NHTSA — Steering Problems

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 1 of 2)

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 012014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving at various speeds, the power steering suddenly malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to become extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure continued. The vehicle also experienced overheating and loss of anti freeze. The cause of the failure was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Nov 222013

Grand Prix

Steering: Clicking noise when turning transmission has a light slip into 1st and sometimes hard shift into 2nd had this looked at in 2013 while it was still under warranty and the dealer didn't want to acknowledge there was a problem. This should be under recall since more people have this same problem.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 302015

Grand Prix

I was driving down the hiway when everything just stopped the lights, powering steering message on dash said starting disabled due to electronic throttle control took to dealer said I had a short in my iginition so put in a new 1 drove about 60 miles did it again went back they couldnt find nothing wrong with it lubed the controls & now im scared to drive it & cant really afford a new car right now as im on ss why cant they find out whats wrong with

- New York Mills, MN, USA

Sep 192015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled without warning. As a result, the vehicle rolled into the curb. After attempting to restart the vehicle, the front of the vehicle caught fire. The contact was able to extinguish the fire. A fire report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 012014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. While making a right turn, an abnormal noise emitted from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the steering knuckles fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was to be further diagnosed by the mechanic to determine if additional components needed to be replaced. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09E005000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 225,000.

- Parshall, ND, USA

May 162015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. While traveling less than 15 mph to enter a drive thru, the steering wheel locked to the right and the vehicle crashed into a wall. The contact had extreme difficulty unlocking the steering wheel and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was unable to be driven. The contact was able to get the vehicle to restart the next day and it was driven to a repair shop. The insurance company repaired the body work. The ignition switch failure and power steering failure were not inspected or diagnosed. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system), but the contact had not received the recall repair appointment. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09E005000 (steering). A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Oct 072014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled as the check engine warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician informed that the vehicle was operating as designed. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Garyville, LA, USA

Nov 012014

Grand Prix

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix: Vehicle engine shuts off while driving regardless of the speed you are going example: 10-65mph, steering wheel locks up so you can't pull to the side of the road to avoid crash. A month or so before engine started shutting off my airbag light an tone was appearing and alarming... I've almost been crashed into 4 times by semi's an school buses. This is very serious an dangerous it almost caused my life an I am 7 months pregnant with a 6 year old who has also been in the car with me. I hope this gets resolved I wasn't warned of any recall good thing I started googling an found out that there has been a recall on my ignition/electrical system.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 012013

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle veered to the right and the power steering failed and caused the vehicle to crash into a store. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact did not sustain any injuries. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Philadelphia , PA, USA

Mar 152014

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2006 Grand Prix. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacture was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 102013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

My lights go off on there own no warning an then the brights come on an stay on an when I try yo use the signal lights all the lights in the car cuts off and when I was driving my brakes. Sometimes not all the time they've been checked several times and each time they have been checked there's nothing wrong with itand now my steering column have a problem with it don't know what's causing it don't know what's wrong but its hard for me to turn my car now.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Sep 202014

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I was driving West bound on I-10 towards tucson Arizona. I was in the right lane and there was a pickup truck in the left lane. The pickup truck cut me off and moved into my lane without checking his blind spot. I quickly swerved to the right into the lane for the upcoming exit to avoid being hit, and when I tried to correct to left in order to not hit exit sign the brakes felt as if they did not work right and I couldn't get control of the vehicle. The car went into a roll and landed on the passenger side. None of the airbags deployed. I had left town the day before and was on my way back. When I contacted my parents about the accident on the 21st they told me that a recall had come in the mail the day before for my vehicle. The recall was the GM recall notice. Because I was unaware of the recall I had many keys on my key ring. I feel that although the reason I had to swerve was because of another car, the reason I couldn't get back control was a malfunction in my car.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Apr 082014

Grand Prix

Were traveling and without warning the car stopped running and we were on a very busy highway and barely were able to get off the road and out of traffic area. Had to have the car towed (this expense I think GM should be responsible for now that there is a recall. Also, how can they justify that we wait until October 1st to have their goof-up repaired. At times it is difficult to even get the key in the ignition to start the engine.

- Temple, TX, USA

Nov 132013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

While driving display flashed about 4 alerts, from traction system, ABS brakes engine would shut off, and I would lose power steering. This happened around a dozen times in the span of a week. I was able to pull the car over, by using all of my strength on the steering wheel, and shut the car off, then restart it. I had to take it in to the mechanic and they had to replace the computer, and some other parts costing over $800.

- Loveland, CO, USA

Jul 302014

Grand Prix 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering assist failed. The failure occurred on one occasion. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000. Updated 10/22/14

- Howell, MI, USA

Aug 282013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Was driving down E. grand river and got maybe 5 miles down the road and it felt like I hit something and I could not keep my steering straight. It got tight all of a sudden and was hard to turn. It was not a flat as all tires look fine. And all belts believe to be fine. Power steering fluid is fine. This happened on July 30, 2014.

- Howell, MI, USA

Apr 052010

Grand Prix 6-cyl

When doing 60, my car would shut off while driving suddenly in the middle of the highway and I would lose power steering and would have to fight steering to get off the road to prevent accident. I would never know when it would happen it just did without warning. This happen multiple times until one day it wouldn't start. I called harper motors, where I bought the car in 2006 and they came and took my car to fix it in 2010. They had to replace my ignition switch and replace my computer. It cost me over 800dols. Don't know why my car wasn't put in the GM recall but it should have. I thank god that I wasn't on a major hwy. Each time this happened.

- Minden, LA, USA

Apr 242014

Grand Prix

I have a recall on my car that I want fixed the steering is acting up but nothing has happened yet.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Feb 272014

Grand Prix

I was driving home from work and when I turned a corner, the engine cut out. I believe it was from the key flipping to accessory. I've heard that this has caused crashes that have killed people and would like this fixed. This is the first time it happened, but now I'm worried every time I drive it that this is going to happen and I don't feel safe letting my wife drive the car now. Why are the 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix vehicles not part of the recall from GM?

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Jun 242013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

The transmission slips and bangs bad after driving around 65 mph then slowing down and turning on an off ramp trans fluid temp is about 195 degrees at time of incident. This slip happens in low gears sometimes as well after driving around on short trips. Also, replaced gear shift sprague lock something two times already. Also the ac heater fan motor has burned out, now new one works intermittently.

- Burr Ridge, IL, USA