Key Stuck In The Ignition

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix:

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments

Oct 112011

Grand Prix GT 3.8L

"key stuck in the ignition" has been an intermittent problem for over a year. Would not occur at dealership when I went to ask what it would cost to fix it -- thus, they talked about disassembling lots of things to find the problem. It didn't happen often enough to make me give them carte blanche to fool around with it for an open-ended fee.

The problem is now very bad. It takes me five minutes or more of shifting in and out of Park and trying to take out the key; obviously can't leave the keys in the car, especially since the electrical system is not completely OFF. Tomorrow was going to be the day I would make an appointment to pay the dealer whatever he wanted to fix it.

But tonight, on this site (, I found an answer I can live with: carrying a small screwdriver with which I can press the Unlock switch hidden in the steering column. For details, see

Thanks for saving me a bundle of money!

- , Glenwood, MD, USA