2013 Nissan Pathfinder brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder:

2013 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 062015

Pathfinder

While I was told that this had happened previously in the vehicle (around June 22, 2015), I experienced it on 7/6/15. I was traveling on the highway at @ 68 mph. I slowed to take an offramp left onto a connector and pressed the accelerator to regain speed. There was no response; the accelerator had no power--even when pressed to the floor. The car began to lose speed. It was a busy time of day, and there was a car behind me. I took my foot off the accelerator and pressed it again; this time it was responsive. In addition to the loss of power, the car 'hitched' as I was driving and braking, and the ABS and traction control lights came on. This happened multiple times afterwards--not just on turns. On 7/7, I called Nissan service. I did not drive the car again until they fit me in (thurs., 7/9). The drive train is still under warranty, and I was informed that there was a crt reprogramming recall that needed to be done, but it had nothing to do with what was happening, so they would run multiple diagnostics at $125 or more a piece. After multiple diagnostics and a technician driving my car 44 miles, service "could not duplicate concern, " did not know of any like problems with the car, had performed the recall, and sent me home at no charge (?) on 7/10. Afterwards, I did not drive the car for several days. On 7/16, it seemed safe, and my daughter was driving with me in the passenger seat. It happened again--on a busy road! the ABS and traction control lights came on too. We stopped; I took a picture, immediately emailed it to service, & switched drivers. There's no response yet. Nissan online forums are full of 2013 Pathfinder (and Nissan crt model) owners experiencing the exact same problems, being told similar things, and having transmissions (crt) replaced but it happening again. Nissan won't acknowledge what seems to be a widespread problem with the crt & this model.

- Mableton, GA, USA

May 162015

Pathfinder

I have experienced an increased in brake, every time I hit slightly the gas pedal on my 2013 Nissan Pathfinder platinum..and I was driving around 15 to 20 miles/hour, I don't know why Nissan has put in the market a car with so many bugs.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Mar 102015

Pathfinder

Turning into parking space at mcdonalds. Foot on brakes, shift lever in drive, engine speed at idle. A bright red flashing "emergency" light appeared inside the speedometer ring at the nine O'clock position. Simultaneously accompanied by a complete brake failure. This light is not mentioned in the operators manual. Vehicle was taken to the port charlotte fl dealer and checked out perfectly. Their maintenance supervisor knew nothing about this light--it is not in their maintence manual. I have three eye witnesses inside the car at the time. A large SUV with no brakes! what could possibly go wrong?

- Dunnellon, FL, USA

Feb 062014

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving various speeds, the vehicle began to vibrate in a jerking motion. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the front driver side wheel bearing needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The wheel bearing was replaced four times on separate occasions. In addition, both front and rear brakes were replaced three times. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 27,000.

Jan 212015

Pathfinder

While driving my 2013 Pathfinder at slow speeds, the vehicle would lose power and not accelerate. It has happened about 10+ times in the last two weeks. The latest time I was making a left hand turn yielding to on coming traffic. The vehicle would not accelerate and stalled in the middle of oncoming traffic. The Pathfinder was moving about 5-10 mph. The oncoming vehicle approaching had to slam on their brakes so they didn't hit us (I had 6 kids in the car). The Pathfinder then kicked in and stalled at the following light around 1/4 mile down the road. It is intermittent and hasn't happened since. Pathfinder is currently at the dealer and they say that they have it fixed by a brake switch replacement. The regional consumer specialist from Nissan na assigned to us stated he was not aware of any acceleration problems at all in Pathfinders.

- American Fork, UT, USA

Jul 022014

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated while driving at approximately 25 mph, the brake pedal seized causing a multiple vehicle crash. A police report was filed. The number of injuries was unknown. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The failure mileage was 11,000.

- Rockville Ceter, NY, USA

Jun 182014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

We first got a recall notice, and took the vehicle to the dealership. I asked them that other than the recall I needed them to see why the brakes on the vehicle squeak on occasions. They said everything was good and that the brakes didn't have anything. When my wife got in a vehicle collision a couple of days ago she had my 2 daughters 3 and 4 with her. The airbags in our vehicle didn't deploy and the other vehicles did. My wife was going 15 mph but the other vehicle was going about 65 mph. Thanks to god nobody in the vehicle got severely hurt other than scratches and bruises. The vehicle was not totaled and will be repaired, I am really concern for my family's safety driving this vehicle.

- Imperial, CA, USA

Jun 112014

Pathfinder

I have a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder, bought it on January 2013, the past 4 months, I noticed the front end of the car shaking, I had previously brought the car in for 3 months check up, clay Nissan rotated the tires and since then the brakes felt like shaking, I mentioned the error to them, but they said it's okay, today I brought it back for the recall- the car appears like it wants to cut off suddenly and they are telling me I need rotors in the front and the back, to me this appears to be a defect in the rotors- there is no way a 2013 car needs rotors in the front and the back.

