NHTSA — Steering Problems

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 1 of 3)

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 262016

Grand Prix

1st problem is steering wheel locks up every know and then 2nd hit a bump or drive over rxr tracks the traction light and ABS light come on.

- Davison, MI, USA

Sep 202016

Grand Prix

Vehicle was traveling North, went to turn West, lost control of vehicle striking a wooden bridge guardrail and embankment before returning to roadway. Damage is frontend, hood, headlights, undercarriage, right front wheel, steering components, engine. Daughter transported by ems

- Odessa, MO, USA

Sep 062016

Grand Prix

System failure appears on dashboard lights flicker unable to control car on highway..now home and now will not even start a safety hazard

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Aug 052016

Grand Prix

While driving in town, making a legal U-turn at a safe speed, the power steering failed mid-turn and the car was very hard to control and the steering wheel jerked violently. It is unknown what caused the failure, however there is a recall on my vehicle concerning catastrophic steering failure. This steering failure was caused by faulty manufacturing/ equipment by GM.

- Carlisle, OH, USA

Jun 132016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. After the vehicle was serviced per an unknown recall, it decelerated while driving and the steering wheel was difficult to turn left and right. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Dewitt, AR, USA

Mar 012012

Grand Prix

I had the exact model, make and year and my power steering fluid was leaking slowly for appox. 1 month and after driving it 20 miles I parked at house and smelled something I walked 10 feet and heard a loud noise and then hood flew off and the engine was on fire and melted siding off house. I bought another car exactly same model, make yr, my power stearing on this car is leaking exactly the same as my 1sr car but faster leak. I do not drive it at all for over month.

- Southampton, MA, USA

Mar 142005

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that the original keys to the vehicle became inoperable while trying to open the doors and trunk of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the cause of the failure was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the engine stalled and the steering wheel became inoperable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Dec 272015

Grand Prix

While driving approximately 30 miles per hour, steering wheel became tight then locked while in motion. I braked immediately fought wheel to park on side of street, same time "charging system failure" notification came on. I plugged diagnostic reader no codes come up. Checked serpentine belt, visual check underhood, nothing out of place. Oil change, tune up and minor work done recently however, this issue was sudden and cannot be detected. Afraid for my life as I regularly take highway for travel. Recalled for code 14574 last week, would really appreciate if local mechanic"simmons-rockwell big flats N.Y. is scheduled to repair code 14574 Tuesday Dec.29, at 930am would appreciate if same mechanic could be compensated to diagnose problem. Said mechanic did repair key code for other recall and only GM dealer in town.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Oct 152015

Grand Prix

The computer system all last year had the wrong dates compared to the day of week it was. When I am driving sometimes and I come to a stop my car slides especially in rain and snow. My ABS light comes up almost always when I'm driving

- Memphis, TN, USA

Oct 082015

Grand Prix

I was driving down the street and turned left my car slowed down like it wanted to stop then the ac was turned off automatically and my car started running hot..I went to O'reilly's & they didn't kno what was wrong..they said everything looked fine under the hood and nothing was low

- Monroe, LA, USA

Sep 052014

Grand Prix

Ignition switch very loose with key in or out. You could barely touch it and the voltage would drop causing car to try to turn off on its own. I replaced the cylinder and switch due to fear car would turn off by its self. Would like to be reimberssed $679.36 please keep me informed on recall of this problem. I have a open case on this matter

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 012015

Grand Prix

I was having prob with steering my car. Had it checked and told it needed replaced. When I was ordering the pump, I was told it was under recall. Total of 319 dollars parts and labor. If this part is under recall shouldn't it be fixed at no charge to

- Little Valley, NY, USA

Apr 022015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle did not stop. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized, the traction warning indicator illuminated, and all of the gauges on the instrument panel failed. The contact crashed the vehicle into a pole and the engine stalled. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Dixmoory, IL, USA

Mar 252015

Grand Prix

I was driving at a rate of 45 mph and my steering wheel locked up on me which caused me to go towards in coming traffic luckily the car I was headed towards stopped. I tried to turn my steering wheel back to the right but nothing happened. I had to stop my car in the middle of the road to turn my steering wheel because it was so hard to turn. The gentleman in the other car got out to help me move my car out of the road, and he was able to turn the steering wheel. He told me to turn it off and turn it back on and then I was able to drive it without it locking back up on me that day. Since then I have had it lock up on me while backing out or turning into the parking garage at work on multiple occasions.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Mar 202013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

My mother was killed in a head on collision in a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. She was traveling South bound on a street called hewitt when her left the lane for no known reason and hit a car traveling North bound head on dying with in seconds of the accident. The police did not know why this happened. There were no skid marks from braking nor gouges nor anything that showed she tried to brake or avoid hitting this car. I had just talked to her 20min before her death. Her left leg was broke as if she had applied great pressure to the brakes and her steering wheel was in a locked position causing her right arm to break. There is no known reason why her seat belt gave away because she was known to wear her seatbelt at all times I received a recall letter a year later about this vehicle but it was to late. My mother had an excellent driving record. This has been a tremendous loss!

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 152015

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving at 60 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle, crashed into some leaves, and slid sideways down a hill. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained soreness in the back and knees that did not require medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 157,000.

- Keysville, VA, USA

Feb 042013

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving approximately 60 mph, the ABS and traction control warning indicators illuminated, the steering wheel tightened, and the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failures recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who stated that the spring control mechanism failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 5/26/15

- Dillsburg, PA, USA

Nov 062013

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that the driver was unable to turn the steering wheel and the vehicle stalled. As a result, the driver crashed into an expressway wall and bounced off into traffic where it was struck by another vehicle and a truck. A police report was filed. The driver was fatally injured. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system), but it was not confirmed if the vehicle was included in the recall. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage and speed were unavailable.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 112013

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that excessive force was required to maneuver the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and the power steering pump and rack and pinion were replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 219,940.

- Cuba, AL, USA

Sep 102014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the power steering failed and excessive force was required to maneuver the vehicle. The failure caused the contact to crash into a side wall and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and minor injuries were sustained. The vehicle was taken to a salvage facility. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Bach Springs, TX, USA