 2011 Nissan Altima. While driving approximately 20 mph on wet pavement, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. The contact was able to avoid a crash. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 24,000.

- North Lauderdale, FL, USA

Mar 012011

The contact owns a 2011 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the brakes are depressed and the front passenger's side end began to shake abnormally. The contact also mentioned that when it rained, the vehicle would exhibit a loud grinding noise from the passenger's side front end. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician stated that the rotors and the shocks had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 20. The current mileage was 19,425. The VIN was unavailable.

- Irvington, NJ, USA

Dec 262012

Brake pedal squeak upon decompression. Found ring of brake fluid on master cylinder reservoir cap. Dealership stated overfilled and wiped brake fluid inspected mc for recall -- no leak. Ring came back after two days. Dealership stated master cylinder kicking fluid back up -- no leak -- mc replaced not due to recall. Master cylinder replaced due to fluid being kicked back up. Brake pedal squeak went away.

- Baldwin Park, CA, USA

Aug 102012

Altima 4-cyl

When driving speeds as low as 25 miles per hour, the brakes started to grab. I first noticed that when I depressed the brake, when released, the pedal seemed to stick, as if there were gum on the bottom of my shoe, perhaps sticking to the pedal. I checked the pedal and it was clear. Then I noticed that when driving at slower rates of speed, as I eased on the brake, it seemed to depress again, then the brakes would grab harder. Took it to the dealer, they said it was the brake booster--$700 estimate to fix. I did not have an extended warranty, so I took it to a private mechanic, who evaluated the issue, and came to the same conclusion--brake booster. He showed me that it was busted. He was considerably cheaper, so I had him to fix the brake booster. It fixed the issue that I was feeling in the pedal when stopping, however, the brakes continued to grab, even at slower rates of speed (<25mph). At slower speeds, the brakes grabbed hard enough to throw passengers forward in the vehicle. He contacted Nissan and found that there was a recall for my master cylinder, but only if it was leaking. My master cylinder did not appear to be leaking, but it is quite obvious that it has to be a faulty cylinder. I read several reports of Nissan's master cylinders leaking causing the brake booster to fail. The Nissan dealership in jonesboro said that they would replace the master cylinder, but the recall is for leaking master cylinders only. My mc is not leaking, and therefore, as it stands right now, it is not covered by the recall.

- Wynne, AR, USA