1.5

2001 Nissan Pathfinder suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Nissan Pathfinder:

2001 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 082008

Pathfinder

I was driving my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder on a bumpy road and hit a pothole, the right strut punched through the strut tower and I could no longer control the vehicle. I then had it towed to my local shop and found out the whole of both strut towers were corroded beyond belief. I had one repaired after I reported it to my insurance company who then charged me a point on my license for the accident. I then traded the vehicle in order to avoid paying through the nose for the other strut tower repair, I then find out Nissan did a recall on the problem. Now they refuse to pick up the phone. They even gave me a bogus E-mail account to send the paper work for the reimbursement. I feel they at least owe me the amount for the repairs and the surcharge I am still paying.

- Dedham, MA, USA

Jun 142011

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph and heard a clicking noise from the front end of the vehicle. In addition, there was difficulty turning the steering wheel and a reduction in the engine power. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 11V244000 (suspension:front). The remedy consisted of the replacement of the reinforcement plate due to excessive corrosion. The failure continued after the repair was performed. The dealer stated the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- New Paltz, NY, USA

Jan 242006

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Strut housing and structure rusting, crack in housing and mount.

- Kingston, NY, USA

Jan 302011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I recently replaced the suspension on my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. I see now that the Pathfinders have been recalled in the northern states for that problem. I called Nissan and they are telling me that my car is not on the list as I did not purchase it up North. I have driven it to charlottesville, va frequently as my daughter attended school up there. I cost me approximately $700. For this repair. I was driving on the interstate for work and could not keep the car on the road as it fishtailed all over. I immediately took it to the shop and was advised my suspension had to be replaced due to rust.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Apr 012010

Pathfinder

The driver side strut tower on my 2001 Pathfinder completely rusted through. The strut tower was disconnected from the body due to the rust. When the tower finally let go, the steering was affected causing issues steering the vehicle. The problem was only on the driver side. There is a significant amount of rust on the driver side under carriage of the vehicle, whereas the passenger side is not as bad. The disconnection of the tower caused damage to the front end suspension components.

- West Caldwell, NJ, USA

Nov 272009

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 20 mph, the contact was making a sharp right onto a freeway when he could not control the steering. The contact was able to pull over to the side of the road where the vehicle came in contact with the side rail of the emergency lane causing scratches on the front bumper. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the technicians stated the driver side strut tower was corroded and broke the steering column. The technicians replaced the strut tower, the ABS brakes sensor and the steering column. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000. Updated 03/03/11 the strut tower separated from the unibody frame because of rust on the bottom/ the steering shaft snapped when the strut tower pushed inside the engine compartment. Updated 09/01/11

- Marblehead, MA, USA

Nov 012010

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the power steering seemed to grind. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who stated that the strut tower separated and was leaning against the steering column. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer and the dealer offered to repair it at the contact's expense. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance as the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were approximately 90,000.

- Gloucester, MA, USA

Sep 152010

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 15 mph and trying to turn the steering wheel to the right he experienced heavy resistance. He was able to successfully turn the vehicle to the right but the steering wheel was very stiff. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop on four different occasions where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The failure continued to recur intermittently so the vehicle was taken to another independent repair shop where he was informed the strut tower was separated from the frame of the vehicle. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 135,000.

- Hilton, NY, USA

Apr 192010

Pathfinder

I noticed a little pull in the steering wheel when taking a turn, so I stopped in to the Nissan dealership an was advised that the shock tower has failed. This is a problem that Nissan has know about an has done nothing about it. I did contact Nissan and they said they would pay $1100. Towards the repair, which was $2100, I tailed them this is a safety defect and should have been recalled. Lucky for me an other people I wasn't driving on a highway an had this fail completely. The wheel would have fallen off an have lost control of the vehicle. They know there is a problem and have decided not to take action. I have argued with Nissan, they do know there is a problem, otherwise why would they be willing to pay without lots of questions. I have had this vehicle since 2001 and have done all the oil changes, brakes, tires, it is in great shape, an this failed because of a problem in workmanship. You can find many people that own this vehicle and have had this problem, they need to do something before someone really gets hurt or killed with a shock tower failure.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Jan 012005

Pathfinder 4WD 4-cyl

Broken left front coil springs had been replaced. The consumer noticed a slight metallic sound when driving the vehicle. The drivers side coil spring had sheared off at the base but was still resting on the pad.

- Wellesley, MA, USA

Feb 022005

Pathfinder 3-cyl

I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 4X4 SE. For about 8 months now I have been experiencing a problem with the handling of this truck. The car begins to shake extremely hard between 55 - 65 mph. The shaking is so bad it is sometimes difficult to keep control of the steering because the steering wheel shakes just as much. I have seen that im not the only one with this problem. I have gone to the dealer several times to get this problem resolved. They told me it could have been the alignment or the balancing of the wheels and I payed to get that done to no avail. The problem persists even with new wheels and tires. I dont know what it is but it should be looked into before something terrible happens to somebody because of this problem.

- Rockville, MD, USA