8.9

1. replace intake manifold gasket (5 reports)
  2. sue gm (2 reports)
2000 Pontiac Grand Am engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Pontiac Grand Am:

2000 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Dec 142010

Grand Am GT 2.6L

Did not realize that leaking antifreeze would get worse, or that it was even leaking when I bought it, otherwise I would not have bought it or would have replaced the intake manifold right away. Very upset how much trouble it has caused me. I will probably never buy a Pontiac ever again. Nobody will even buy it to fix it, because I don't have the money. The car may be awful but is not junk, the auto sales people buying it for parts can kiss my ass. They're obviously just a bunch of RIP off assholes.

Once it's fixed it will run fine and be worth around $2000. I wish I had the money or I'd get it fixed and sell it myself. If you test drive an older car especially Pontiac, that is leaking antifreeze, DO NOT BUY IT. The problem will get worse and you'll spend a lot of money filling the antifreeze continuously. Watch out for mid 2000 Pontiac Grand Am or earlier. Get the Carfax and make sure that the manifold is new! Wish someone would buy it to fix it!

- , Vesper, WI, USA

Apr 112011

Grand Am GT1 3.4L V6

click to see larger images

intake manifold gaskets failure

It's nearly impossible to label this in every category. Let me try to identify what happened. Noticed ac wouldn't blow cold air and heat would be cold or lightly below warm. Several other issues with this suck fest of a car. I took my car to Firestone for a check up of my issue. In their findings, they discovered a leak in the manifold gasket intake saying it need to be replaced as it was cracked or had a leak. They said it was nearly $800 but that sounds more like a recall issue. F*cking GM crooks like the rest of the world! So it will not get fixed by me because while it has been pissing me off, it hasn't made too big of a difference to need replacement.

Update from Mar 26, 2013: Meineke has fixed my gasket intake for a cheap -$600 using the rubber material. Haven't noticed any issues but wasn't able to tell honestly before. Was told if not taken care of could cause more engine failure or combustion. Don't want neither. Grand Am 2000 GT1 still goes strong and only because of maintenance. If you by this car from someone, do a THOROUGH check or you will invest more into maintenance than the price you bought it.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 072012

Grand Am SE2 3.4

It smells like coolant inside this car, and it's enough to make you dizzy. I can't fix it right now, but once it's fixed this car will be sold asap.

- , Brownstown, MI, USA

Dec 242007

Grand Am GT V6

My heater was not getting warm and the low coolant light kept coming on, so I took my car to the shop and they informed me that the gasket (manufactured by GM) was poorly designed, thus antifreeze was being blown into my motor oil resulting in a loss of heat. The cost was $850.00. I replaced the gasket and the heat still DID NOT get warm. I returned to the shop two months later and they informed me that I needed a new thermostat. Replaced the thermostat (another $200.00) and I now have HEAT!

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Jul 282007

Grand Am

At 86000 miles started having problems. First had to replace the alternator at a cost of $245.00. Then at 92000 started having trouble losing coolant. The low coolant light kept coming on. After paying $100 to have them test the radiator and other items, taking back to the garage because light kept coming on they finally said it was the intake gasket. Had that replaced at a cost of $600.00 and then once again the low coolant light came on. Now it is the water pump at a cost of $500.00. Have spent a lot of money in the past 6 months.

- , Schenevus, NY, USA

May 012007

Grand Am SE 3.4L V6

I've only had this car for 2 years and have had to dump a lot of money into it due to GM's failures. Given that there have been numerous complaints about this exact problem in all the 3.4L V6 cars that GM has made in recent years they NEED to have a recall. The fact that they do not care about their customers enough to pay attention to the problems that their products are causing is rediculous, and is going to cost them customers in the future. Hopefully there will be a lawsuit about this problem soon because it does not look like GM is going to do anything about it otherwise.

- , Taneytown, MD, USA

Feb 282007

Grand Am GT 3.4 V6

2 Months and 5,000 miles after I bought my 2000 Pontiac Grand Am Gt, I noticed the temperature gauge slowly rising above normal. I took it to a shop, they said it looked like the intake manifold gasket was leaking, and would cost $$. They refilled the reservoir and said to keep it full, but fix it soon. I called my warranty company, and they told me my 3 months wasn't up. (3 month and 1,000 mile gap) Piece of sh*t warranty. So I wait a month, take it back in, as I couldn't even go 5 miles w/out the damn thing overheating. Warranty doesn't cover gaskets. Piece of sh*t warranty. ($1800 to purchase 5 yr., 100,000 mile warranty that doesn't cover gaskets)

- , Merced, CA, USA