CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2.1

2005 Nissan Pathfinder electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 302014

Pathfinder

Car stalled while driving on interstate almost causing a crash. Dealer says it was camshaft and crank sensors charged me $609 to repair. Car had only 86,261 miles and should not have electrical problems. No recall on something that can cause car to shut off? currently having to get the fuel tank pressure sensor replaced costing another $250 not including installation. Current mileage is only 106K.

- Plant City, FL, USA

Nov 072015

Pathfinder

As I was driving on interstate 24 with a lot of traffic, I was running the speed limit about 75mph and suddenly it just turn off.my steering wheel lock up and I didn't had no control of the vehicle.me and my family was terrifying about the situation we was going threw.but we was lucky nothing happen to us.its not the first time it happen it done it a few times before.I took it to the dealer ship but they say that its not showing any codes.

- Shelbyville, TN, USA

Oct 292015

Pathfinder 6-cyl

There is a leak in my radiator which as gone into my transmission rendering it inoperable. Mechanics recommend to replace the entire transmission due to this massive design flaw Nissan has been well aware of for years....updated 12/03/15 I've spoken with my Nissan dealer as well as the dealer that looked over the car when I purchased it and both said it's a massive problem and customers have no way of knowing if or when it could occur, and therefore no way of preventing it. I understand the North Carolina consumer council filed a petition back in 2012 and that the complaint volume has been tremendous on this issue. I hope the NHTSA comes to the conclusion that this part should have been recalled. I have no family vehicle now and cannot afford to pay $7500 for a new transmission, that had no issues at all until the defective radiator got a hole. Thank you

- Danville, CA, USA

Mar 022015

Pathfinder

Issues with the transmission. Began with radiator issues. Come to find out, there has been many issues with coolant mixing into places it shouldn't. then the torque converter went out, and now the safety neutral switch and valve body. Very short engineering and problem after problem obviously known to Nissan but no recalls reported.

- Wadesboro, NC, USA

Sep 052010

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle keeps shutting off in the middle of traffic. But restarting instantly sometimes. Sometimes 5 to ten minutes.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Sep 122014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Check engine light came on, mechanic said O2 sensors were bad, & replace. Check engine light went off for a few days. Came back on. Then SUV started running roughly, losing power. Vdc/slip light came on, truck was difficult to start, then it cut off in traffic a few days later. Found research on ECM relay. Had it replaced, truck still having difficulty starting. Today it cut off in traffic again. Mechanic said camshaft position sensor cmp bank 1 bad, catalytic converter bank 1 & 2 bad. Fuel system faulty and ignition system faulty. Still paying on truck.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Nov 122013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I'm one of many victims that have endured faulty fuel sending units and inaccurate gas gauges that cause me to run out of gas while driving down the road. With such a widespread problem, it is a pure scam that no recall has been issued. Nissan simply extends the warranty to 72,000 miles, which does nothing to help the thousands of victims with more mileage. Just as they did with the radiator defect that contaminated the transmission, Nissan is getting away with offering help up only to the point when the problem begins to appear. This makes them appear they are doing something, but they are doing nothing for the vast majority of victims. How can you let them get away with this approach? it leaves victims without help, and leaves obviously defective cars on the road. It's dangerous to run out of gas on the side of the road, especially when you live in cold climates and have small children. Help.

- Booen, NC, USA

Mar 062014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Was on interstate and transmission went out while I was driving with my twin nieces in the car.it was a terrible experience and scary.I don't understand if a company builds something that is faulty how do you not support fixing the problem.regardless of miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Seffner, FL, USA

Jan 232014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle was not wanting to accelerate immediately. Took it in for an oil change and had air filter replaced, and check the check engine light. That gave a bunch of codes that all related to transmission. Took it to transmission specialist who said that the radiator cracked and leaked into the transmission. Work to be done is replace radiator, rebuild transmission, and install external coolers. Shop said this is a known issue with the 2005 Pathfinders. Cost is about $5000. They said this also ruined the computer on the transmission.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Sep 082013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My car would not start one morning so I had to call a tow truck to take it to my mechanic, he called me to tell me that the radiator was allowing moisture or water to go into the electrical part of the transmission and the transmission has completely fried. I got a quote of $4000 to $6000 to fix or rebuild it. He then told me there are thousands of articles online about the problem and that since my car was at 109,000 miles there was nothing Nissan would do about fixing it even though there was nothing I did to cause the problem!!! I still owe $8500, as I have only had the car for 2 years, and I sure can't go buy another car. I have 3 small children so now I have no car, can't afford another and Nissan will do nothing to help.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jun 032013

Pathfinder

2005 Nissan Pathfinder was locking up & stalling at low speeds June 2013. I took it to Nissan & paid $400 for supposedly a bad camshaft & bad crankshaft. Not more than a month later the vehicle is stalling yet again. Furious I took my vehicle to a non Nissan dealer. The other mechanic felt ECM recall & faulty ECM was the cause. He took it back to Nissan & insisted the do the recalled part & the bad ECM. Service was upset that he went in there telling them the problem. They free of charge got my car going again. Supposedly my key had "reset" itself. Which "could be caused by a battery being dead for too long or being jump started". our battery was new & only maybe 6 months old. Nissan service manager claimed she checked the ground & it was all ok. Just the catalytic converters needed replacement for about $2000 but were not the cause of stalling or the key resetting itself. She insisted the ECM was good & the recalled part had nothing to do with it. A week later & here I am again with a car that wont start. This time the Nissan tech came to the store where I was stranded at. His machine couldn't even read the codes & he said maybe it was ground wires in my dash or the ECM but hard to say unless I paid to have it looked at again! of course I have no choice but for them to look at it. I wouldn't mind as most for minor repairs/maitenance but it seems this year/model is pure crap. After reading other complaints I realize that my car shaking at 60+ miles when I do hit the freeway is a huge problem as well! we live in a small town where we don't usually drive those high speeds so I never really thought much of it until now. Nissan knows very well these are huge problem cars yet doesn't care! these vehicles are not safe. The stalling has happened at intersections or driving!!

