Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Feb 022008

I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. After filling the gas tank the gas gauge reads empty and the service engine soon warning light stays on. I currently have about 146,000 km and had this same problem when the vehicle had about 55,000 km. The fuel sensor was replaced under warranty at that time. I have been operating the vehicle like this as the cost is about $400 to replace the sensor.

- Thunder Bay, 00, USA

Oct 012009

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

2005 Nissan Pathfinder ipdm failed in the middle of traffic at 70 mph with no warning. Lost all power and left family stranded on side of the road. Had car towed home then to Nissan where they admitted alot of same problems with other 2005 Pathfinders. Now fuel sensor failed on Pathfinder which Nissan has recalled for 2006-2008 Pathfinders for same reason but not 2005 Pathfinders with same problems. Car is almost 5 years old and has had 4 batteries and has left us stranded 6 times all for electrical issues that are posted on the internet as a huge consumer problem with Pathfinders someone is going to get hurt or killed in a Nissan unless government takes a look at these problems. All internet postings are regarding same issues ipdm module and the fuel level sensor. Please help!

- Odessa, TX, USA

Sep 012009

I have a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Around 50000 miles the fuel gauge quite working properly and continues to show both accurate and erroneous indications. I will indicated properly at times and indicated improperly at times. Also the distance to empty calculator has quite working. This is a very common issue with the Pathfinders, Nissan recently issued a recall for the 2006 and 2007 Nissan for this problem. However they failed to include the 2005 Pathfinders which have numerous reports of the exact same symptoms. I have run out of fuel twice due to incorrect fuel indications. Fortunately they were both near home on unbusy streets. I have a 2 year old son and I can't afford to drive and unsafe vehicle. Heaven forbid I run out of gas on a 4 lane highway with no shoulders. Nissan knows there is a problem with these and yet neglected to include 2005 Pathfinders in their recall. They continue to deny responsibility for the safety of the people that drive their cars. The fix for this cost nearly $500. In my case it caused the check engine light to come on, which in turn means my vehicle will not pass inspection. All because of a fuel level sendign unit that was either engineered improperly, manufactured imporperly or installed improperly. Why is it that the exact same type of vehicles have the exact same problem all around the same mileage. I highly doubt it is coinsidence. In fact, Nissan recognizes that there is a issue with the fuel level sending units, yet somehow the 2005 Pathfinders don't fit into the recall. You would think with the recent issues with Toyota that Nissan would be more willing to ensure the safety of their passengers.

- Justin, TX, USA

Sep 012005

Pathfinder 4WD 6-cyl

Engine shutoff without warning in September of 2009, I started to have sudden engine shutdowns in my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. It could occur anytime and was completely unpredictable. The most dangerous times were at highway speeds with traffic behind me. I contacted my local Nissan dealer several times and the suggested a number of possibilities and checked various items without success. I wrote the Nissan Consumer Affairs department (Nov 17, 2009) and explained my situation and the danger after an internet search revealed the problem to be a computer device called the "intelligent power distribution module" or ipdm. At the time of my problem this device was on back order because of the demand for them. I paid to have my ipdm replaced because of the very serious and dangerous problem of the engine shut-off without warning, since the device was replaced, I have had no problems with engine shutoff and my vehicle runs fine. I can not believe that Nissan is not appear of the problem since appears to have started in about 2005.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Jan 022010

2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The entire car shuts off while driving when it has 1/4 tank of gas. Mine cut of while going through a busy intersection. Took it to the Nissan dealer & they said it was the idp chip. I looked on the internet and several Pathfinder owners have this same problem. This can be very dangerous. The car cuts off with no warning. The dealer told me the part could take up to 1 month to get in! when they finally got the part it cost me over $400 to put in on. This is a serious and very dangerous problem.

- Denver, CO, USA

Dec 312009

Own a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with 64,000 right now.. which is out of warranty. Had the check engine light on for couple of months.. the truck has been at the dealer and also private mechanics... nobody could find anything wrong with the car until it completely shut down on me. Wouldn't start had it towed to the nearest mechanic he said the car had electrical problems had the whole fuse box replaced paid $450 two days later the check engine light came on again took it to the dealer nothing wrong was found went back home.. right now my car is at a private mechanic... because wouldn't go more than 40 mph.... the mechanic said is the radiator which is broken and antifreeze leaked in the transmission please help.... I see there's a lot of people having the same problem these vehicles are defective just to get it fixed is close to $10,000.

