Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 3 of 19)

Dec 312015

At first I thought my heater was the problem. I took my truck down to the dealer for inspection, and a mixture of coolant and transmission fluid was noticed. The dealer told me I was going to need a new transmission, radiator, and hoses. They said all of that would cost me $8,000.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Dec 172015

Our 2006 Nissan Pathfinder was having issues where it would shutter heavily while trying to accelerate, the power would drop off and the car would rev high. After taking it to the local Nissan dealer, they found the cat converter bad and the plugs fouled. They fixed that and the car ran "better" but was not quite running perfect again. Several months later we were suspect of a similar issue as last time where the car would lag before shifting especially when we would step on it. So, we took it back to Nissan and this time they found the issue that thousands of people are having where the radiator cracks and leaks coolant into the transmission. After being quoted $5900 for the fix, I asked about this issue I've seen online and not until then did they look into it and see that Nissan put out an extended warranty on this matter. I still have to pay a $3000 deductible which is bs but it is better than $5900

- Tunkhannock, PA, USA

Dec 122015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently as the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that coolant from the radiator leaked into the transmission which caused the transmission to be severely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 113,000.

- Randolph, MA, USA

Dec 072015

While driving on turnpike at 75mph transmission slipped gear started shuddering whole truck and lost speed. Attempted to step on gas to get to shoulder of road and rpms just went up but wheels did not move. Almost was hit by multiple vehicles. Attempted to manually shift vehicle to get it to shoulder and had vehicle towed. Transmission is junk due to coolant leaking.

- Standish, ME, USA

Nov 082014

I bought this SUV brand new back in 2006, never had major problem till now. We just found out Nissan's radiators are a huge problem they leak into the transmission and that explains why our transmission died. While I drove on the freeway the transmission slipped. Luckily the car didn't stall after I pulled in the driveway. I brought it to the repair shop they said the coolant leaked in to the transmission. They told me that I needed to have the transmission replaced because it got coolant in it and damage the inners.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Sep 152015

Transmission needs to be replaced due to radiator fluid leaking into transmission. Nissan had an agreement to help cover costs but it only covered vehicles with less the 100K miles.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Nov 122013

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle shook violently and the engine stalled. The vehicle was able to restart after four attempts. The failure recurred on one occasion. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator welding failed and was draining coolant into the transmission which needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000. Updated 03/15/16

- Polson, MT, USA

Sep 012015

I have a Nissan Pathfinder with 88,000 miles on it. Somehow coolant leaked into my transmission causing severe damage. Nissan is telling me oh well since my warranty was up at 5yrs 60,000 miles. I've heard that this is a known problem with Nissan and that they aren't doing anything to help. Does anyone have any ideas"?" thanks!

- Encinitas, CA, USA

Jul 062015

Brought my vehicle into the local Nissan dealership in 2013 for a basic service and oil change. The complaints about the radiator/transmission cooling system were well established. There was no documented information in the service visit file on my 2006 Pathfinder to show that an inspection for this known defect was done. This brings us today where my Pathfinder currently sits at the Nissan dealership in need of a new radiator and transmission. As a result of the defect, while driving my truck started to overheat and then the transmission dropped into 1st gear while going 50 mph. While in traffic with one of my children in the car, this caused the vehicle to rapidly decelerate. So now I have to decide to pay for this repair, that is done using the same parts with no guarantee it will not happen again. This is the third serious issue that I've had with this truck.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 162015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving 5 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle hesitated and jerked before moving forward. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission and the radiator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Aug 082015

It was on Saturday Aug 8th, while on a family week end get away, while driving in stop and go traffic in the carpool lane of the freeway, the transmission started to slip and jump a couple of times.. I was pressing the gas pedal with no movemen, I didnt know what to do, so I turned it off and back on again and put it in 44 fearing for the safety of my family that was with me, I got it to move and pulled it over to center devider. I turned it off again and took it out of 4X4 and let it set for a few minutes. We were going to call aaa, but I decided to try it again, and was able to drive away safely. That was 2 weeks ago, I have only driven it around my house and haven't had that happen again. I am hesitating taking it to the dealer because I was just there a couple of months ago replacing the timing chain tensioner. $1850

- Riverside , CA, USA

Aug 192015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. While the vehicle was stopped, it started to accelerate independently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the mechanic stated that coolant from the radiator was leaking into the transmission. The mechanic also stated that the radiator and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 156,000.

- Sylvania, GA, USA

Aug 032015

I took my Pathfinder in to the local Nissan dealer for a check up--chugging at 35mph, check engine light sporadically goes on and off, gas gauge stopped functioning. Nissan ran the diagnostics and told me the check engine light is because I need to pay $500 to replace the fuel sensor. I believe this is a part that was previously recalled. I don't know if Nissan considers the fix once and done but vehicles driven in salt and sand winter conditions will need extra attention. The transmission trouble is something Nissan knows about but refuses to recall. I was told I needed to replace the radiator and transmission--over $5000. If Nissan knows about these problems, why must I, a now unhappy owner, pay for these repairs?

- St. Louis Park, MN, USA

Aug 142015

Radiator has been leaking into the transmission which has caused it to fail.

- South Boston, MA, USA

Aug 042015

My cars radiator cracked and leaked into the transmission. The mix of coolant and transmission fluid damaged the transmission and quite possibly damaged my engine. Nissan knows about the radiator because they extended the warranty on it. The repairs for this incident are high the Nissan dealer I took it to quoted me $4,591.43 to replace the transmission and the radiator and that is with the warranty they claim they have on it. The dealer also told me any other damage caused by this faulty radiator would not be covered and I would have to pay for the repairs to any other components as well they told they me might be an additional $2,000 so nearly $7,000. I had know choice but sell the car off as scrap as the repairs would cost more than the car itself. A failure of all these parts at once is a safety hazard to everyone.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 082015

I am in the middle of a road trip with my children and suddenly my Pathfinder would not accelerate going uphill. I thankfully made it up the hill and onto a highway on ramp. The grace of god is all that kept me from being struck by a tractor trailer taking the same exit. The Pathfinder shuddered and I pulled into the shoulder (a blessing that there was just enough space for one) and it turned off right there. Not even 85,000 miles on an '06 Pathfinder and I had to have the steering column replaced after something broke it in it 2 yrs ago, now this. I had it towed to the closest Nissan dealer, 35 miles from where it stopped and hundreds of miles from home. The dealer told me it was the known issue with the cheap plastic radiators and transmission. I am now in a rental car, looking online for a hotel (I was planning on driving up to Canada and an now stuck in Ohio), and have to pay $3,000 to get this fixed because of the age of the car. Nevermind that it is a known issue!!

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Jun 202015

The transmission of my Pathfinder went bad because of defective radiator. It mixed transmission oil and antifreeze in the transmission. It will cost me 6K+ to repair. I read a lot of people had this problem and I want Nissan to fix it.

- North Bergen , NJ, USA

Jun 042015

As I was driving on a residential road my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder hesitated to move as I pulled over I noticed leaking from underneath my truck. I open up the radiator cap noticed that transmission fluid in the radiator fluid has mixed

- Philadelphia , PA, USA

May 302015

I backed out of my driveway onto the main road and went to put the vehicle into drive and it would not go into drive. When I got it to the repair shop they said that the radiator had leaked into the transmission and caused it to ruin the transmission.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Oct 252014

Transmission is shaky and jerks when shifting, apparently Nissan knew about radiator coolant leaking into the transmission line!!!

- Bel Air, MD, USA