CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 4 of 10)

Mar 052014

Camry

Engine coils keep going bad had it replaced at the Toyota dealer and continues to fail. I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden as I pressed on the acceleration it would only reach 30 mph, and my car felt like it was going to shut off. I almost crashed due to that incident not to mention it continues happen. I can not afford that nor any harm to my children. The passenger side seat belt is locked, and unable to use. I had my power window also failed to work on some occasions I have to manually push it up. I so love my Toyota but there are also 8 other recall to which I can also relate to.

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Jul 032006

Camry

My car has been burning up oil since I have purchased it in 2006. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry and have been recently researching this excessive oil problem. I have had no letter from Toyota about it, but I see that the Toyota dealers have gotten a bulletin about this. When I actually noticed the problem it was because my car was making strange noises and I decided to check my fluid levels. My oil light never comes on to make me aware that my car is low on oil. Then I check the dipstick to see that it is dry!!! my car now has 154,000 miles on it and the problem is getting even worse. I have had to add a quart of oil ever 400 miles. This is not new to me since I buy oil constantly and check my dipstick every other day. I just recently called a Toyota dealer to get my car in for an oil consumption test and they told me that I need a copy of all my receipts from every oil change" I don't understand the reasoning behind that. Also I have made different dealers aware of my problem and I have even sent an email to the Toyota Corp. Now that there is a solution to the problem you have to be in the warranty period?!" I have had to also replace my cat and 4 months later my engine light comes on and it is reading the same cat code when I had it checked. I am wondering if the excessive oil burning is actually clogging my cats.

- Unionville, CT, USA

Jun 032013

Camry

Uses excessive oil - oil is low before it is time for scheduled oil change. When motor is put in reverse, the motor vibrates ( even the front seats). It vibrates and makes noises when driving or just idle.

- Marion, AL, USA

Mar 232015

Camry 4-cyl

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry SE and for the past several months I have been having issues with my car not starting if it is on unlevel ground. I assumed it was something in the gas I had recently purchased but that does not seem to be the case. If my car is parked on unlevel ground, I now have to place the gear in neutral and push the car to a level ground in order for it to start. I recently had it checked out by a mechanic and he told me that it had to be a sensor in the fuel pump causing my car to respond in one of two ways: 1) there was no gas in the tank or 2) the antitheft sensor was on and the car doesn't start if the vehicle has been stolen. I had a full tank at the time so option 1 was definitely not the case. This issue is continuous, is anyone else having this issue where your car won't start if you are on unlevel ground"?"...updated08/20/15 the consumer stated the manufacturer was contacted. Updated 11/27/15

- Maxton, NC, USA

May 132015

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the engine was consuming oil excessively. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was working up to specifications. The manufacturer was did not provide any additional assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Handover, MA, USA

Oct 092014

Camry

For many months I have been experiencing excessive oil consumption soon after car being serviced. Less than 2 weeks oil has depleted. Causing engine not to start or stop in the middle of traffic than can cause a major accident or a possible fire because no oil. Therefore affecting other parts of the car eventually. Toyota has released extended warranty and knew about this matter for a few years now. But are telling its customers they are working on putting part together to replace those parts at their expense. However, as customers, we have not received dates of when our vehicles will be fixed.

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Oct 012009

Camry

I bought a used 2007 Camry from Toyota dealer. Shortly after I bought it, the engine oil light came on. So I immediately changed the oil. But every 1500 miles after the oil change, the engine light comes on. I told the dealer about this problem several times, but they keep on saying this is normal.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Apr 042012

Camry

Excessive oil consumption. Took vehicle into dealer with complaint of engine valve noise. Dealer said no way valve problems with their cars at that mileage. Left with $1800 in non-associated repairs. Noticed accelerating consumption of oil. Tried again to get a fix with PCV valve and all filters replaced. Constantly topping off with oil between regular oil changes. Wouldn't accept the fact that engine valve seals were defective. Not on a Toyota with less than 90,000 miles. Finally did a monitoring test a month ago and realized my car had consumed 4 quarts of oil in about 1600 miles. The fix cost me about $2000. Then I check this website only to find about 100 similar complaints on 2007 Toyota Camry's. totally unacceptable and Toyota's claim in my owner's manual that 1.1 qts per 600 miles is acceptable is ridiculous. I'm checking for participation in a class-action suit. They need to "fess up" to their design or manufacturing flaw if they ever want me back as a new-car customer again. Engines unexpectedly seizing up at interstate highway speeds can kill!

- James Island, SC, USA

Jan 152014

Camry 4-cyl

After every 1,000 I need to add a quart of oil. In between oil changes, every 4,000 miles, I need to add 4 quarts of oil. Where is this oil going? I don't have any oil on my drive way, garage floor, or anywhere else. I always take it to Toyota to get it serviced and they cannot tell me where it is going either. Dont understand what's going on. Toyota has no answers for me. I have had several Toyota Camry, but this is by far, my worse experience with a Toyota. Very dispointed and need this resolved soon!

