CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 19)

Dec 172016

Pathfinder

Total transmission failure on I95 in Connecticut,10pm at night, at 55mph, with family in car. Coolant leaked into the transmission causing a total transmission failure. Nissan knows about this problem and did not contact vehicle owners to warn of the problem or offer suggested repair. Replacing the radiator would have been a $300 fix. Instead Nissan offered no warning and the extremely dangerous transmission failure on an interstate at night happened. Total cost to repair was $4381, plus a week car rental.

- Milford, CT, USA

Nov 162016

Pathfinder

The transmission and radiator fluid mixing and causing transmission to fail. I see that you have had many complaints about this issue and you choose not to help the consumers. This is a very dangerous issue and a very expensive repair. This is obviously a continuing problem and an extended warranty isn't fair to the consumer because this is a faulty issue with this model transmission/radiator.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Nov 162016

Pathfinder

The transmission and radiator fluids are intermingling and has caused my transmission to fail. It has ruined the transmission. It is my understanding that this has happened to thousands of the same make and model.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Dec 232016

Pathfinder

Radiator and transmission fluids mixed causing massive radiator blow out and replacement.. cost of $2000 then after being told the transmission survide and limited driving now a few thousand miles later and about a year later now the transmission is shot no reverse and only one forward gear!

- Omaha, NE, USA

Dec 072016

Pathfinder

This sub has a problem when speed after 35 mph. The engine has to go high revolution 4500 or 5000 RPM wich is not normal. To keep at 50mph.the tramision doesn't gear properly. I took to Nissan dealer they said is the tramision has water fron the radiator. The coolant majestic the tramision fail. It cost over $5000 for rapair.it need new radiator.

- Amityville, NY, USA

Sep 252016

Pathfinder

I'm a owner of a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. This vehicle has major transmission issues. Vehicle shutters and jerks while driving 20 to 30 mph!!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 202015

Pathfinder

Radiator coolant leak into transmission caused complete engine failure while driving on a 6 lane highway. Ability to accelerate or maintain speed ceased when pressing gas pedal. Coasted on slight downward hill for 1/4 of a mile or a little more allowing time to turn onto a side street where vehicle stopped completely.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Aug 222016

Pathfinder

Defective transmission coolant system caused transmission to "slip" making it dangerous to drive.

- Buena Vista, VA, USA

Jul 012015

Pathfinder

In 2012, soon after we purchased our used 2006 Nissan Pathfinder, we knew it was a mistake. Not only did the fuel indicator not work (noticed the day we drove it off the lot) the SUV just didn't feel right while driving. I have been stranded in 100 degree weather on numerous occasions because the fuel indicator says I have fuel, but the light would immediately come on, and the car would cut off & lock up while I was driving it! fast forward to last year, 2015, we started experiencing problems when shifting into and out of park/drive/reverse. The transmission was slipping and sometimes wouldn't even change gears, just keep revving up the engine and not going anywhere. It has left my children and me stranded on numerous occasions since then. Finally, about 6 months ago, the Pathfinder decided to not move out of park at all after cranked. Today, 9/14/16, the transmission left me stranded in the middle of heavy 5 O'clock traffic. I barely had it pulled off the road when I almost got rear-ended! the transmission won't change gears, won't propel the car forward (or backwards) and the shop said it needed a whole new transmission, and maybe a new radiator! I am a student and my husband is in law enforcement - we certainly don't have an extra $4,000 lying around for repairs to a vehicle that should have been recalled! so, it is parked in our driveway, completely immobile and we have a car payment coming up next week (and every month afterwards). We are underwater, still owing $8,000 for a car we thought we'd drive forever, that is valued at around $4,000 on a good day with no transmission issues. Something has to be done! Nissan needs to repair our car asap!

- Clemson, SC, USA

Apr 112012

Pathfinder

Vehicle would hesitate badly while driving and almost caused an accident. When taken to a mechanic to fix issue, we found that the transmission fluid had turned pink. The technician stated that at fluid and coolant had mixed together. We had to have the transmission and the radiator replaced.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Sep 012012

