Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2007 Nissan Pathfinder drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder:

2007 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 9 of 15)

Nov 282013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Car purchased in Sept of 2013, was speeding up from a stop at about 10 mph and the transmission started to slip. It has done it more than once, about 2 weeks ago I was crossing the railroad tracks and it shuttered and jerk, finally getting over them which was extremely scary with my 9 and 2 year old in the car with me. This past week the car has over heated 3 times. The last time leaving me stranded in -5 degrees temperature with my 9 year old daughter. I have since had to borrow a car seeing this Nissan is putting my family in danger every time we drive it. Since it was just purchased with 79,000 I still owe on the vehicle which is extremely upsetting. I have done research since and have see several people with the same problems. I will be taking the vehicle to the dealer this week to clarify this is the same issue as all the others. What upsets me even more is the car was sold to me from a Nissan dealer with 79,000 miles and was never mentioned to me of the extended 80,000 miles warranty, since then I have exceeded the 80,000 and am required to pay for this problem that should clearly be a recall. If there was still a warranty at 79,000 why wasn't this issue fixed by the dealer!!! please do all you can to help all these poor families out there!! thank you

- Cecilia, KY, USA

Jan 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle has not been warming up for about 2 weeks, never thought it was anything serious, thought it would be a heating coil or something, took it to the dealer on 1/3/14 to get an oil change and for them to look at the problem and the technician came back and said "oh you need a transmission and radiator bring the car back on Tuesday" like it was something common. Just looked into the complaints did not know this was a common issue with the vehicles, needless to say this will be my last Nissan. I purchased a extended warranty which they did ask me, however I did not know about the class action suit that would have covered the issue until today 1/8/14.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 262013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Transmission went out going down the road. Stuck in overdrive.

- Boaz, AL, USA

Feb 152013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My wife was driving with kids in the vehicle when power in the transmission when to nothing then sporadically started working and not. She intelligently was able to avoid an accident and get the vehicle to a side road in a boat ramp parking area where the vehicle would not run in any gear. I was called and made aware of the situation and called my parents to pick then up for this was our only vehicle of transportation. After work my dad, uncle and I had the vehicle towed to our home where it has set since. Due to finding out that Nissan already had a class action lawsuit over this and the ruling with the mileage on my vehicle does not fall into any compensation or assistance to be fixed though the vehicle is only six years old. Just don't understand how transmission failure on a busy road does not constitute a safety recall. My understanding of issue doesn't seem to be mileage related as much as time of the problem to happen.

- Frankfort, KY, USA

Nov 272013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was on expressway, driving approximately 60-65 miles per hour and without warning car lost all its ability to accelerate or maintain speed. Car engine would rev when you pressed on the accelerator but the car would not respond. Vehicles behind me had to hit on there brakes and go around me as I attempted to steer vehicle to the side of the expressway. Once vehicle came to a stop, my transmission would not engage in any gear leaving me stranded. I had to have vehicle towed to my home. I was informed by Nissan that engine coolant had leaked into my transmission and ruined my transmission. I have since found out this is a common problem on Nissan Pathfinders and the cost to repair vehicle is between 4 and 5 thousand dollars.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 012013

When driving aprx 40-45 mph, transmission sounds as if I was hitting rumble strips. I lose power. I have been told it could be due to a coolant leak into the transmission. After reviewing this site, I noticed many other problems and an investigation started almost a year ago....please get this defect recalled!!!

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Dec 022013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The entire transmission melted without warning. The car could not move on reverse and only going 20mph.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Nov 272013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The vehicle vibrated and shuttered and ceased to move. I was in traffic and luckily had a place to pull over. I had the vehicle towed to the local Nissan dealership. After a discussion and diagnosis by the technician and shop foreman it was determined that the transmission and the radiator had crossed contamination of fluids resulting in the transmission becoming inoperable and requiring the transmission and radiator be replaced. The shop foreman stated that Nissan knew about this defect in the radiator and the resulting problems. I am waiting to find out if Nissan will help with repair cost. I was told by the shop foreman that the cost to replace the transmission and radiator would be approximately $8,000..

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Jul 302013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Cracked radiator allowed coolant to leak into transmission so not knowing Nissan was having this problem we had a new radiator installed and the cooling system and transmission flushed out mileage at this time was 79290 now 4 months later the transmission is shot and need a new one mileage now 83158 since the mileage is above 80000 Nissan will not fix the car under there extended warranty and wants me to dole out 2500.00$. if I would have known Nissan was having problems with there transmissions I would have taken my car to a Nissan authorized service center the first time.

- Marquette, MI, USA

Nov 042013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The truck begin to shift hard and ride as if on grooves in the road. At time you would have to remove your feet from the gas several times to stop the vibration. The truck would jerk while driving or excel very fast without warning. After months of this the check engine soon light came on 11/19/13. I took the truck into the Nissan dealer to find out what the problem was. They came back with a estimated investment: Transmission, radiator, matic S coolant. No codes or issues that were wrong and at the bottom a grand total of $5047.33. I was told the radiator coolant leaked into the transmission causing it to go bad. He said the coolant damages all the inner parts through corrosion. I thought while all the reports I have read about online about the 2006-2010 models Nissan is happening to me. So what do I do pay a fortune to fix a defect that Nissan has known about since 2007 and haven't recalled to fix them in a car I just bought a year ago, that is no where being paid off. We need some help with this there are complaints from nc to Canada. This is not occurring in vehicles under warranty or extended warranty but in cars that are over the mileage. They told me the transmission pressure was to much. It is a SUV with power they should be made to pay for this.

