Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2006 Nissan Xterra electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Xterra:

2006 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 132008

I purchased this Xterra in may of 2006. In the past 8 weeks I have had to have my 06 Nissan Xterra towed to the dealer six times for the same issue of not starting. The first time I was told I was out of gas. Since then, I've been told the security module had gone bad, I had corrosion on the battery terminal causing it to go in to stolen mode, the fuel pump had gone bad (replaced twice), and the wiring harness to the fuel pump had a short in it (replaced twice). The dealer says they have not been able to replicate the problem and want to give me my car back without actually finding out the real issue. This is my family vehicle and I do not do any towing or off-road with it. Prior to these issues, my transmission went out at 11K miles and left me stranded on the side of an interstate for over 3 hours while I waited for a tow truck, and have had to have the fuel gauge sensor, catalytic converter, and tire pressure sensors replaced.

- Johns Island, SC, USA

Aug 102008

2006 Nissan X 47,000 miles. Fuel gauge does not work, ses light will not go off and low air pressure light stay on too.

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Sep 102008

I turned on my 2006 Nissan Xterra the other day and saw my check engine light was on. I knew this was clearly wrong as I just had my car serviced. Two days later I turned on my car and the gas gauge quit working completely. It fluctuates up and down. I went on the internet and researched this and found this to be a problem in many Nissan's. this clearly is a defect that should be dealt with. It costs between $300 and $600 to fix and loyal Nissan owners should not be penalized for Nissan's mismanagement.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Nov 012006

Xterra 4WD 6-cyl

For no apparent reason all console/dashboard lights are out. Vehicle is 5 months old. Dealer has had trouble locating source of problem.

- Baltimore, MD, USA