NHTSA — Engine Problems

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 4 of 4)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Sep 242014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated while driving approximately 2 mph, a rattling noise sounded from the front end of the vehicle near both wheel areas. There was also a constant vibration. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who, discovered that the motor mount would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 22,054. The VIN was unavailable.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Dec 152012

Grand Prix

Son was driving car and hit another car head on. He received concussion and broken foot. He is not sure what happened to cause him to go left of center, air bags did not deploy and car was totaled. This was actually 2nd time car veered off for no reason. First time car hit a curb and blew a tire. No explanation as to why this happened, then car was drove until the serious head on crash, now that recalls are being made public about ignition issues, we feel like this caused both wrecks.

- Milford, OH, USA

May 122014

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I was pulling into my drive way and my power steering went out. On a separate occasion my blower motor would not switch off I had to remove the battery cables in order for it to shut off. When I had it looked at the blower motor resistor had burn marks on it. And I was lucky to have it replaced as it could have caused a fire. The car over heats when the heating system is not working despite having a new water pump replaced. I was slow on my street and the key had fallen out of my ignition and the car shut off I was not going very fast and I was on my street but it was scary as I had to try to pull the car over in order to try and restart it. This vehicle says it has many recalls but when I place my VIN in the GM website it says nothing. My air bag light is on and I feel as though my car may not deploy the air bags in a crash.

- Farmington Hills , MI, USA

Jan 132014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. The engine light and engine power reduced indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road where the vehicle was restarted and resumed normal functioned. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the accelerator sensor and crank shaft sensor were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 88,000 and the current mileage was 88,432.

- Dublin, CA, USA

Jun 012012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

This happen several times driving on freeway 60-70 mph an engine loss power warning light vehicle. Vehicle started to hesitate will not accelerate over 10-20 mph. Stalled on the emergency lane. After sitting around 10 mins vehicle started again back and warning light turned off. Arrived at dealership no codes. I cannot afford another vehicle can somebody assist me before I get into an accident with my kids...updated 06/09/14 updated 06/10/2014

- Houston, TX, USA

May 102005

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds and going over a bump, the vehicle would stall without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 12,000 and the current mileage was 82,000.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 182013

Grand Prix

Car was in the shop 9/16 - 9/17/13 for an ABS harness. Late afternoon on 9/17/13 I was told the car was ready. We left it there overnight because we couldn't get there before closing, so we picked it up at 7:00 am this morning, 9/18/13. My daughter drove it 10 miles to school and parked it. Within 30 minutes the engine was engulfed in flames and smoke. By around 9:30 am the car was towed away and its been deemed totaled.

- Monrovia, MD, USA

Mar 072013

Grand Prix

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix transmission slipping/jerking motion going from dead start or uphill/downhill. Seems very very dangerous as trying to pull out into traffic is never consistent and the jerking motion forces people behind to slam on brakes. Happens up to 3 times in a row. This is a very dangerous issue and something needs to be done about this I do not want to be driving in danger like this anymore.

- Roseville, CA, USA