Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2005 Nissan Xterra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Xterra:

2005 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 7 of 17)

Dec 272013

Xterra 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Nissan Xterra and I'm having a problem with the transmission I place it in gear and heard a pop and then the vehicle did not want to go anywhere. After doing some research I have come to the conclusion that there are many others having the same problem. If Nissan knows this is a problem they should be held responsible for repairs no matter what the mileage is on the vehicle. I will not be buying another Nissan if they don't want to stand behind there products. A couple of years ago the fuel sending unit went bad and it cost me $1200 dollars to have it fixed and it was also a known problem.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Dec 022013

Xterra 6-cyl

Coolant leaked into the transmission, causing transmission failure. Estimate of $5800 to repair.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Oct 162013

Xterra 6-cyl

While accelerating, after pulling from a county road onto a state highway, my vehicle "stuttered" and immediately lost power to the drive train. Discovered that I had water in my transmission.

- Cement, OK, USA

Dec 112013

Xterra 6-cyl

The car had been driving fine and then all of a sudden it would not shift into a higher gear. The rpms would just increase. At times the car would not even go into any gear what so ever. Finally managed to get it to a dealership where they told me it was the transmission fluid mixing with the radiator fluid. Told me I needed both replaced and quoted over $6500 for the fix. Check engine light was on at the time, but I was also having a problem with the fuel gauge (also another known problem in Xterras).

- Nashville, TN, USA

Dec 162013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Xterra. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the engine rpms increased excessively but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The contact mentioned that the check engine warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the radiator fluid was mixed with the transmission fluid. As a result, the transmission would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 116,208.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Dec 052013

Xterra 6-cyl

When driving at various speeds I began to notice the engine bogging down when changing gears. Upon taking it to my mechanic I was told that there was a leak between the transmission and engine coolant systems. The fix would require a replacement of both systems totally approx. $6000! apparently this is a "known issue" with 2005-2010 Xterras. Upon contacting Nissan I was told that since my vehicle was over 100,000 miles that there was nothing that they could do for me. If this is a known issue, and a rather major one at that, I'm not sure why there hasn't been any recalls or some kind of fix.

- Fairfield, OH, USA

Nov 152013

My daughter was driving our 2005 Nissan Xterra and suddenly the car would not accelerate, she floored it and after a while it got back up to speed enough for her to pull off the highway through 3 lanes of traffic and onto the side road. The car now sits in my driveway because it will cost over 6,000 to repair (the car book value is a bit less than that). The transmission/radiator will need to be replaced because the fluid has gotten into the transmission. Nissan is aware of this issue and still continues to let their customers bear the brunt of their defective product. Thank god my daughter was not killed on the highway due to the sudden loss of speed/control. I hope it does not take someone dying from this defect in order for them to recall and pay to replace/repair this issue. Perhaps someone already has but no one knows yet. I had to drive the car home from the mechanic shop just a few miles and was unable to accelerate several times and was almost hit twice. We have bought her a new car (not a Nissan) and are trying to find someone to purchase the Nissan and fix it themselves or sell it for parts. We now have a useless auto that is no longer worth a dime and we are out several thousand in resale value. How can this be legal" when will this finally be taken seriously"

- Helotes, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Xterra 6-cyl

While driving on the highway at about 60 mph, my car shifted out of gear and the RPM's shot up causing my car to pretty much stop moving on the highway. I was able to pull over to the side of the road and call for a tow. We had the car towed to a transmission specialist who told us that the transmission was fried. By looking at the fluid in the transmission just on a quick look, he deduced that the radiator had most likely leaked coolant, causing the transmission to fail. Upon researching this issue, I learned that this has happened to many Nissan vehicles and could be a huge problem for many people. Luckily I was able to get to safety and was not hit by another car or sustained any injuries. Finally, I had to trade the car in for a gigantic loss! very upset.

- St. Louis Park, MN, USA

Dec 042013

Xterra 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Xterra with 75600 miles jerks when it shifts. After doing my own online research and bringing to the dealership, it was discovered that the radiator was leaking coolant and mixing into the transmission fluid. There is an extended warranty for this defect to 80,000 or 96months. I qualified for the mileage but not the service duration (6 months overdue). The dealership said it would be a $2500 copay to replace my radiator and repair my transmission. I talked to Nissan Consumer Affairs but they refused to help and said $2500 is my only option. This radiator is a known issue and should be a recall for all the damage it caused. I've owned many Nissan before and had great loyalty to them. Nissan should be held accountable for knowing about their faulty radiator and not fixing them before they caused further damage!

- Loudonville, NY, USA

Nov 212013

Xterra 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Xterra have this common problem where the radiator leaks into transmission and cause the transmission to stop working. And since I was over 100,000 Nissan dealers want to charge me a copay of $3000.

