NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 2 of 4)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Dec 172014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle could be restarted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition cylinder and key needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred on several occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Little Lock, AR, USA

Aug 012014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving approximately 35 mph and signaling to turn right, the high beams activated independently. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the failure was related to NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired because the part was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- East St. Louis, IL, USA

Dec 012014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start when the key was entered into the ignition. A locksmith informed the contact that a new ignition was required. The failure occurred on several occasions. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,119.

- Salem, OR, USA

Dec 192014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system), the key failed to turn in the ignition and fractured. The contact stated that prior to the recall remedy, the vehicle did not experience a failure related to the recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 175,338.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 122014

Grand Prix

Mailing christmas packages and stopped to fill up with gas. Went inside to use restroom, came back out and as I approached the car, I smelled an unusual odor. Got in, started it, noticed smoke coming up on outside of window on passenger side. Since I was parked next to the gas pumps, I elected to put it in drive and pull forward away from people and gas pumps, yelled at employees to call fire dept. As by this time the smoke was coming through the vents into the inside of the car. By the time the firemen arrived, the front of the car was engulfed in flames (I took 3 pictures to show progression of the fire) that was so hot that parts were melting onto the asphalt. The firemen had to use a crowbar to open the hood to get to the fire. I think that the car should have been included in the recall of the 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix as the fire happened exactly as others describe - no problems running, no indication of trouble by way of warning lights. I'm just thankful that I didn't pull it into our attached garage at home.

- Darien, IL, USA

Nov 162014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. Upon attempting to start the vehicle, the key would not turn over into the on position. The contact made multiple attempts to start the vehicle. The failure began after the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000.

- Adamsville, AL, USA

Nov 142014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving 35 mph, the ignition switch moved independently from the run position without warning. As a result, the vehicle struck a curb and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a neck injury that did not require medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 156,000.

- Bladensburg, MD, USA

Oct 012014

Grand Prix 6-cyl

2004 Pontiac GT Grand Prix. Consumer writes in regards to receiving recall notice and electrical issues. The consumer stated he experienced electrical issues, over the years. The instrument panel would go out. The A/C fan motor, and tail lights failed. The vehicle would shut off at any time. The ignition switch was eventually replaced. Also, the engine overheated.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Aug 022014

Grand Prix

I had just arrived at work to begin my shift..as I entered the building to go clock in within several minutes I noticed several employees exiting the building and gathering outside in the parking lot..in the middle of me askn an employee what was going on outside another employee notified me that my vechicle was on fire.

- Johnstown, CO, USA

Oct 152014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). However, the contact was displeased with the schedule of when the dealer would perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Oct 302007

Grand Prix 6-cyl

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall and airbags did not deploy during accident. The consumer stated she slammed on the brake, to avoid hitting some tires, that were on the highway. Her vehicle stopped moving completely and everything went dark on the inside. As a result, she was rear ended. The consumer was injured in the accident. Updated 10/29/15.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 272014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle, it caught on fire. The contact was able to extinguish the fire. A police/fire report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a impound lot. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 124,000.

- Green City, MO, USA

Oct 302007

Grand Prix 6-cyl

While exiting off of linwood to J.C. lodge southbound. There was a van that stopped at the end of the ramp. Someone had thrown tires on to the express way. After he pulled off I saw the tires and slammed on my brakes.I was unable to move my car it had cut off. There was no music or lights on in my car. 30 -40 seconds later I was rear- ended. My trunk was pushed into the backseat.while at the scene the driver who hit me became very belligerent and continuously asked ' why was I just sitting there?. I was taken by an ambulance to henry Ford hospital on w. grand blvd. The officer at the scene came to the hospital. He asked me questions about the crash. I told him "it got dark and quiet". it was my ignition switch. Both rotator cuffs were torn, disc in my back was displaced, broke my toe on my left foot, sprained my ankle, surgery recommended for both knees and rotator cuffs. I also have extreme joint pain and swelling all over my body. Had surgery on my left rotator cuff. I know walk with a cane. I cannot sit or stand for long periods of time. Months and months of physical therapy and pain medication. It killed mines and my family's life as we once knew it.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 192014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. As a result, the vehicle crashed into a wall barrier. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries reported and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system), but it was not confirmed if the vehicle was included in the recall. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 122013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Key loose in ignition causing voltage to drop while idling, which causes tracking system fault to appear on dash. Key so loose in ignition ( the slightest movement can cause car to turn off. Took to GM...and he agreed and saw how loose key were. Talked to GM complaint-case # and told them I would feel safer to go ahead and replace ignition switch and cylinder due to key not making good connection with cylinder due to loose ignition switch!!! $700 repair bill I would love to be compensated on. Had work done 09-19-2014. Please reply thank you.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Nov 062013

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that the driver was unable to turn the steering wheel and the vehicle stalled. As a result, the driver crashed into an expressway wall and bounced off into traffic where it was struck by another vehicle and a truck. A police report was filed. The driver was fatally injured. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system), but it was not confirmed if the vehicle was included in the recall. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage and speed were unavailable.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 122014

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I was pulling into my drive way and my power steering went out. On a separate occasion my blower motor would not switch off I had to remove the battery cables in order for it to shut off. When I had it looked at the blower motor resistor had burn marks on it. And I was lucky to have it replaced as it could have caused a fire. The car over heats when the heating system is not working despite having a new water pump replaced. I was slow on my street and the key had fallen out of my ignition and the car shut off I was not going very fast and I was on my street but it was scary as I had to try to pull the car over in order to try and restart it. This vehicle says it has many recalls but when I place my VIN in the GM website it says nothing. My air bag light is on and I feel as though my car may not deploy the air bags in a crash.

- Farmington Hills , MI, USA

Dec 172013

Ignition switch failed.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 132013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Hitting bumps in road the car would quit-loosing brake assist and steering--this has been driving me nuts since last August (2013) trying to figure out what was causing the car to quit--after learning of a recall on other GM's experiencing similar issues it all came together--so I paid close to attention the ignition switch when this would happen the switch had moved from the run position to off (acc) position. Next I experimented a bit started the car at home (in the driveway) and just touched the ignition switch key and it moved to the off position very easily. I'll be replacing the switch asap. No the key chain has not been overloaded (per GM).

- Faribault, MN, USA

Aug 062013

Grand Prix

Got to work (drove approximately 13 miles), had no warnings on display and heat gauge was reading normal, parked the car, within minutes the car was smoking and on fire under the hood. Unsure of origin of fire, damage was extensive. Fire spread very fast.

- Isanti, MN, USA