NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2004 Saturn Ion (Page 1 of 12)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the 2004 Saturn Ion: defective transmission, deadly ignition switch, temperamental power steering and a cheap plastic exterior that won’t protect you in a crash. What more could you want?

The 2004 Ion was part of GM’s massive ignition switch recall where it was revealed they waited 10 years – and let 13 people die – before doing anything about it. It also features GM’s now infamous VTi continuously variable transmission. Let me tell you, the only thing the VTi did continuously was fail on its owners. GM scrapped it after only two model years.

2004 Saturn Ion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Saturn Ion:

2004 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Aug 222016

Ion

Was guaranteed that nothing was wrong with it. I originally got a 2007 Ford escape by trading in my vehicle and 500 cash. They wanted me to put down an additional 900 down which I ended up not being able to do. So they offered to put me in another vehicle that was cheaper and I would not have to put any more money on. The 2004 Saturn Ion I received on 08/23/2016 not only had clutch issues which I said I would fix, but the battery light kept coming on and they assured me that nothing was wrong with the car mechanically. We did not even make it down the road before the vehicle broke down and had to have it towed. So now the car sits in my yard and I am out my original vehicle and the 500 cash I used originally plus towing charges and a vehicle I have to pay on that I cannot drive. I want them to come get the car and give back the 500 I wasted on two junk vehicles. I also had issues with the 2007 Ford escape. I was pretty much stuck taking this vehicle since I live two hours away and had no other way home.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Aug 082016

Ion

March 2015 - dealership replaced the recalled ignition. Shortly after the car wouldn't start a few times, and I replaced the starter. June-July 2016 - the car wouldn't start and the passlock light would turn on. After resetting the passlock (leave the ignition turned to the run position for 10 minutes) it would start imediately. July 11, 2016 - taken to the same dealership and told them it started after the ignition was changed. Told that it was the body control monitor ($829). Repairs finished July 15, 2016. August 4, 2016 - car taken back for trouble starting once more. August 8, 2016 - ignition changed once more, but charged again because GM wouldn't cover it. I find it ridiculous that my car worked fine until I had a part changed due to a recall, and now that replacement was faulty and I'm being charged for it!

- Warren, MI, USA

Mar 282014

Ion 4-cyl

2004 Saturn Ion. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle shuts off while driving. The dealer replaced the ignition switch.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jul 072014

Ion

Car went for recall 7/7/14 about 3 times after the first recall I contact general motor to ask what have happend why tyhe car need to go back in again for the second recall Chevrolet sayd that they did not perfom the job right once again I contact general motor in deceber they send me a letter telling me and comes back with the same problems driving the car in the freeway car stop could not get out because car lock me inside the key did not want to come out after the recalls the car still have problems with the ignition

- Reseda, CA, USA

Apr 092015

Ion

After the car is stopped and placed in park, the engine can be shut off but the key stays in a accesory mode and can not be turned to off or removed from the ignition.

- Hooper, UT, USA

Feb 212014

Ion

The contact owned a 2004 Saturn Ion. While driving approximately 62 mph, the vehicle stalled and came to a sudden stop as the contact attempted to exit the freeway. The vehicle rolled over two times and landed upside down. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a body shop. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact notices for NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system), 14V171000 (electrical system), and 14V153000 (steering) after the crash occurred. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 222015

Ion

2 recalles.,they installed an ignition switch and electric power stering assist motor plus 3 diagnostics and $ $877.43 later and our original problem of intermitantly wont start still exists.we were told to cut our losses because we do not know what is wrong with your car. This is a 2004 Saturn Ion. We want our car fixed first or our money back. We feel the dealer should know what is wrong with there car. We feel there may be a recall they are not telling us about like recall #03V231000.

- 98371, WA, USA

May 292015

Ion

While driving home from work my car died in the middle of an intersection. The A/C went off first then everything went off. I put car in park and after several tries the car started again. My ignition also gets stuck in the acc position(even after two ignition recalls) on a regular basis so glad I wasn't fighting that at that problem at the same time. Called GM dealer they said there is no recall but bring it in, they won't provide a loaner car but will give me a ride home because I live within 10 miles.

- Lincoln, CA, USA

Apr 032014

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14E021000 (electrical system) however, the parts to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Elkgrove, CA, USA

Dec 222014

Ion 4-cyl

The car wont turn on. It takes about 15 minutes to start the car. I had a recall on the ignition switch earlier this year and I have been having problems with it everysince.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Mar 152011

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. While parking, the shift lever failed to go into park and the key became stuck in the ignition switch. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the vehicle was working up to standards. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was not available.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Oct 202011

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact made numerous attempts before the key would release from the ignition switch. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system); however, the failure persisted after the recall remedy was performed. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 012014

Ion 4-cyl

Vehicle was involved in car accident shortly before recall was issued. Customer needs assistance in getting this matter resolved. The consumer lost control of the vehicle, it slid and rolled over twice and landed upside down. Also, the air bag did not deploy. The consumer suffered serious injuries.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 312015

Ion

The ignition switch replaced under recall #14063 on July 15, 2014 failed on Jan 31, 2015 by jamming in the off position. Car was towed to a GM authorized Saturn service center where the ignition lock and cylinder were replaced on Feb 2, 2015. Dealer stated that the recall ignition switch installed in July did not have a warranty and charged $275.83 for the service.

- Burnt Hills, NY, USA

Feb 112015

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system), 14V171000 (electrical system), and 14153000 (steering); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 152013

Ion 4-cyl

2004 Saturn Ion 2 the ignition switch turned off numerous times on me, and the power steering went out probably 10 times a week. The consumer stated he was able to remove the key from ignition, at any time in any gear. The consumer was involved in two accidents due to the vehicle shutting off, during a turn. The second accident occurred in February 2014. While attempting to make a turn, he soon discovered the vehicle had no power steering and was unable to steer the vehicle. Consequently, he ran off the road and struck the right edge of a driveway. The ignition lock cylinder was replaced on September 12, 2014.

- Wentzville, MO, USA

Jan 132015

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 151,000.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact stated when she turned the ignition switch, the vehicle failed to turn on intermittently. In addition, the power steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 250,000.

- Marcellus, MI, USA

Dec 112014

Ion

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shut off. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14E021000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 162014

Ion 4-cyl

I am the owner of a 2004 Saturn Ion. I have had the ignition swich replaced due to a recall. However the key is still sticking in the ignition. I have had this problem prior to the recall and I still have it. It happens not often but enough to be annoying. I have to move the key back and forth and eventually the key will come out. I would like to know if there is a recall for that kind of problem.

- Staten Island, NY, USA