- Bothell, WA, USA

Apr 212015

Camry

I was driving home from work, and as I was coming to a stop I heard a warning ding, looked down, and my dashboard read "low engine oil pressure." I found that warning odd considering I have only put 2,000 miles on my car since my last oil change, I have not noticed any oil leaks in my parking spot or under my car, and I had my transmission serviced four weeks ago and there was no mention of any leaks by the service technician. I pull into the walmart parking lot close by, check my oil, and oil levels are not registering on my dipstick. I quickly bought 2 quarts of the manufacturers recommended weight of oil, put them in, and went directly to my service station. The service station took me in immediately, completed their inspection, and they informed me that they cannot find any leaks anywhere. In addition, there are no bad smells, no smoke, no signs of oil burning, nothing. They recommended an oil change, which I did. The service station gave me a 50% discount on the service because it was only 2 months and 2,000 miles since I was last there for an oil change. The mechanic suggested that I keep a case of oil in my trunk, check the oil level once a week, and add oil as needed. I think this is a lot of oil consumption, and a lot of work for such a young vehicle. My car is a 2007 Toyota Camry xle 4 cylinder with 79,004 miles as of 21 April 2015.

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jun 072013

Camry 4-cyl

Excessive oil consumption between oil maintenance requirements.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Apr 082015

Camry

- 2007 Camry has been consuming unreal amount of engine oil. - I took it to the delearship; and they mentioned replacement of pistons will be covered under factory warranty but if the engine is damaged they will not cover it. At this point, I am not even sure the piston is not working as it was supposed to. - the car was bought brand new and the defect on engine was brought to our attention only a month ago in 2015.

- Burke, VA, USA

Mar 092015

Camry 4-cyl

We got a warranty enhancement on our Toyota which started to lose alot of oil we took to Toyota green in lexington ky they had on their report we done over 2196 miles when started the test. Which was completely wrong they said we only used 1/2 quart of oil so it was not losing enough oil emailed Toyota considers oil consumption excessive when it exceeds 1.1 quart per 600 miles. My husband has been checking since took writes down mileage when he checks it had little over 900 miles on it and we had lost almost a quart of oil it liked 1/8 being a full court. Of course they say it says it in the book what they can use. I have had exactly 4 Toyota and they have never done this. They told us that we can take back in 5000 miles or 6mo which ever comes first. This just does not sound right to me. My husband was not back there when they checked every think which next time he will be.their exact words they said when checked when they first checked it was slightly low added one qt of oil rechecked and it was little over. When it states in the book also never to put over the amount of oil in the car.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Nov 152013

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle decelerated and lost power. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle started to jerk. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer multiple times. The technician was unable to diagnose or repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Highland, CA, USA

Mar 172015

Camry

Got an oil changed and about 3 weeks after heard engine making a funny knocking and ticking sound. Looked under hood to check fluids and the oil was completely dry! had to fill it up w quarts of oil, and constantly dump oil into engine because it was burning up so rapidly every 2/3 weeks, mate nice light would come on indicating low oil, received a letter from Toyota indicating they have a problem w the car consuming engine oil to rapidly, confronted the local dealer ship of my issue N they insist I must pay out of pocket to repair engine which now is knocking very loudly N has no acceleration at $95 an hr then they can perform engine oil consumption test to determine if that was the reason for my failure! which I know is!!! I have researched it and found there is a class action lawsuit on Toyota dealing w this specific issue! how do I get my vehicle fixed with out having to pay for their engine failure and poor manufacturing?

- Warren, OH, USA

Feb 032015

Camry 4-cyl

The engine on this car have consumption two quarts oil every two thousand miles. And don't have any leaks.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jan 132015

Camry 4-cyl

This car has burned a quart of oil every 1000 miles for the past seven years. Recently received a tsb from Toyota on this issue and as instructed, took it into a Toyota dealership. I was shocked to learn from their staff that Toyota was considering replacing my engine if it did indeed burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I mean come on---the car has 180K miles on it. Never the less, I was impressed with the idea. They "sealed" the oil cap so no one could tamper with the oil level. They informed me that they had topped off the oil level. I put another 1200 miles on it and returned the car as instructed, to allow them to "perform a detailed test to determine if the engine was consuming a quart every 1000 miles. I checked the oil dipstick the morning I took the car back to Toyota. It was a full quart low on oil. Interesting, but Toyota performed their test and advised they would contact me. Did not happen. A month later I called the dealership and they informed me the ca had burned 7/8 of a quart and as it was less than a quart, I was basically sol. All said and done, I was not expecting a new engine. I was expecting to leave feeling I had been treated fairly and professionally. The net result is that I have made two totally unnecessary trips to the dealer just to be informed Toyota does not and will not do anything....becauset their test indicated the car failed to meet their criteria by 1/8 of a quart. Gee...it was aquart low when I took it in, but wait...(I must be an idiot and blind. You.think they pulled the dipstick out and kept looking at it until they saw what they wanted to see?? I had been considering purchasing another Toyota product but this experience has demonstrated to me why I should never consider Toyota. I liked their Camry, but they failed to appreciate my honesty and demonstrated a lack of impartial decision making. Adios amigo.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Camry 4-cyl

I am one of many complainants that have excess oil consumption with this car. I am using at least 1 quart every 1,000 miles.

- Ellington, CT, USA

Dec 192013

Camry

My 2007 Camry is consuming around 3 quarts between 3000miles oil change intervals. This consumption is quite high by any standard. My car has always been maintained in a timely manner. If we changed the oil every 5000 like the manual said I would have a car right now because it would have ceased up the engine. This makes me very unhappy and not very safe for me or my family. At this time we are not able to get a newer/different car.

- Tremont, IL, USA

Feb 032015

Camry 4-cyl

When I was driving the vehicle I noticed when I get to a certain speed the check engine light start to flash until I slow down or the vehicle won't move until I park it turn it off for a few minutes and then turn it back on. So I took it to the dealership and they told me I need a new engine.

- Peoria, IL, USA