Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Jan 162015

Camry 4-cyl

Excessive oil consumption is a problem. The vehicle uses three quarts of oil between 5,000 mile service. Two oil consumptions tests were done. Toyota stated not eligible for warranty.....updated 11/18/15 on my third oil consumption test which I had to pay for, it had a positive result. Toyota is going to pay for the repair because it qualifies. Mainly because it uses 4 quarts of oil now between changes every 5000 miles now. Thanks just want you to know what the deal is now. Updated 02/29/16.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jan 012007

I am concerned with the oil consumption. I had two test outcome failed I have stated shortly after purchase in Dec 2006 that car used oil. I think that I should be compensated for the numerous quarts of oil that have been wasted due to a flaw in this engine type. The time to repair is way too long. On average I have to add a quart a week that's a lot of oil since 2007. The people at Toyota need to speed up the process to have this issue fixed.

- Hudson, NC, USA

Jun 182015

My car was burning more than 5 quarts in less than 3K miles but after long time finally Toyota has fixed the issue. But this was happening for me from 45K miles on my car around 2009 until now. Mean while since the engine was burning which caused my catalytic converter to blow off. They should replace the catalytic converter too because this is caused by the engine oil burning in the combustion camber. Few years back they fixed my power window on the driver side but last 12- 18 months I am experiencing an issue some times the window opens on the passenger side but most of the time passenger would try to open but it wont open. I believe its an electrical issue which may have happened after they fixed on the driver side. If any accident happens then the passenger wont be able to get out which is very dangerous its an safety issue.

- Corona, CA, USA

Aug 122015

My car will burn throu +2 quarts of oil before I would reach 1200 miles having to change my oil every 1200 mile or adding 2+ quarts. If I forget to add or change oil engine will tick loud and I would lose acceleration power. I once forgot to add oil and trying to pull out in to traffic not realizing the lost of power I almost got T bone.

- Portland, ME, USA

May 082015

After driving 3000 miles I am down a quart of oil. I received a recall notice on this issue and when I brought it back they told me to return after 1000 miles I returned after 1000 miles and hey told me there is nothing rongwith the car. The car is still down a quart after 3,000 mile

- Rockaway Park, NY, USA

Jun 202015

I took this vehicle to the dealer (morristown Toyota on Jun 20,2015) to check why the light engine is on. The dealer diagnosed the problem as ' tech scanned for codes and found PO137 oxygen sensor circuit low bank 1 sensor 2' not sure if this is normal to have this problem for a car like Camry. Besides, it has several other problems since I bought. I have warranty at that time, all those were covered. I am really concern the quality of this manufacturer. I am bringing this issue here to see if this is a real issue or not and other should be concern about this.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Mar 152012

I have a problem with the oil, it burns a lot of oil or engine may exhibit engine oil consumption) and there is no power at the cigarette lighter plug on both of them. My first thought was that the fuse for it must be blown. I checked the fuse box under the hood, but there is nothing broken.

- El Monte, CA, USA

Nov 262009

The vehicle it has been burn/using to much oil, at least 4-5 times a week I need to add oil. The second problem is the phone car charger outlet and the cigarette lighter it's not working, and I tried to check the source on the bottom of the steering wheel all the socket, all of them is working/not broken. And also on the tape screen, it's happend only sometimes, it's suddenly the screen goes blank and after I put the pressure by pressing down on the screen it comes back to normal again. And I just find out that Toyota

- El Monte, CA, USA

Jan 092015

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While attempting to drive the vehicle, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the engine compartment and the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The check engine and oil pressure warning lights previously illuminated. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechani, who diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Hillsdale , MI, USA

Aug 202014

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the engine was consuming an excessive amount of oil. The contact stated that the engine would consume a quart of oil every 750 - 950 miles. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received a notification for an unknown manufacturer campaign related to the failure; however, the parts needed to do the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 117,000.

- Hanna, IN, USA

Apr 222015

On 3/4/15 I had an oil change at conrad's. on 3/11/15 I took my vehicle in to Toyota for the oil consumption test. At this time they asked when my last oil change was and I stated 3/4/15. They said they typically like to perform the oil change before the test but that oil change was recent enough to use. When they checked my oil they said my car arrived with no oil reading on the dipstick and that it was more than one quart low on oil. I explained how could that be I have no oil in my driveway or anywhere. The service advisor said they would need to do an oil change or they couldn't do the test. I called conrad's they stated that is not true and it's there word against Toyota. I had Toyota perform the oil change and they also sealed the engine off for the test. On 4/22/15 I returned as I had reached 1200 miles since the start of the test. At that point they stated my car passed and the oil consumption was good. In June I was headed out of town and the oil light flashed on as I exited the highway. At that point we added two quarts of oil. Now it is 8-5-15 and my son was driving the car and the engine started knocking. We added two quarts of oil but it's too late. The noise coming from inside the engine did not stop. Called Toyota today and talked to the service manager and he said I could bring it in to be looked at. I will have to tow it up there as I'm not sure if it's drivable. Next oil change was 9-7-15 or 92481 miles. Current milage 94014. It appears that the car is burning an excessive amount of oil even though Toyota claims it passed the test.