- Brockton, MA, USA

May 232014

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while traveling 38 mph, the brake pedal hardened and would not engage even after double pumping the brakes with the anti lock brake activated. The contact mentioned that the stopping distance increased to 100 feet. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,000 and the current mileage was 18,600.

- Clinton, MA, USA

May 182014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Vehicle at 5400 RPM on level road would only achieve a speed of 41 mph, this was on a highway paused with a posted speed limit of 65 mph. Vehicle paused, shuttered and engine seemed to be working but transmission would not engage completely. We felt that we could have been rear ended and killed. This was three days after Nissan had replaced the transmission for shuttering at 19 mph over a six month period. After stopping several times the vehicle reacted as close to normal as we would expect, just in time to get home. We have brought this vehicle to the dealer ship for passenger side airbag light showing it was off, when it should have been on, for back up sensor acting as though off but actually off, the smell of antifreeze and no leaks and last the brakes delaying. Nissan continued until recently stated that it was normal. There are numerous sites stating these same issues. We could have been killed, this is serious, no power on the expressway.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Sep 062013

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated while traveling at various speeds, the vehicle failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The contact also mentioned that the brake switch failed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who replaced the transmission and the brake switch but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 2,711.

- Lonetree, CO, USA

May 102014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Brake failure - anti-lock brakes failed - preventing car from stopping. I was pulling into a dirt parking lot - stepping on the brakes - anti-lock brakes kicked in, brake pedal became hard and wouldn't press down anymore - truck wouldn't not slow down. I was heading towards trees - I immediately took my foot completely off the brake pedal and stepped on the brake as hard as I could - truck stopped just short of the trees.. I have ran into similar situation in snow - definitely still a major brake problem. Also rotors were warped at 17K miles. We also had a major problem after leaving the truck at the airport for a week - it felt like the calipers were extremely warped and metal on metal grinding - - this scared my wife and kids really badly.. it took at least 3 miles for the brakes to feel a little better.. I shut off my truck - got out - closed the doors and the doors wouldn't lock. I could see a error on the dash board showing the car remote. I tried several times to lock the door and kept getting the same error. I got back into the truck and restarted it - then shut it off - got out and the doors would lock. The dealer already did the service bulletin update for the anti-lock brakes in March - and it evidently didn't work. I have had numerous problems with the remote - getting in to the truck and starting the truck. I have had times I remote started the truck, then couldn't get in.. I had to hit the lock and unlock key several times before I could get into the truck.. then the truck wouldn't allow me to hit the power button - stating wrong key id..

- Clinton , MA, USA

Jan 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Wow, I am one upset consumer, after notifying Nissan Consumer Affairs several times about the concern of the safety on my Pathfinder and numerous trips to service only to be told that my car was fine. I now have had an auto accident due to the failure of my brand new Pathfinder and Nissan not even attempting to try to take me seriously about my concerns of the safety of this vehicle. This is lawsuit type material and I am now having to cover the damages to my car and 2 others and pay for a rental out of pocket. I am extremely upset and this has caused me and my family huge distress all for just buying what was supposed to be a reliable vehicle from a top auto maker. The issue was due to faulty brake/pedal and the issue before was for a faulty acceleration and spudering. Why cant Nissan just acknowledge this as major issue before someone gets killed? there is over 200 complaints of the same issue that I incurred only that Nissan has not a done a thing. If they do not take care of this issue to my standards, I will be taking this the furthest I can. This is so upsetting and time consuming. Shame on Nissan for not taking care of their product and consumer.

- Katy, TX, USA

Oct 152013

Pathfinder

The vehicle has a vibration on slowing down. Also loud noise coming from engine. One month later driving on busy highway vehicle started to smoke heavily could not see driving, vehicle cam to a complete stop. Smoke bellowing from under hood, cars avoiding rear ending my vehicle. We R petrified driving this vehicle again( with family in car). Towed to Nissan dealership at my cost Nissan would not tow vehicle(was not covered under warranty). Vehicle had 2450 miles on it and 2 months old. $44000 to purchase. What do I do with this vehicle now. Please help.

- Mashpee, MA, USA

Dec 082013

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while approaching a traffic stop at 15 mph, the brakes failed to engage when depressed and the contact crashed into a snow plow. There were no injuries and a police report was filed of the incident. The contact was able to drive the vehicle from the scene. The vehicle had not been inspected or diagnosed to determine the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 7,800.

