NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 2 of 2)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 192013

• 1,290,000 miles

I have had 3 service lights come on: Service antilock brake system, service variable steering effort, service traction control. I took the car to my mechanic who suggested that the traction system component be replaced by a dealer and that there was a recall associated with the steering component of this vehicle. I have not received a recall notice ever regarding this. Now, I am dealing with repairs. The caveat and danger here is that the steering is a vital component to driving abilities and without proper steering and traction control there could be an accident. I have contacted GM regarding this problem and they state that this vehicle is not associated with a recall; that is not what my mechanic has advised me. He said there was a recall on 2005-2006 Pontiac Grand Prix.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Oct 142010

Grand Prix

Bought a "nice" used Pontiac Grand Prix gxp in 2008 (an 06 model). The car only had around 17,000 miles on it. This car has been the biggest money pit ever. I am so disappointed with this vehicle. I have prided myself in buying american made vehicles, but not anymore! first of all, the tire sizing and the price of the tires, ridiculous! the power steering line broke, and of course it wasn't the line that was covered under recall, there has always been a noise in the front end, especially going at a slower speed and over bumps, kind of popping, I've always felt that there was something wrong in the front end. In Oct. 2010, the hubs and bearings were replaced, they were still under warranty, but we had to pay a deductible, which was quite a bit, then in July 2011, with 60,000 some odd miles on it, the traction control light, the ABS light came on, took it to the dealership, they say it's a sensor, in the left hub (that we just had changed, less than a year ago), the warrant had ran out on it, so we paid almost 500 to replace that, then surprise, surprise, it has happened again the lights are back on! also, sometimes when I accelerate at say a stop sign or stop light, there's sort of a "grabbing" and the car doesn't want to go, like it could be the transmission slipping. These are actually just a few of the things that I've had go wrong, there's been odds and ends things that of course have cost a fortune to fix, everything on this car is...oh, the tie rod end, that was something else that had to be replaced...I could go on and on money pit. I want to get rid of it, but it's one of those things, I've got too much invested in it..I'd never get out of it what I need..no wonder they no longer produce Pontiac. From the things I've read, it seems that I am not the only person who has had trouble out of this vehicle. It seems as though there should have been alot more recalls.

- Pedro, OH, USA

Nov 102010

Grand Prix 4WD 6-cyl

1006 Pontiac Grand Prix- bad wheel bearings and steering shaft.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Nov 152007

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact was driving approximately 15 mph on normal road conditions; proceeding to make a turn. The steering wheel began to make a loud whining noise with a loss of power steering. The speed rate was increased and the vehicle resumed to normal operation. There was also a reduction in the whining noise. The failures occurred whenever traveling at a low speed rate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The mechanic dispensed an unknown solution in the vehicle. The failures continued with no resolution. The failure mileage was 18,000.

- Waynesburg, OH, USA

Oct 102008

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. He heard a rattling noise in the front end of the vehicle while driving 10 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they replaced components in the steering shaft, unknown to the contact. The contact continued to hear the rattling noise in the vehicle and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer where they replaced an unknown component in the vehicle. The vehicle was released to the contact with the same rattling noise. The contact investigated the vehicle further and found that the lower ball joints were failing. The dealer verified the lower ball joints were worn out and they were replaced under warranty at 33,000 miles. Within 12,00 miles, the rattling noise was back but would only occur while traveling over any uneven road surface. No additional repairs were made to the vehicle. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 33,000 and the current was 46,000.

- Bean Station, TN, USA

Jan 292010

Grand Prix

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix 34,200 miles on it. Brake system light on, antilock brake system (ABS) light on. Traction control light on, service brake/ABS/traction/stability message displayed. This happened all at once this morning, car felt like it didn't want to stop. No warning! I only commute 10 miles to work each day with this vehicle. This shouldn't be happening with a fairly new car right? traded my Camry for this car. Tried to stay american!!! I would also like to state that I had trouble stopping, when trying to turn a corner and apply brake. (just two days ago) felt like a knocking under brake pedal. Looking back I wonder if this could be related. I bought this car brand new, from in york, pa. I am afraid to drive this car, and I don't see how this problem is related to everyday use. I feel cheated and unsafe.

- Middletown, PA, USA

May 032009

Grand Prix

My power steering went on my 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix that I purchased from a dealership on 09/22/07. When I first got the car the steering column was making noises. Dealer repaired and all of a sudden in April my wheel got tight and I contacted the dealer and they said there wasn't nothing much they can do and for me to bring the car in for inspection. I was unable to bring it in due to work schedule conflicts. My husband was driving and the wheel locked up and resulted in my car flipping over and a loss of total damage to the car. There were 4 passengers and we all climbed out of the back window while the car was flipped upside down. Me and the other 2 passengers were transported to the er via ambulance.

- New Britain, CT, USA

Jul 152007

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I am writing a complaint regarding my car. I purchased the vehicle in 2006. I had to replace the stabilizer pin, wheel bearings, front brakes and it seems like something is wrong in the steering wheel. Parts inside of the car are falling off. I've had to buy new tires due to all these front end problems with the car and not knowing until it has caused a problem somewhere else. Now the tires that I purchased about a 1 1/2 year ago is now very worn from these front end problems with the car. I am very upset because I feel like, I have been robbed. I am a single parent working 2 full-time jobs just to pay for a car that seems to be breaking down on me no matter how much I try to take total care of it. Paying a very costly car note, insurance, and warranty. I tell myself is this what I am working so hard to pay for. This car out weighs what I pay for rent each month. I remember a time that Pontiac made good cars that was built to last as long as you take care of it. Now it seems that it is built to break down before you could pay there vehicles off. I am really furious and outraged with this car that I can't really rely on. Updated 06/02/09.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Mar 262007

Grand Prix 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving 55 mph a deer crossing the road caused the contact to lose control of the steering as she avoided hitting the deer. Also, the brakes failed and she was unable to stop the vehicle. The vehicle rolled over 3 times. The driver and the passenger were injured with broken backs. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was taken. There was no mention of photos. The current and failure mileage was 34000.

- Eden , TX, USA