- North Olmsted , OH, USA

Mar 242015

My car started using oil at 115,000-123,000 miles. I took it in 2-3 months ago and Toyota performed an oil consumption test. My car used 1.6 quarts of oil during that time, it did not have any external leaks when they performed this test. I was told it was not under recall and this much oil consumption is normal. Using the much oil is not normal and it was not using oil before the 115,000 miles. I was told since it was not under recall that if I wanted the valve seals repaired it would be under my expense. This is not a new complaint about the 2007 Camry and the internet has numerous customers having excessive oil consumption and some were worse than mine. Toyota should own up to this defect and fix it.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Jun 302010

Losing engine oil after 1000 miles. Have to be a engine fault.

- Locust Grove, GA, USA

Jun 242015

I have recently experienced a severe oil loss in my 2007 Toyota Camry with 97000 miles. I have always completed timely scheduled oil changes and never have had an issue until two weeks ago. The Firestone dealer where I have my vehicle serviced determined I had a severe oil loss and can't locate where my oil leak is originating from. I have since learned Toyota has a service bulletin about this issue and the local Toyota service dealer has not returned my calls. In addition there was a class action lawsuit filed in spring 2014 for this issue with numerous Toyota models.

- Lantana, TX, USA

Mar 052014

Engine coils keep going bad had it replaced at the Toyota dealer and continues to fail. I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden as I pressed on the acceleration it would only reach 30 mph, and my car felt like it was going to shut off. I almost crashed due to that incident not to mention it continues happen. I can not afford that nor any harm to my children. The passenger side seat belt is locked, and unable to use. I had my power window also failed to work on some occasions I have to manually push it up. I so love my Toyota but there are also 8 other recall to which I can also relate to.

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Jul 032006

My car has been burning up oil since I have purchased it in 2006. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry and have been recently researching this excessive oil problem. I have had no letter from Toyota about it, but I see that the Toyota dealers have gotten a bulletin about this. When I actually noticed the problem it was because my car was making strange noises and I decided to check my fluid levels. My oil light never comes on to make me aware that my car is low on oil. Then I check the dipstick to see that it is dry!!! my car now has 154,000 miles on it and the problem is getting even worse. I have had to add a quart of oil ever 400 miles. This is not new to me since I buy oil constantly and check my dipstick every other day. I just recently called a Toyota dealer to get my car in for an oil consumption test and they told me that I need a copy of all my receipts from every oil change" I don't understand the reasoning behind that. Also I have made different dealers aware of my problem and I have even sent an email to the Toyota Corp. Now that there is a solution to the problem you have to be in the warranty period?!" I have had to also replace my cat and 4 months later my engine light comes on and it is reading the same cat code when I had it checked. I am wondering if the excessive oil burning is actually clogging my cats.

- Unionville, CT, USA

Jun 032013

Uses excessive oil - oil is low before it is time for scheduled oil change. When motor is put in reverse, the motor vibrates ( even the front seats). It vibrates and makes noises when driving or just idle.

- Marion, AL, USA

Mar 232015

Camry 4-cyl

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry SE and for the past several months I have been having issues with my car not starting if it is on unlevel ground. I assumed it was something in the gas I had recently purchased but that does not seem to be the case. If my car is parked on unlevel ground, I now have to place the gear in neutral and push the car to a level ground in order for it to start. I recently had it checked out by a mechanic and he told me that it had to be a sensor in the fuel pump causing my car to respond in one of two ways: 1) there was no gas in the tank or 2) the antitheft sensor was on and the car doesn't start if the vehicle has been stolen. I had a full tank at the time so option 1 was definitely not the case. This issue is continuous, is anyone else having this issue where your car won't start if you are on unlevel ground"?"...updated08/20/15 the consumer stated the manufacturer was contacted. Updated 11/27/15

- Maxton, NC, USA

May 132015

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the engine was consuming oil excessively. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was working up to specifications. The manufacturer was did not provide any additional assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Handover, MA, USA

Oct 092014

For many months I have been experiencing excessive oil consumption soon after car being serviced. Less than 2 weeks oil has depleted. Causing engine not to start or stop in the middle of traffic than can cause a major accident or a possible fire because no oil. Therefore affecting other parts of the car eventually. Toyota has released extended warranty and knew about this matter for a few years now. But are telling its customers they are working on putting part together to replace those parts at their expense. However, as customers, we have not received dates of when our vehicles will be fixed.

- Fort Washington, MD, USA