Pathfinder

When I had about 87,000 miles on the vehicle, it started vibrating when I reached about 40 miles an hour. From there, the heat wouldn't work when I would stop at intersections or letting the car idle. I then had my coolant levels checked, and discovered my coolant was mixed with radiator fluid. I had the radiator replaced, and the vehicle drives, but only up to about 40 mph. Trying to accelerate beyond 40 mph and the engine revs high. Turns out my transmission is slipping as a result of the engine coolant getting into the transmission. The only way to continue to use my vehicle is to have the transmission rebuilt/remanufactured at a tune of $5,000. Well, I've already paid ~$40,000 for the vehicle, alone (excluding other repair items since I've owned it). The fact that I need to replace a major power train component to use such an expensive vehicle is beyond comprehension. Until the manufacturer (Nissan/infiniti usa) takes responsibility for their major mishap, I discourage everyone I know from purchasing their vehicles. I bought a vehicle... one that should Transport me from a point of origin to a point of destination (what it is designed to do). I didn't pay $40,000 for a hunk of plastic and metal to take up space in my driveway. Someone needs to do something about this major malfunction as expediently as possible. This should not be permitted to take place in the modern usa that we live in. Otherwise, what purpose does federal commissions serve if the citizens aren't protected from such fraud?

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Aug 172016

Pathfinder

I have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder with 91,450 miles. I notice a slight slip in the transmission on the way to work. I work at a auto repair shop. They took it for a test drive and found nothing. Approximately two weeks later, it really started to slip to the point I had to pull over, because it was not shifting correctly. When it was brought in to the shop again it did nothing. I called the local Nissan dealer in stroudsburg pa and was told there was a "silent recall" and to check the fluid if it was a milky color, pretty much I was going to be without a car. I always took care of my car and for this to happen was a real blow. The dealership told me pretty much the repair exceeds the value of the vehicle. I did check the value of my car was approximately $6-7000 for the shape that it was in. That's a lot of money to lose on a vehicle. Also, the hazard of not shifting properly could have caused an accident, I had to pull off the side of the highway until I could get it to shift and this kept repeating it self over and over. Nissan had a class action settlement, which when I called Nissan directly they said it did not include my VIN number. I believe Nissan knew this was a defect and only if you complained about it did you get attention from the company. I had an address change so I do not know if I received any information on this type of issue. I was the only owner of this vehicle and believed that Nissan should make good for the repairs it will cost.

- Saylorsburg, PA, USA

• 1,106,674 miles
Had to have steering column replaced due to it breaking and causing hard steering and no control of wheels. Barely made it home. Also the transmission had to be flushed and by passed due to cooler getting water in transmission. Both of these are safety items and Nissan dealer says not enough complaints about these problems. Cost me $3400 in repairs which had to be done due to safety reasons. The car was in motion each time on freeway and had to stop and get it towed to mechanic because it was unsafe to drive anywhere.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Aug 132016

Pathfinder

I was pulling into a parking space slowly with my foot on the brake, rolling into the space. As I braked a little bit more in order to come to a stop (I never took my foot off the brake), the car suddenly revved up, accelerated, and crashed right through a fence. I was able to slam it into park to get it to stop.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Nov 292014

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that there was contamination of radiator fluid in the transmission and that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. While the vehicle was previously in park, there was engine oil leaking underneath the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator was leaking fluid into the transmission and that the radiator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Pathfinder

Radiator cracked leaking coolant into the transmission that is impacting the ability for transmission control module to function properly. Now, while driving, the car randomly stalls and loses all power. While on the highway, it has become necessary to restart the car while rolling in neutral to avoid having to switch lanes into faster moving cars. I've been informed by Nissan that it's a common problem and an $8000 repair to replace the radiator, transmission, transmission control module, and flush everything out.

- Catonsville, MD, USA

Feb 102015

Pathfinder

Coolant in transmission.! because of bad radiator.

- New Albany, IN, USA

Jul 112016

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle lost power without warning. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road and towed to a local dealer who diagnosed a transmission failure due to a radiator leak. The dealer completely rebuilt the transmission. The failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to another dealer where it was diagnosed that the rebuilt transmission caused an "inter cooler failure". the manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that it was not the manufacturer's problem. The contact was referred back to the dealer that installed the rebuilt transmission. The dealer stated that the manufacturer was aware of the rebuilt transmission and referred the contact back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer stated that nothing could be done. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 10V517000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 168,000.

- Lafayette, GA, USA

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that when he took his vehicle to the mechanic for maintenance, the mechanic stated that the vehicle coolant was abnormal. As a result, it was diagnosed that the transmission fluid and coolant had mixed. The radiator and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000. The VIN was not available.

- Jasper, IN, USA

Jul 012016

Pathfinder

Raditor leaks coolant in transmittion now my transmittion is not working and the coolant has transmitton fluids in

- Spruce Pine, NC, USA