Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 2 of 19)

Jun 062016

On highway driving home from work when transmission suddenly failed, causing a dangerous situation for myself and fellow drivers. It was a very harrowing experience, to say the least. It now sits with the mechanic, who informs me that the dreaded engine coolant/transmission contamination issue has occurred...unfortunately, my vehicle is over 10 years old and over 145,000 miles, so the recall notice does not apply...I now have to come up with $5,000 for can Nissan ignore this issue and neglect their customers?

- Brick, NJ, USA

Jun 032016

On the second day of owning my Pathfinder I noticed a vibration when I was driving around 40 mph. I took it into the shop less than a week later to have the transmission flushed and to disconnect the radiator from the transmission (did this due to research we found on the internet). The mechanic did see that my transmission fluid was cloudy meaning the coolant was leaking into the transmission. My vehicle was working great for about two weeks until one day I noticed a jerky feeling when driving my vehicle on a city street. That jerky feeling shortly turned into the vehicle shaking when shifting, which turned into not shifting at all after stopping at a red light. My vehicle would barely accelerate, mostly engine revving, luckily I was on a hill where I could coast to the side of the road. This occurred within 5-10 minutes, very quick, little warning. This could have been a very dangerous situation and could have ended worse than it did!!!

- Madison, WI, USA

May 162016

Check engine light came on, diagnostic for auto trans sensor. Mechanic flushed transmission then couldn't replace sensor due to on going problem with radiator leaking coolant to transmission

- Florence, SC, USA

May 082016

Coolant leaked into transmission, destroying the transmission, and rendering vehicle useless without thousands in repairs

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Apr 192016

Transmission needs to be replaced due to coolant from the radiator leaking into transmission.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Feb 272016

Car shakes violently when accelerating and jerks. Have been told I probably have a crack in raidiator and fluids leaked in transmission will be thousands to fix. After looking on internet. I see many people with problem and Nissan is not covering costs.

- Steger, IL, USA

Feb 292016

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving various speeds, the transmission began to slip gears without warning. The intermittent failure recurred and became progressively worse. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the radiator coolant leaked into the transmission fluid, which caused internal damage to the transmission. The mechanic stated that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 143,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 242016

While driving on interstate 25 in South denver, my Pathfinder began to sputter and stall. The engine started to overheat as I pulled into a service station about two miles away. I had it towed to christian brothers auto in parker Colorado. A radiator part blew, the engine overheated and was destroyed. The steam from the plastic radiator part also damaged the main computer. It was close to $10,000 for all repairs related to the radiator part failure. Approximately 8,000 miles later, my daughter and I were driving on I-70 near the vail, Colorado exit, and the Pathfinder started to jerk violently on the highway going 65mph. I was able to pull over to the side of the road. Scary experience for us both. This happened today, 03/24/2016. Smoke was coming from under the car. I had it towed to avon auto in avon Colorado. They said the transmission is damaged, but they did not have time to look into it further. Please call or email me with further questions. 303-726-6211 or

- Vail, CO, USA

Mar 212016

Coolant from a faulty radiator leaked into the transmission. Ruining the transmission requiring a total replacement.

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Mar 162016

Total transmission & radiator failure due to coolant leaking into the transmission.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Nov 052015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the vehicle was constantly remaining stuck in first gear and in reverse. The vehicle was towed to the residence and then taken to a dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle was also inspected and diagnosed by more than one independent mechanic. The mechanics all informed that there was a failure in the transmission due to the radiator having an internal premature fracture, which caused the coolant to leak into the transmission. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the radiator and the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 142,320.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 022016

Known problem by Nissan where radiator fluid leaks into transmission and ruins transmission. Repair cost of $3900. No recall.

- Sanford, FL, USA

Jan 012016

The transmission failed on my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder due to a poor engineering issue from Nissan. This problem is a very dangerous problem. Transmission can fail at anytime.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Feb 062016

Driving down the road the transmission started slipping and quite pulling in traffic and was almost hit from rear on the interstate. Found out radiator failed and filled transmission full of coolant and caused complete failure of both systems.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Jan 282016

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. While attempting to complete a left turn, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator hose cracked and leaked fluid into the transmission, which contaminated the transmission. It was diagnosed that a component within the steering column fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 157,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 152016

Radiator failure 1/7/2011 at 73,958 miles, causing transmission failure, repaired under warranty by Nissan dealer, then again failure at 1/15/2016 150,500 miles - same problem.

- East Brookfield, MA, USA

Jan 182016

Vehicle jerks and stalls and even cuts off during driving. I was driving on the interstate and went to change lanes and the engine just shut off. I tried to pull to the side of the road quickly but I had no engine power. I coasted to the shoulder of the road and called my husband to pick me up. I had the vehicle towed to my mechanic and he advised us that the automatic transmission fluid had contaminated the anti-freeze and vice versa and that I'd need a new transmission and radiator installed for $5500. He also added that Nissan had just lost a class action lawsuit to repair the vehicles affected but the catch is that your vehicle can not have over 100,000 miles on it. From my research in the forums, the issue does not arise until the vehicle mileage exceeds 100,000, so we're basically screwed for repairs on our Nissan with 100,001 miles or more. I'm double screwed as I have 2 2006 Nissan's. my other vehicle is currently inoperable due to atf contamination.

- West Melbourne, FL, USA

Dec 302015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 60 mph, all the instrument panel warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle stalled and failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the transmission and radiator were replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000. Updated 03/09/16

- Renton, WA, USA

Nov 032015

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving 40 mph, an abnormal sound emitted from the vehicle. An independent mechanic diagnosed that the transmission fluid was mixing with the engine coolant. As a result, the transmission and radiator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 126,000.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jan 012016

Coolant leaked into transmission causing car to not start and not usable.

- Hayward, CA, USA