- Ramseur, NC, USA

Nov 122013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The vehicle was traveling on I-95 during rush hour traffic, the vehicle was traveling at stop and go speeds due to traffic congestion and when the operator wanted to accelerate, the vehicle did not respond. It took various tries before it was able to move and placed on the curb. After that the vehicle started to respond again but at limited speeds and was able to barely made it back home at very slow speeds. It was then taken to an auto repair shop and it was determined that the transmission was failing. It has been further determined that there is a contamination of transmission and radiator fluids / coolants and a total transmission failure may be possible. The vehicle has not been in operation since this was discovered and we are evaluating options for repair, up to and including total replacement of the power-train and radiator. After investigating this possible failure I was able to find that this appears to be a fairly common manufacturer defect but I can not find any recall notices. This was a very disturbing incident and thankfully no one was hurt, but the transmission failure occurring in the middle of I-95 could have resulted in crash due to the sudden deceleration of the vehicle. I'm looking for guidance on how this can be taken to the manufacturer so they can take care of this obvious factory defect. I look forward to hearing back from you.

- Broadlands, VA, USA

Sep 232013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator failed (product defect, no accident or external causes) and leaked into the transmission, effectively destroying it. Had to get both radiator and transmission replaced. Symptoms started with shuddering during shifting, which led to rough shifting, gear slippage, check-engine light, and eventually the car not even starting.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Jun 152013

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle vibrated and jerked. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated the transmission needed T be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Selmer, TN, USA

Aug 132013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was driving my Pathfinder down the highway and when I reached 40 mph, it began to hesitate as if the overdrive was not working. As I gave it more gas, it stopped. It has gradually gotten worse to the point that anywhere from 40 to 50 mph, the vehicle is hesitating unless you either slow to below 40 or speed up to above 50. I took it to the Nissan dealer and he stated that the transmission fluid was mixing with the coolant, which means that I must pay to have my transmission replaced or purchase a new vehicle! I have since heard that there have been many reports of this same issue. My vehicle has gone out of warranty, but, if this is an issue that has been known for quite some time (years) as I have researched, then I believe Nissan should have to cover the cost of replacement. Why was there not a recall on the issue, which could have been fixed easily instead of having to replace the whole thing at the owners expense! I also realize that at any moment my vehicle could stop in the middle of the road, which could cause injury or even death to me or my family.

- Selmer, TN, USA

Jun 052013

Radiator failed, leaking antifreeze into transmission. This mixing of antifreeze and transmission fluid caused transmission to fail my Pathfinder is now in a parking spot. I owe payments on a vehicle I can no longer drive, nor afford to repair.

- Davie, FL, USA

Sep 142013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

This is all after the vehicle was serviced (by Nissan dealer) for the known radiator leaking coolant into the transmission fluid. Repair back in May 2013 with approx. Mileage 68000. Now vehicle has about 75000. Driving home from dinner with wife in moderate traffic. Herd a clunk and car would not accelerate. Barely made it home. I let vehicle cool down and removed the radiator cap and found thick cream like fluid which is a definite sign of oil based fluid contaminated with water / glycol. Seems to me that Nissan did not replace or fix the leaking radiator. Driving a vehicle that behaves in this manner can not be safe to drive. Back to the shop (dealer) tomorrow.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 102013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle had a sudden loss of power and the service engine light came on. A local Nissan dealer has informed me that due an apparent known issue for this vehicle a total failure of the transmission has occurred. The needed repairs estimate is $7,800 for a new transmission, radiator and electronic components.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Sep 022013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Calsonic radiator issue - transmission fluid and coolant mixed causing issues with transmission. Bad transmission cooler area per aamco. Nissan is unwilling to help as my vehicle has 126K miles on it. These issues appear to be happening in a much greater % than Nissan is acknowledging. They moved the warranty from 3 yrs/36000 miles to 8 years/80000 miles but it still doesn't help those whose radiator leaked after the 100K level prematurely. This is a safety issue and also a manufacturing defect issue. It seems that Nissan corporate, dealers, transmission shops and other governmental organizations knew about this issue - sadly, most consumers don't. I would have gladly replaced my radiator for $500 but now I will be out $4000 because Nissan didn't tell their owners about this problem.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Apr 052013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder that just passed 90,000 miles. It seems that I have the same issue as many others. There is a leak in the transmission from the radiator. Now I know that they are taking some responsibility but really how is it that I should responsible to pay for any portion of this repair. It should be a recall no matter how many miles. I didn't know that I was buying a car that was going to last for 90,000 miles I might have went a different direction. If it was a Nissan defect why do we the consumer have to pay for this? please help out the many Nissan owners who are upset and confused at why this burden should be put on us. Thank you.

- Johnstown, CO, USA