- Glen Cove, NY, USA

Nov 282009

Nissan Pathfinders 2005-2009, are have a problem with the ipdm, which causes the vehicle to stall while driving. I am not sure if there has been any injuries from this problem, but the potential is there, if the driver is trying to merge into high speed traffic and this happens, an accident is sure to happen. I had this problem, as I searched the internet for a solution there are plenty of other owners having the problem, with their vehicles. The post I found my solution on states that Nissan knows of this problem, but no recall to fix the problem.

- Linwood , PA, USA

Oct 192009

The ipdm/er (fuse and relay box) failed on our Nissan Pathfinder in the middle of a busy highway with my kids in the car. The car just shutdown, all electrical failed. After doing research, it turns out alot of people are experiencing this issue. The same thing is happening with titan Nissan trucks. The car shutting off randomly can be deadly! it's one of the most scariest things to happen with your kids in the car. There is a national back order for this part from Nissan which proves that this is an epidemic problem and Nissan should makes this a national recall before someone ends up dead!

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Oct 262009

My 2005 Nissan Pathfinder has a bad ipdm (part# 284B7-zc00A) which makes the truck randomly shut down. Mine shut down in an intersection and I was almost T-boned. Dealer has told me that this is a known issue for Nissan, and looking on the internet, the problem is rampant. Thank god it didn't fail when I had my family back county leaving us stranded. Nissan is aware of this, they are redesigning the part (so I am told) - they should recall before someone is hurt.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Sep 012009

Vehicle stalls while driving, losing power, and won't restart until minutes later. This problem recurs, intermittently over the day. Took car to the Nissan dealer. Dealer was finally able to reproduce the malfunction while car was on the self-diag, results was : internal failure @ ipdm.[ECM loses power supply from ipdm.] removed and replaced part ; dat 284B7-zc00A [controller unit.] also request bg fuel induction flushing service. Total cost $531 vehicle performs good.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Sep 012009

Car cut off in traffic and wont restart, until moments later, but problem recurs.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Apr 152009

Car stalls while driving. Complete loss of power.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Feb 282009

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Since January of 2009, the fuel gauge has failed to display the correct amount of fuel in the vehicle. The contact feels that this is a safety issue because it is important to know how much fuel is in the vehicle. The vehicle has not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 68,000.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 272008

My 2005 Pathfinder's fuel gauge was working correctly until about 60,000 miles. I had about a quarter tank of gas and filled up. When I started the car the gas gauge said the tank was empty and the service engine light was on. The dealership quoted $600 to replace the sensor and said it was covered under the warranty. I've researched this issue and seems to be common. It's a safety hazard that should be fixed at the manufacturer's expense.

- Canton, OH, USA

May 262008

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 20 mph, the door ajar warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The warning light illuminated until the engine was turned off. The rear hatchback latch was not properly securing the door. The contact stated that the failure was related to a malfunction with the door striker. The vehicle will be taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was concerned of the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was 43,000 and current mileage was 46,000. Updated 10/01/2008.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Aug 012008

2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Fuel gauge reads zero, half tank or somewhere in-between when the tank is full. Service engine light comes on and will not go out unless the fuel gauge starts reading correctly (which it sometimes does). This is a known problem. Nissan has even come out with a service bulletin ntb07-069A that addresses the problem. The problem that I have is that this has happened to several people, and the repair bill for a vehicle that is out of warranty is between $400 and $600. I believe that this could be considered a safety issue and a recall should be issued if people are running out of gas due to incorrect or non-existent fuel level readings.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Aug 052005

Consumer experiencing problems getting the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder started. Four days after purchasing the vehicle the consumer started experiencing problems. The vehicle would not start three out of 10 days and had to be towed. To the dealer. The dealer determined that the vehicle needed a new computer. The consumer believes the vehicle is a lemon and want to get out of the lease.

- Floral Park, NY, USA