- Dania Beach, FL, USA

Nov 172013

Xterra 6-cyl

I began to have vibration in my vehicle when I reached speeds of 45 mph and got worse around 65 mph. I took my car to Nissan twice in Aug. 2013 and was told it was road vibration. In early Nov. I took my car to my local mechanic for this problem and was told the vibration wasn't road vibration and that it was either my drive shafts or transmission. On Nov. 17th I drove from altoona pa to upper marlboro md and arrived around 2 am. I went to drive my car into DC on the morning of the 18th and when I put it in reverse it backed up, but when I put it in drive it wouldn't drive forward. After shifting through the gears for a few minutes my car drove forward so I parked it in my driveway. My car hasn't been able to be driven since. When I put it in gear and press the gas the engine just revs. When I start my car I can hear the engine and transmission making a whining noise. My radiator also broke in late August of 2013 and needed to be replaced.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Nov 142013

I had a complete loss of motive power and needing to be towed to a shop. The shop diagnosed the problem as a failed transmission fluid cooler located in the radiator assembly that allowed coolant to mix with and contaminate the automatic transmission fluid, resulting in damaged internal transmission components and a damaged internal transmission computer. There were no warning signs leading up to or just prior to the failures. The transmission and radiator now need to be replaced.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 112013

Xterra 6-cyl

My 2005 Xterra S-V6 4X2 had loss of power and had to be towed to a dealership. They diagnosed the problem as a failed transmission fluid cooler located in the radiator assembly that allowed coolant to mix with and contaminate the automatic transmission fluid, resulting in damaged to the radiator that had to be replaced and the transmission is now damaged. There were no warning signs leading up to the failures. When I spoke to Nissan they stated there was no recall. After I did some research, I found out there is a extended warranty. When I called Nissan back they stated it was only up to 80,000. So repairs are on me.

- Kenner, LA, USA

Nov 042013

Transmission started slipping in high gear, because of a leak from a known faulty radiator letting coolant into transmission.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Nov 282012

Xterra 6-cyl

Transmission kept slipping from 4th gear to 3rd, then back to 4th. It was brought in for transmission service and learned the radiator was leaking fluid into the transmission. The radiator needs to be replaced and the transmission rebuilt. Nissan is aware of the issue occurring in 2005-2007 models, but have done nothing to correct it, nor have they notified owners of this serious problem.

- Haydenville, MA, USA

Nov 122013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan model Xterra. The contact stated that he replaced the radiator as a precaution to avoid radiator fluid from mixing with the transmission fluid. The contact had not experienced a failure. The current mileage was 83,000.

- Stuart , FL, USA

Nov 082013

I was slowing down at an intersection to prepare to stop when I heard a clunking sound from under my car and then service light came on. When I pressed the gas pedal to go, I heard my engine rev but only got very little acceleration before it moved forward. It happened again at another intersection so I drove home carefully. Speculating that it had to do with the transmission, my husband and I did the research and found that there was a class action lawsuit regarding to engine coolant in the transmission. We were surprised that I was never alerted to this serious problem by Nissan. We called the dealership to see what could be done. At first they lied about the problem but when confronted with the knowledge that we knew about the lawsuit, then they acknowledged there was problem. Then they weren't going to help us because they claimed that my VIN was not part of the recall. My husband told them that the class action lawsuit, did not say it was for select VIN numbers. We were told to bring it in, which we did and then they informed us we still had to pay $2500. If I had been informed of the problem, I would have had it fixed before it became serious. This website gives the best info to what happened: We were never told about this issue even when we had the dealership do the oil change previously. The worst part is that they knew about the issue but did nothing to help fix the problem before it became a serious issue. This type of negligent practice should be investigated and Nissan should be held accountable and the victims should not have to pay at all since it was preventable and is dangerous for the driver, passengers and all vehicles on the road should it stall in traffic. Thank you for your time and consideration.

- Kaneohe, HI, USA

Oct 282013

Xterra 6-cyl

We have learned that sometime in late 2007 Nissan motor corporation issued a warranty extension for the transmission oil cooler / radiator assembly for the subject vehicles to 8 years, 80000 miles ? up from the standard 3 year, 36000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. Nissan motor corporation, to our knowledge, has not been conducting any preventative inspections of the subject vehicles to help consumers prevent catastrophic transmission failure. Consumers report that Nissan motor corporation is denying their warranty claims and as a 'courtesy measure' will offer to replace the failed oil cooler at a discount. The additional two years or 20,000 miles with a $3000 deductible is, at most, a sad joke at the expense of consumers. Nissan has been aware of this problem since 2007 and has undertaken no preventive measures to protect consumers from failure.

- La Habra, CA, USA

Jul 072013

Xterra 6-cyl

Just bought auto from used car dealer day before. Drove it 30 miles pulled in visited then went out to start auto. Would not start traced back to blown fuse, changed fuse tried starting again, blew fuse again, one more time then when auto started smoke came out from under hood. After 3 months of replacing electrical wiring from frying narrowed down to radiator and transmission (fuse that blew) the coolant had backed up and tore up transmission. If it had been on the road there would have been a full blown fire on a highway with possibility of human damages.

- Hamersville, OH, USA

Oct 202013

This is a common problem where the radiator leaks into transmission and destroys transmission. I just learned of this issue last week, and have an appointment with Nissan dealer tomorrow. My Xterra is starting to shift erratically. I fear it has been compromised. I don't see how they can get away with not recalling this. It is irresponsible and unethical. Please help.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA