Passlock Problem, Won't Start And Security Light Is Blinking

2004 Pontiac Grand Am (Page 1 of 2) Seal Of This Might Hurt

2. wait 20 minutes with the key in the ignition (9 reports)
  3. wait 10 minutes with the key turned to the on position (6 reports)
  4. did the bypass of the passlock (1 reports)
  5. hit the dashboard! (1 reports)
  6. replacement (1 reports)
2004 Pontiac Grand Am electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am:

2004 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 262014

Grand Am

I bought this car used. Never bought a vehicle from a dealership. What a disaster!!! I've had to replace parts in the driver window 3 times already bc it won't roll up or down. Currently, dealing with that issue once again. So aggravating. Then, this crappie car decided it didn't want to start. Wouldn't even try to start. Thank God for the internet! That's how I learned the "secret" of how to bypass the pass lock. This costs so much time and hassle. Why won't GM recall this issue?? Does someone have to die to be heard?? You would think they'd be proactive considering everything they went through as a company that we as taxpayers had to "handle". When we spend $1000's to buy their product, you'd think they'd do their job!!! So fed up! I'm all for law suits or class action at this point. Noone wants to help you rectify the problems with this vehicle. Come on! This many people can't be lying about the same issue. GM needs a reality check asap.

- , Pleasant View, TN, USA

Dec 202012

Grand Am GT1 3.4L V6

OK.... So Oct 29th last year, we go out to the car, and it wouldn't start.. Not knowing about this problem, we called a tow truck and had it towed to our trusted shop and used my fiances parents 2nd vehicle while ours was in the shop. Get a call the next day saying it was the pass lock system.. Had it fixed... about 4 - 5 months after, our ignition cylinder went up.... had that replaced. Still the passlock system was going fine.... Another ignition cylinder went up.... fixed... after that one, the security light came on and stayed on, but had no issues starting the car or anything, it was more of a nuisance but didn't think much of it since the car started and had no issues.. Today, we were in a rush to make a doctors appointment, and BAM.... the light that just normally stayed on, started flashing and wouldn't start.. Did what our shop had told us to do, which is keep the car in the ON position, wait 10 minutes (10 minutes by the car clock) then the light would go stop flashing, go solid then finally go off. when it went off then shut the car off then it would start... Now... GM needs to recognize this as a problem and issue a recall. after all the searching I've done on the internet about this problem, it seems like everyone who owns a GM from 2002 - 2005 has this problem. Why cant they issue a recall and say "opps, we messed up". This is costing me too much money to keep fixing, if i had known all of this before i purchased the car, i would have left it on the lot. I will be sending a letter to GM Complaints, and might be sending one to the attorney general, if GM refuses to acknowledge that this is an issue.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 232012

Grand Am 3.4L V6

The method of resetting the security passlock should be in the manual, rather than advising to take car to dealer. Two mechanics both said if security light is blinking, take to dealer. This cost me $85.00 to hear. I went online and found procedure to reset, and it worked just fine, no trip to dealer needed. This should not be kept such a mystery!

- , Ls Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 072012

Grand Am V6

this is the third time we have the car not start. took it to my mechanic who I trust. Been going to him for 25 years. Towed it twice and could not figure out the cause. Thank god this time I looked it up on this site. Did leave key on for 10 minutes and tried to start successfully. Will send letter of complaint to General Motors. This problem is way too common for them to disregard and besides I would like to get some of my tax money back. I would suggest that everyone do the same and perhaps send the same letter to Attorney General of your state. They may take it a little more seriously.

- , Pittsboro, IN, USA

May 152010

Grand Am SE V6

start having problem after i pay it,s off later year 4 months later. didn't known what was wrong with it, let it, set for a hours or 2 . when back to wal-mart, malls or ect. and it,s starting happen 3 times then i couldn,t get it,s starting so i have it,s towed about 3 time to the dealership but they alway said they could n,t get it to action up. then they come up with something else was wrong with it just to get some money out of me tried the 10min. reset for 3 time it,s work one time got to let it,s set 30 min.when i get gas i leaves the car running afraid it,s want starting and i alway wanted a GRAND AM BUT NOW I TELL EVERYBODY THAT ASK ABOUT MY CAR! LEAVE THAT DAMN CAR ON THE LOTS. brother told me to trade it off, if i could i was

- , Guthrie, KY, USA

Oct 112010

Grand Am GT 3.8L

turn the key and will not start,security light blinks 10 min then will start....this has happened 20 or more times in last 5 yrs...took to dealer and they soaked me 1200.00 for a freakin new fuel pump!!! this is a problem with every grand am owner i have talked to and now i see hundreds of others online.....and the dealer did not know ths..BULLS...!

i am pissed,1200.00 poorer and the car still leaves me twice a month...WAITING.

Gm should be replacing this faulty part and refunding the monies that there crooked techs rob from honest folks that try to buy domestic

- , Regina, Sask, Namibia

Oct 252010

Grand Am SE 2.2L

I'm so lucky not the be stranded. My wife's 2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2.2L didn't start but turned over fine inside our garage. I took the other car to work. My co-workers told me to replace the Ignition Control Module. Its $85 at AutoZone, and they can't test this type. It is easy to remove lifting the connector tab from the back, and remove the star screws. Just don't drop the medium star tip over the engine. The pack is $7.00 for six. This didn't do anything. I did move the shifter to neutral, the tank was full, and the battery was new. The lock seems fine. Then I found this site; others had success leaving the ignition on for 10 minutes before trying to start again. I drove it work to charge up the battery. It started fine, but now the "Security" light remains on, which proves the Passlock system is NOT working properly. Thank God it wasn't towed, and unnecessary repairs charged! It seems stupid that GM didn't provide a service letter. Are they are worried about being forced to pay for a fix? Maybe the Passlock system burned out with the ignition in the on position over 10 minutes. Who cares? We just want reliability. Like starting!

- , Wichita, KS, USA

Sep 142010

Grand Am SE1 3.4L V6

As everyone else....I am having the same problem w/ the car not starting and the security light flashing...I have been stuck a few times in the last month...Worst part is I just paid the car off 3 months ago...and this started to happen...Unreal...i have to wait to take it to the dealership..They stated they cant do anything without the code going off...What a pain....Any help?? Class Action lawsuits??

- , Deland, FL, USA

Sep 052010

Grand Am SE V6

Okay, let's begin. I bought this vehicle in August, 30, 2004. The ignition lock cylinder has been replaced six times over a three year period. The Body control module was replaced back 4/06 at the cost of over $500. The ignition switch has been replaced twice. Last Christmas, I missed that holiday with my family because again, my car wouldn't start three days after I'd had it fixed by the dealer. They had to go in and replace the Power Control Module that time. These vehicles are the biggest pieces of crap I've ever had the misfortune of owning. Tonight, the car died on me again. I spend on the average, $100 for oil changes to replace everything recommended by the manufacturer. I'm done being nice.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 102010

Grand Am V6

I am making payments on this car and after reading all the comments on this website from everyone that has experienced the same problem as me, i am willing to do a volunteer repossesion. I dont want to continue to reset the security system and jepordize my life. I dont want the car to cut off completely while im driving.The mechanic at the dealership told me to get completely get out of the car. It isn't worth it. I'm not going to make payments on a car that has the same problem continuosly,nor am i able to pay thousands of dollars to get it fixed. Even if i were rich i wouldn't pay $1500 to get that problem fixed for any car. I have only had the car for two 1 1/2 years.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 152010

Grand Am 3.4L

Same as everyone else pass-lock problems. I guess what we all need to do is file a class action claim in court to get GM toi fix this problem. Noi I understand why so many people buy cars other than American made. Lets get together on this and sue GM and force them to fix this problem. At the very least they supply the parts and we pay the labor!

- , Albion, MI, USA

Jul 102010

Grand Am 3.2L V6

I turned the car off and when I returned, it would not start the security light is just flashing. I tried all the remedies listed on here but nothing seems to work!

- , Lumberton, MS, USA

May 032010

Grand Am V6

Recently my car would not start. I was told that I needed my cylinder lock replaced. I ended up getting the ignition replaced by a locksmith after my car sat in the yard for a month. I was so excited that the car worked finally. The dealership was going to charge about $550. I ended up paying the locksmith $374.50, so this did save me some money. Now about a week after I got the ignition replaced the car will not start in the morning. After trying a million and one times to start the car it will finally start. I took it to a car repair shop to get checked out and they told me that it was an electrical issue, and they hit the dashboard for it to come on. So I try that and the lights flash and it will come on. I am going to try to reset by turning it in the on position and hopefully that will work. Normally once it starts in the morning it will stay on for the day.

- , West Point, MS, USA

Nov 292009

Grand Am V6

wont start which cause me to be late for work and important engagements and that causes me to lose money

- , Pine Bluff, AR, USA

Nov 272009

Grand Am GT 3,4L V6

It seems I have the same problem. I like my car don't get me great ..till last night in the pouring rain it decides not to start???? No fuses blown...nothing wrong battery was fine all lights came on , just would not start and security light was flashing. it just won't turn over. I had it towed to a garage and he got it to start for about 3 min then it turned off again with the security light flashing . I guess today I'll try the 10 min reset see if that works. pretty sad when the whole car is fine , but the security is keeping the owner locked out too.

- , Livermore Falls, ME, USA

Sep 272009

Grand Am SE V6

I bought my car in 2005. Three weeks after I bought it my car didn't start right away. I called a friend and they told me to put my key in the ignition in the "on" position and wait for 10 min. After 10 min. turn key off and restart. My car starts right up after each time. This problem occurs about one and four starts of the car. It has caused me to be late for work numerous times. In hot Texas weather I have had to sit in my hot car after grocery shopping to wait for my car to start, thinking the whole time that if I was in an emergency situation that I needed my car and this happened then I would be screwed. The other day on my way to work in the early morning, my car just stopped running while going down the road. My power steering was gone, had no control other than to glide to a stop. When I stopped I put my car in park and re-started it. After reading other similar complaints, I am now upset that this may happen again and next time it may be on the highway. GM needs to recall this and fix the problem! Fed up in Texas!!

- , Corpus Chrsti, TX, USA

Sep 102009

Grand Am SE 3.4L V6

this needs to be taken care of by gm this can result in someone being hurt are killed

- , Lagrange, KY, USA

Jul 232009

Grand Am SE

I am having alot of difficulty believing that there is no solution to this passlock problem. Other than buying a bypass system... I have tried to reset it to no avail... but now I am almost afraid to drive it with all that has been said about the engine just stopping with no reason....

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 082009

Grand Am V6

if there have been so many problems with the passlock for everyone ,why hasn't the manufacturer done anything? is there a way to bypass this problem? i am sick of it.!!!!!

- , Williamsport, KY, USA

Mar 212009

Grand Am V6

I traded my car which was a 1997 Ford Taurus at a dealership. I wanted a new car that didn't have problems like the Taurus did. The dealership where I got it was going to get me in a 2009 car like I wanted. I didn't have any credit built up because I am young. So they tossed me around trying to get me in different cars and then they said a Pontaic just came in and they could get me in that. So of course I said "okay", which now I know was a big mistake. When they got me in the car I pressed on the brake and i told him it went all the way down to the floor, to which he responded that the brakes just need to wear in. That's a lie.

So I've had the car only for 3 months now and I already had to get the coolant fixed which I didn't have to pay for and the turn signal fixed too. Then today, the car won't seem to take the key at all. So I was stuck at a store with no phone and had to walk home. Then I didn't know about the bypass lock!! I called Pontaic and filed a claim with them and told them my problem and they said this is the most common problem with this car. Well no sh*t! Fix the damn problem then assholes.

This is so dangerous for them to make a car like this...losers! I will be taking this cat back on Monday. I'm not going to be paying monthly payments for a car that I can't even enjoy and drive!

- , Mishawaka, IN, USA