Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

May 212016

My father-in-law is a auto mechanic. He changes the oil in my 2007 Toyota Camry every 2500-3500 miles. This is well before the recommended 5,000 mile service reminder light comes on. The car always burned oil but over the last year he has noticed that the car is burning significantly more oil. He recommended that I take the car to the Toyota dealer for a oil consumption test. I took the car to route 44 Toyota in raynham MA for the oil consumption test. I brought the car in with 147,212 miles for the test and a oil change. I was told to bring the car back between 148,212 - 148,512 miles. I noticed that after I original brought the car in for the the test, the car would idles at 800 RPM when stopped, after the oil change and test the car idle at 500-600 RPM. I brought the car back to route 44 Toyota for phase II of the oil consumption test with 148,290 miles. The serviced advisor said that the car passed the oil consumption test and was only down 1/2 a quart of oil. The car burns more than a quart of oil every 1,000 miles but the dealer is telling me that it doesn't. I also noticed that the car was back to idling at 800 RPM when stopped.

- Bridgewater, MA, USA

May 112016

I purchased my car used about 4 months ago I checked the oil shortly after purchase and it was nearly full. I recently had low oil engine pressure warning light come on. I checked my oil and had barely anything left. My car is somehow going through about a quart of oil every thousand miles or so and yet there is no evidence of a leak in my driveway.

- Swampscott, MA, USA

Feb 162016

I have 2007 Camry with a ticking noise coming from engine, but check engine light coming on. Take it to dealer N tell them I couldnt read no codes because no check engine light. Can hou guys hook up to your computer? service advisor said ok we'll take a look. When they're done, advisor told me we couldnt get no codes there's no check engine light, &charged me $159. 2 tell me what I originally told him. Rip off.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Dec 232011

My vehicle is burning through engine oil faster than normal, I've taken my car to two Toyota dealerships, the first one denied fixing my vehicle due to a female supervisor saying that they wont fix a salvaged car, she then alerted the surrounding dealership's telling them not to fix my car. The dealership is the one in san bernardino California, I then took my car to redlands California to see if that dealership could fix my car and they said that it showed in their system that my car shouldn't be fixed.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Apr 012016

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer for a manufacturer's satisfaction campaign for the water pump. During the dissembling of the vehicle, the technician notified the contact that the vehicle had a 2003 motor and that the repairs could not be performed. The vehicles water pump and tensioners were repaired, however during a test drive at the dealer the technician blew a block in the engine. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle would need a new motor. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- Salinas, CA, USA

Feb 022015

Car is burning an excessive amount of oil, have to constantly check and fill the oil. Its getting to the point that I am having to check and fill with oil once a week. Is there anything that is going to be done about this"??"

- Richmond, VA, USA

Apr 102016

There was a recall on my 2007 Toyota Camry. In February 2016 Toyota took possession of my vehicle for 3-4 weeks to repair or rebuild the engine to comply with the recall requirements. I was provided a loaner car during that period. During the less than 2 month period between when my car was returned to me on 2/18/16 and April 10, 2016, I did not take my car to any repair shop nor did I touch the engine for any reason. Apparently Toyota did not properly repair the vehicle when the recall repairs were done. On 4/10/16, while I was driving on the New Jersey turnpike, the engine self-destructed, there was a loud noise, smoke engulfed the engine and then it ceased running. I had the vehicle towed to the nearest Toyota dealership for warranty repair. On 4/11/16, I called Toyota for warranty payment to be made to the dealership so the engine could be repaired or replaced, I was told that first I had to pay for the $5,800 work to be done and then Toyota would reimburse me once I showed that I had all my service receipts that I had properly maintained my vehicle. This was an outrageous position for Toyota to take, because the car was released to me after Toyota thoroughly worked on it for 3-4 weeks and inspected it before releasing the car to me on 2/18/16. What possible maintenance would I have done in under two (2) months. I am also a low income wage earner and to require me to fund $5,800 and wait for reimbursement was unduly burdensome. Couple with the fact that the Toyota of princeton informed me that I would not be given a complimentary loaner car during the repair period. The cost of alternative transportation and advancing $5,800 was impossible and a clever way for Toyota to avoid their financial responsibility under the warranty. Instead, I saw no alternative but to accept the offer of princeton Toyota to give me $2000 credit toward the price of a used car.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Apr 062016

