Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 2 of 21)

Apr 012016

2005 Pathfinder drives great at lower speeds, but occasionally sounds and feels like I'm going over rumble strips at speeds higher than 40 mph. Took it to Nissan and was told that we have the well known issue where the radiator cracks and leaks into the transmission, ruining both. The car has 95,000 miles on it and Nissan will do nothing to help. The Nissan dealership wanted $6,500 to fix. Now I'm reading that this could have been avoided with a work around. This should have been recalled, or at the very least, information given about the work around to fix prior to the trans going out.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Apr 242016

Vehicle has service engine light came on. Vehicle would not shift gears properly while in traffic and occur sporadically. Diagnostic code revealed P1754 a known issue with transmission and radiator.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Mar 192016

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle vibrated roughly. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission and the radiator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000.

- Santee, CA, USA

Feb 012013

The coolant from the radiator leaked into the transmission in turned destroying the transmission. Shorted the safety feature in the transmission to where it would not start. I was still making payments on the vechicle when this happened. Nissan told me that it was a 100K and there was nothing they could do about it. I ruined my credit and 2 years later I am still having my check garnished for this horrible recall.. they repoed the vehicle and sold it for scrap and left me holding the bill because I could afford a $7000 fix!!! someone needs to be held accountable for the horrible recall

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Jan 012016

Approx. 1 year ago I noticed that my engine coolant had trans fluid in it so I looked online and found the extended warranty. I then took the Pathfinder into hamilton Nissan in hagerstown md. They replaced the radiator and installed a rebuilt transmission. About 3 weeks ago I noticed that the Pathfinder was not shifting into overdrive. Now the transmission will not shift into overdrive and now slips in and out of 2nd and 3rd gear. This is very dangerous. I was almost T-boned this morning because the Pathfinder would not go into gear while the trans was in drive, which is why I am submitting this complaint.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Dec 012015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving 40 mph, there was an abnormal vibration to the vehicle. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator fluid leaked into the transmission. The contact was informed that the radiator, transmission, and transmission cooling lines needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000. The VIN was not available.

- Sherwood, OR, USA

Feb 022016

Transmission was damaged due to coolant leaking in from a cracked radiator

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Jan 012016

Transmission failed. Design also caused need for new radiator.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 312016

ECM replaced under recall. Radiator/transmission replaced @ 96K miles under "extended warranty." Transmission replaced 2nd time 1 year later. Transmission hoses replaced twice (during same time period). Now - 103K miles - check engine light came on: Vias solenoid valve, bank 2 catalytic converter, & oil pressure sensor switch all need replaced (possibly related to ECM relay issue)

- Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 202015

Transmission radiator ruptured. Coolant flooded transmission and destroyed transmission. This ruptured occurred while vehicle was in motion traveling on interstate.

- Berlin, NJ, USA

Dec 192015

Transmission failure just bought truck for about 3 months for daughter never drove it first putting on the highway truck stop moving in the middle of traffic in the fast lane cause two accident get it pull home then found out its the transmission an alot of people having the same problem once it cools off it will drive till the transmission gets hot then it stops working again

- Prattville, AL, USA

Dec 112015

On 12/11/2015 at approximately 6:00 pm, I was driving down a city street when my vehicle's engine shut off as I was driving at approximately 35 miles per hour. The brakes locked and I had to force the gear stick into park in the far left turning lane and nearly ran through a red light. I tried to start the vehicle and the engine stalled for about 40 seconds before re-starting. After I got the vehicle started, the "vdc off" and "slip" lights came on. The warning lights are still one and the engine has been skipping. This is the 3rd time in the past 2 weeks that I have been driving and the vehicle has just shut off. The other two shutoffs happened on highways while driving at night and approximately 60 miles per hour.

- Rembert, SC, USA

Oct 012015

Apparently there was a known issue regarding a radiator leaking fluid into the transmission causing the transmission to fail. I bought my vehicle a year ago with 117K miles and no one bothered to mention the issue to me. I did buy the extended warranty, but according to them, I'm out of luck because the warranty doesn't cover the radiator and the warranty doesn't cover "corrosion". I am disgusted by the way I've been treated and I feel like I've been scammed

- Los Lunas, NM, USA

Nov 112015

The vehicle will at times not accelerate from a stop light, or will feel like it is laboring and barely move. The shop retrieved codes P1754 and P0744, and cleared codes, which returned in short order. This condition can occur when making a left turn, or where we live, strand the car on a railroad crossing (we have had 2 young ladies killed at rail crossings in the last 2 years here). When a driver expects the vehicle to accelerate, and instead it flounders, the results can absolutely be deadly. The car has had the radiator replaced (a known defective part causing costly damage), but the transmission is now being fingered as the culprit after cross contamination of coolant and trans fluid alters the transmission function to be erratic. Ours is not an isolated case, and it seems like it is becoming increasingly typical for a manufacturer to cover-up known defects even when life and death safety concerns are obvious. The suggested remedy is a very expensive transmission replacement, costing thousands more than on other vehicles. This is not acceptable. Please help.

- Sagle, ID, USA

Oct 232015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle began to downshift independently and caused the vehicle to lose power. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled on previous occasions when attempting to make turns. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission and radiator failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Dec 152014

Drove vehicle out of parking lot and lost power in transmission. Transmission was damaged by coolant contamination from a cracked transmission line in the radiator. Resulted in a $6000+ repair at local repair shop

- Downey, CA, USA

Oct 292015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

There is a leak in my radiator which as gone into my transmission rendering it inoperable. Mechanics recommend to replace the entire transmission due to this massive design flaw Nissan has been well aware of for years....updated 12/03/15 I've spoken with my Nissan dealer as well as the dealer that looked over the car when I purchased it and both said it's a massive problem and customers have no way of knowing if or when it could occur, and therefore no way of preventing it. I understand the North Carolina consumer council filed a petition back in 2012 and that the complaint volume has been tremendous on this issue. I hope the NHTSA comes to the conclusion that this part should have been recalled. I have no family vehicle now and cannot afford to pay $7500 for a new transmission, that had no issues at all until the defective radiator got a hole. Thank you

- Danville, CA, USA

Oct 242015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while at an idle position, the vehicle shook and stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The contact was a certified mechanic and was able to determine that the transmission was damaged because of contamination of the engine coolant that seeped through a cracked at the line and contaminated the radiator. The entire transmission would need to be repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were both made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 142,741. Updated 02/12/16

- Frewsburg, NY, USA

Oct 272015

This is the same as another complaint (# 10777718) filed through this site on 9/25. I took my truck in because of the service engine check light and the tech reported catalytic converter, heater hose vacuum & valve, power steering hose, and tire gps. We have taken the truck in for the 3rd winter season and now they are saying it cost $725 dollars to repair the issue. For 3 years we have taken it in and they flushed the system, replace a sensor, and now this" also the catalytic converter costing $1380 and power steering hose at $305. I noticed 4 recalls that we were never contacted about with the engine, and we have taken the truck in numerous times for these issues and they never mentioned the recalls. Our issue with the catalytic converter is exactly the same as the above mentioned issue filed in September. We also purchased an extended warranty, and none of this is covered. I wonder who else is having the same issue with the catalytic converter"

- Laurel, MD, USA

Oct 212015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving at a low speed, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The engine's rpms increased and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Sylva, NC, USA