- Victoria, MN, USA

Aug 012013

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact was driving 35 mph and experienced issues with the ABS braking system. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but no diagnosis was provided. The contact then received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V445000 (electrical system, service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not serviced for the recall and was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 7500.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Sep 022013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I had complained to trophy Nissan, progressive insurance, wells fargo, and platinum collision about the very problem that I just received a recall about. My complaints were treated as not having merit. I had specifically described the seemingly loss of control on pavement that was slightly rough. I also asserted that when I applied brakes the Pathfinder seemed to lunge forward. In this accident I was the interstate near downtown dallas moving one lane to my left as traffic slowed and stopped. I was aware of the slowing traffic and I reacted accordingly. As traffic actually stopped I recall not being overly concerned that I was a safe stopping distance but when I applied the brake my Pathfinder seemed to lunge forward and I struck the rear of the vehicle in front of me. I again stated my concerns after the fact and was not deemed accurate. The Pathfinder spent 2 months in the shop waiting on parts and my insurance premium doubled. I refused to pay the elevated premium because I simply did not have it and I did not make any payments on the Pathfinder to wells fargo during the 2 months and the Pathfinder has subsequently been repossessed do I have actionable recourse"? what's next with this complaint?" I tried in vain to get progressive to recognize a diminished value claim. This could have saved me money and my car as the wreck was truly not my fault but it was ruled my fault because I was the rear vehicle and Texas has no diminished value for insured being at fault. Tried in vain to get wells fargo to help me but all parties were scared to death of progressive insurance with the exception of platinum collision. Their only standing in this case is as the body shop approved by progressive.

- Garland, TX, USA

Nov 032013

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph the brake pedal was engaged abruptly and there was a delayed response. The vehicle crashed into the rear end of another vehicle. There were no injuries. A police report was filed. The entire front end of the vehicle was damaged. The vehicle was taken to a collision center and currently being repaired. The contact discovered there was a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 13V139000 (service brakes). The VIN was included in the recall and the contact planned to have the remedy repair performed after the body damage was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 12,500.

Oct 212013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

After purchasing the vehicle new in November 2013, I noticed a problem with the anti-lock braking system. After almost getting into an accident with my wife and 2 children in the vehicle, I went to the dealer service dept on Jan 29 2013 and explained that "at times about once to twice a month, when I apply the brakes, the vehicle will not stop properly and only slowed down. The service dept. Kept the vehicle, only to return it and said they cannot duplicate the problem. The condition persisted only once to twice a month. I stated on a oil service that this issue still persisted. On October 21, 2013 I was traveling to work on a major bridge when all traffic came to a halt. My vehicle just went over one of the bridge's metal expansion joints which is a little bump when I needed to brake. My approx speed was 30 mph at the time I needed to stop. Again, with the slight bump in the road and applying the brakes, the vehicle would not stop and I rear-ended the vehicle in front of me. As I swerved right into the middle lane to avoid a total domino effect of rear-ending vehicles, I was the T-boned by another oncoming vehicle. All of my side curtain airbags deployed and damage was to my driver's side front and entire passenger side. An estimate of $19,000 was figured by the insurance adjuster. 2 days after the accident on October 23, 2013, Nissan issued a total recall of the 2013 Pathfinder. The recall stems from a flaw in the antilock brake system software. The bulletin says that "in the affected vehicles, during light braking on rough roads, the antilock brake system (ABS) brake pressure output software may lead to an increase in stopping distance". and of course, the longer it takes to stop a vehicle, the greater the likelihood of a crash. I have contacted Nissan corporate Consumer Affairs on October 24, 2013 and am still awaiting a return phone call.

Dec 122012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I purchased my Pathfinder in November 2012. At about 1000 miles into ownership (less than a month, my vehicle started shuddering and acting like it was going to stall. When I took it in for the first service they told me they checked for it and couldn't find anything. Then they asked me to bring it back in for a computer update. It still shuddered. At the next service repeat the same scenario and they couldn't find anything again. The shudder is progressively getting worse at this point. When I took it back for the 3rd service I told the dealership again and was told the same thing again. Repeat one more time in 9/13 and they told me I needed a new transmission. A new transmission was put in on 10/7 and I picked it up on 10/8. I left for a beach 800 mile trip on 10/9 and the shuddering is still happening and now when I turn my wheels while slowing down (entering my garage/braking in a curve) the brakes will not hold and the vehicle will surge as if out of control. If I leave it running for a 10 or so minutes in park then try to put it in drive the vehicle tries to surge away from me as if I cannot control it unless holding the brakes down. Last week the vehicle jumped across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic then quit. I quickly started it again and jumped into a parking lot. The dealer picked it up and told me they could not duplicate the problem and would do anything to help me. In fact they said it was driver error. The last I heard when you press the gas the car should go and when you press the brakes the car should stop. It is now sitting in the dealer parking lot because I am extremely afraid of it. They told me it was just fine and to come and get it. I almost died last week in it and it is not safe. The dealer will not help me nor Consumer Affairs at Nissan are helping me. No one should be driving this vehicle. So now I am out $44,000 for an unsafe car.

- Alto, GA, USA