My Camry has check engine light on and oil needed to be changed once again in less than 3 months. Toyota has a recall on oil burning up but they checked last time and said it's okay. Evidently it's not. The mechanic recommended brake booster for the engine light issue which costs from $750-$1,200 which is hard to afford. This kind of issue can cost your life. Toyota needs to recall this and fix it since so many other people have the same issue.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Apr 012015

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine and low oil pressure warning lights illuminated. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 194,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 012016

There are several issues. First sticky dash board.. was told I'm being put on a waiting list for part. It's been months still no word. 2nd oil consumption is ridiculous.. oil runs out way before it's time for oil change every time.. no oil leaks anywhere.. car just burns oil super fast never experienced this with any car I've owned..3rd the car vibrates when in you hit around 40 mph at 1.5 RPM doesnt do it as much when car doesnt go in overdrive in 4th gear.. was told this may be a computer programing issue.. 4th my driver side back seat mat is melted to the floor. I was told something under the car may be getting to hot. Never got any real answers to my concerns.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Mar 182016

I had problems with my cars oil consumption and was never notified from Toyota that there was a recall back in May 2015 for engine oil consumption repair. The shop is now telling me I have a blown piston from what they can hear. I have records that I never missed an oil change and even have proof from Firestone complete care when my car was checked for oil leaks. There were none found. Toyota is refusing to repair my vehicle because they said it's too late to do an oil consumption test. I also sent Toyota proof of my oil changes from Firestone dated 12/13/14, 4/11/15, 6/29/15, 8/22/15, 10/08/15, 11/14/15 and 1/3/16. My car was towed into community Toyota on 3/23/16.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 012016

Oil consumption: After 1149 mi, I checked my oil and there was barley any oil in the car. The car has 149,000 miles on it. The dealer said that using a qt. Of oil every 1000 mi. Was normal. They said it passed the recall which was tested at 1000 mi. They refused to fixed the problem.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Mar 132016

Low oil due to overver-consumption: My car engine overheated and almost burnt because of oil overconsumption and I had to take the car and get oil change and got a report proving the very low oil level.

- Downey, CA, USA

Oct 012015

While the vehicle is in motion it hesitates to switch gears from 2nd to 3rd gear. As you accelerate. At times there is a jerk as it is doing so. This causes me to either slow down or speed up until it goes into gear.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Jan 232016

The ABS and brake lights of my Toyota 2007 Camry come on and off intermittently. When the lights are on, the whole dashboard readers; the speedometer, RPM, engine temperature and other gauges jump and flicker, the light markers for transmission gear and parking go off. The ac unit also did not work. I went to dealer to get it checked out but there were no codes to diagnose the issue. I was told to come back again when it happens for longer than a day. It keeps happening at various times of the day (morning and evening), when the car is stopped or moving, and on all types of roads and driving conditions (city streets, highway, at a stop light, at a stop sign, when I am turning). I have noticed that Toyota has already issued a recall for the same issue for the 2007 Camry hybrid. Given the sheer number of complaints I have read about this issue for the regular Camry 2007, it seems ridiculous that Toyota has not issued a recall for this for the 2007 Camry.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 032015

My car has an over oil consumption problem. Before the car is due for an oil change it is out of oil completely and due to this problem my car starting overheating and it cracked the head gasket. Toyota has a recall for the 4 cylinder models for this same issue but the 6 cylinder models are excluded. Despite the fact that I told them every time J went to their service center. Now I have to buy a new engine for the vehicle that I just bought.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Jan 222016

Engine consumed 4 qts of oil before regular 3000mi oil change, now engine is making noise.

- Newnan, GA, USA

Dec 272015

My 07 Camry runs completely out of oil before it's time for it to be changed. I have had the car checked for oil leaks and has passed each time. After researching this issue I have found that the more miles on the car the faster it runs the oil out and with that being said I now have engine damage. Not to mention this car has been the absolute worst. I put my visors down one time and had to take them off because they wouldn't go back up. The power controls in my car don't work. I also found out tonight that there was a recall on the gas pedal in this death trap that happened before I owned it that I was never informed of but knew something had to be wrong with it because it kept sticking!! I am not the only person dealing with this and find it outrageous that it has not been fixed. My children used to ride in that car!! it is a ticking time bomb and something needs to be done about this!!!!!!!

- Florence, SC, USA

Nov 212015

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving 35 mph, the contact heard a noise coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle started to lose speed. The contact costed over to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the oil tube fractured and burned the engine and would needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,300.

- Miami, FL, USA