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Jun 032013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Pathfinder has on numerous occasions, just stopped running and turned off. It does this while sitting idle, say in line. It does this while driving down the street. It just turns off! now I'm having trouble re-starting it!

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 262013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

From stop transmission failed to engage. Checked fluid found water in transmission from failed cooling line thru radiator/ trans cooling line.

- Brookings, OR, USA

Feb 282013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

During the month of December 2012 I had my Nissan truck serviced. The diagnostic test recommended to replace rear differential fluid, replace cabin air filter, replace windshield wiper blades, air filter, perform engine coolant exchange, transmission fluid exchange, power steering system fluid exchange, perform brake system fluid exchange, and fuel injection. I also had to replace the catalytic converter, which was done by Nissan. I had all of these services performed by the Nissan automotive department. On February 28 2013, my service engine soon light comes on along with sensor light indicating a door is open. However, no doors were open. I take the truck back to Nissan, and they tell me the transmission is about to go out!!!! how is this possible? I have always taken my truck to Nissan to perform the service. I am outraged!!!! all of the service needed has always been performed by Nissan. Please help!!!!

- Mansfield, LA, USA

Oct 172012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

2005 Nissan Pathfinder. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle fire that was caused by a defect. The consumer stated the vehicle caught on fire while his wife was driving. His wife felt a jerking motion when she pushed down on the accelerator. His wife pulled over, when suddenly another motorist informed her the vehicle was on fire. Once she exited the vehicle, there was a loud boom noise, which was believed to be the battery exploding. Within in seconds, the uncontrollable flames literally engulfed the entire vehicle. An investigator believed the cause of the fire was a failure in the transmission.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Aug 242011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Car either stalls out, turns off, or rapidly decelerates at random times. Transmission not shifting or staying in gear properly causing near collisions on several accounts, stalling in the middle of intersections, etc... mechanic said coolant in transmission and transmission fluid in coolant system. Seems to be triggering multiple mechanical failures codes from transmission, to misfires, to O2 sensors. Afraid to drive. It's been sitting parked for multiple months very dangerous!

- Buda, TX, USA

Jul 212010

Pathfinder 6-cyl

At 60,000 miles my engine, catalytic converter failed. Nissan replaced these components. Shortly after... winter 2010-2011 car would not heat while idle. Had coolant replaced. Summer 2011 acceleration power issues/shaking. Took car to dealership (North point Nissan in little rock). Replaced recalled part (relay switch) but refused to examine power/slippage/heating issues because the diagnostics reported I had a bad battery. Did not place one of their batteries into my Pathfinder to find problem but sent me on my way to get a new battery. Also telling me that bad batteries cause cars to do crazy things at O'reilly's auto store they tested my new battery and it tested fine. Unbeknownst to me all of the signs my car was exhibiting were the tell tell signs of the radiator/transmission defect. I am still unsure why they did not pick up the symptoms and properly diagnose my automobile. Problems persisted... the next winter same issue... more coolant. In June 2012 my Pathfinder would not start...diagnosed with transmission radiator issue that thousands have experienced. Nissan sent a warranty extension to most owners of Pathfinders. My Pathfinder was not included in this extension..."??" for whatever reason they believed this defect did not apply to certain batches. Had Nissan sent me a warranty extension I would have immediately taken my car to be repaired. As it stands now my Pathfinder sits waiting.. please hold Nissan accountable.

- Maumelle, AR, USA

Apr 022012

Pathfinder

I began to have trouble when attempting to accelerate, the car appeared to stay in low gear. Took it to Nissan they recommended to replace the radiator and transmission for $5,000! I bought this car on good faith knowing Nissan is a quality product and this is now happening. Nissan apparently knows about the issues with a leak starting in the radiator, and leaking fluids into the transmission, which causes the transmission to go out. Nissan extended the warranty on the radiator till 80,000 miles knowing about this problem, but after doing research everyone having the problem is over 80,000 miles! Nissan will not do a recall! this is unbelievable. I paid very good money for this car, and now have to spend another $5,000 to repair, with a known problem that Nissan will not cover. I will never purchase another Nissan vehicle, since they do not apparently care about their customers.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Mar 012012

Pathfinder

While driving vehicle stalls and shuts down without warning. Vdc off and slip lights come on in dash board has happened multiple time in last four weeks. Nissan dealership had vehicle for nine days and could not recreate problem when picked up from dealership vehicle died on way home.contacted dealership said nothing they can do without them witness the problem. Now vehicle sits useless in carport.

- Blountstown, FL, USA

Dec 162011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Noticed that fuel and oil pressure gauges would not register fuel or oil levels correctly, the miles till empty will not work. We have no idea when we are going to run out of fuel, started getting worse, than notice the check engine light came on, had vehicle diagnose, turned out that both the fuel and oil pressure sending units needed to be replaced, there are numerous Pathfinders with the same problem but there are no recalls on these issues. This repair is very costly and is dangerous to be driving without the fuel and oil sending units. Why are there no recalls? please help!

- Tallahassee, FL, USA