Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 21)

Aug 242016

Transmission failure

- Mount Dora, FL, USA

Sep 122016

2005 Nissan Pathfinder 92,000, vehicle won't start and had it towed, was told it was due to the radiator leaking into the transmission. After having spent $800 @ vadan Nissan, because my car would jerks and stop whilst driving, was told it was a coil problem, and a sensor issue, nothing was ever said to me about this huge problem the 2005 to 2010 Pathfinders are having, totally disgusted with Nissan.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Sep 032016

Transmission failure on interstate had to be towed home 50 miles

- Athens, TN, USA

Sep 162016

Driving and came to a light and the car would not move forward or reverse.

- Forest City, NC, USA

Sep 122016

Takata recall I have coolent in my transmission due to radiator failure causing my transmission to slip causing my car to crash into my house in my carport the repair for the transmission is $3800 and I'm on a fix income

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Aug 092016

Purchased a used 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Had the vehicle about 2 years. Driving home one day the vehicle started to loose power as the RPM's started to spike. We had to pull off the road in a very unsafe spot because the car could no longer move. There were no warning signs of the transmission failing. We had the vehicle towed. With a quick glance into the coolant tank, seems to have a mixture of coolant and transmission fluid. Repair cost are estimated from 2500 - 5,000+. something needs to be done about this problem.

- Winchester, VA, USA

May 012011

Radiator coolant leaked into the transmission resulting in transmission failure.

- Benton, AR, USA

Aug 082016

Our 2005 Pathfinder lost all power while driving on a local highway in our town to take our daughter to school. It has an automatic transmission and would not change out of first gear. We live up on a slight hill, and it honestly felt like I was pulling a semi behind my vehicle just to get it back home without requiring a tow. Needless to say we had to keep both of our children home from school that day because this is the only vehicle we own. It angers me that Nissan refuses to make a recall on this issue!! this transmission issue has caused us to be without a vehicle for almost a month now!! it's not always easy to find people that are willing to help you out long term!! this is a huge inconvenience to our family, & we don't have the money to pay out of pocket to get this fixed. A local mechanic near where we live said he has seen this issue tons of times, and has fixed numerous amounts of Nissan vehicles due to the crack that causes the antifreeze & transmission fluids to combine and mess up everything in the transmission over time. With this being an issue on Nissan's part, I feel that they should pay to have the problem resolved!!! my husband is out of work due to an injury and will be out for an undetermined amount of time. I work part time at a local bbq restaurant in our town, and don't bring home very much each week. I pray the corporation will do the right thing and finally recall all the vehicles affected by this. $3500 dollars is the best we can find & when it gets fixed, the person we have spoke with said they will bypass the radiator when the transmission gets reinstalled making sure we never have this problem ever again!!!! sadly we don't have the money for the repairs or I would not be making this complaint. If anyone knows of any information that I don't know of please let me know!!! I am desperate to get my vehicle back!!! we have no one to help. Thx

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Aug 222016

I needed to change all sensors because check engine light and the dvd and slip light stayed it will not start all the time and if it does it will die in the middle of had to be towed to dealer.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Aug 312016

8/31/2016 - check engine light came on during normal driving, I brought it to my local mechanic for inspection which showed the transmission has failed. This is due to the radiator and transmission intermix problem is how Nissan notes it and validated by my call to the local Nissan dealer. The car is outside the Nissan extended warranty period for this issue which is 10 years but well under the 100,000 miles as it has 80K miles at time of event. Nissan is unable to offer any financial assistance so the out of pocket cost to repair ($5-$6K) makes it not worth the repair so I'm stuck with a car that to date I have maintained very well. There was not warning signs and I am sure this problem has been going on for some time as it does not happen overnight. Very disappointing that Nissan does not take ownership of the problem that has plagued hundreds of Nissan Pathfinder owners.

- Flushing, NY, USA

Jan 012012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the radiator failed and caused coolant to penetrate the transmission. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer to have the manufacturer warranted radiator replacement performed; however, the repair did not correct the failure. The radiator coolant penetrated the transmission and caused the engine to overheat. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator and the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Toa Alta, PR, USA

Jul 292016

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving 25 mph, a burning odor emitted from the vents. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 134,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Aug 102016

Vehicle would barely pull out in drive, just stopped pulling. Checked fluid in transmission and its a milky color. Radiator coolant is milky brown.

- Whitesburg, KY, USA

Jun 302016

When driving about 40 most speed limit it felt as if I was driving on safety strips on the highway like strudder.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

Jul 222014

When operating my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder le the transmission starts to slip at speeds of 40-50 mph in motion on street's and highways.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Apr 222016

Water in transmission oil due to bad trans cooler wich is a known problem w/ these vehicles by Nissan but was never recalled.

- Manteca, CA, USA

May 232016

Contamination of transmission fluid on 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Color of coolant is purple and cloudy in overflow and radiator. Transmission has started shuttering between 35 - 45 mph. Symptoms began at 130K miles.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

May 162016

Coolant and transmission fluid are mixing! the transmission is starting to skip and the coolant is milky/ creamy looking and I added 3 quarts transmission fluid 7days ago and now have to add more. The coolant is being pushed out of the overflow do to the transmission fluid and coolant mixing together.

- Easthampton, MA, USA

Apr 202016

The dreaded coolant leakage from a faulty oil cooler causes failure of transmission and radiator.

- Woodinville, WA, USA