CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 4 of 19)

Aug 162013

Camry 4-cyl

About two days ago, I was driving and my instrument panel started doing some crazy stuff. The brake light and ABS light came on, and my temp gauge, RPM, and odometer started fluctuating. This lasted about 30-45 seconds the first time. Since then it happens intermittently every time IM driving and it lasts a couple of minutes each time. I was already scheduled to go in for an oil change today, so I had the service department at my local dealer check out this problem also. The tech first quoted a $53 diagnostic fee, but called me back a couple of hours later to say that they need a more extensive diagnostic process, which would increase the fee to $99. She also said that I needed brakes and a battery ($202 front brakes+$118 battery+$89 brake fluid replace). About an hour later, she called me back and gave me the devastating news that my ABS actuator/skid control computer needed to be replaced. The cost was $1686 for the part, and the total with labor would be $2035. This did not include my $40 oil change, battery, and breaks. Nevertheless, I opted to wait on the $2000 ABS issue. I went to pick up my car and was actually charged $148 for the diagnostic fee. Essentially, I paid $199 for an oil change and for them to diagnose a problem that they already knew to be a common Camry problem. I would have never purchased a Toyota if I had known that this was a common problem. Also this is a Toyota specific part, so it's not like you can shop around for a deal. I have to pay this ridiculous amount of money because I don't want my children riding in an unsafe car. I'm so disgusted right now.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Aug 072013

Camry

Vsc warning on dash, check engine light, traction control light, and general warning (triangle with exclamation). Acceleration seemed stiffer than normal, thought smelled something burning. At dealer for diagnostics. Have reported need to replace transmission computer ($872.09 total) and possibly the engine computer (trans. + engine = $2233.35 total). 2007 Camry xle, approx. 64,000 mi. Purchased 10/18/2006. There have been at least three recalls for the 2007 Camry line. Should these repairs be covered by Toyota" should I have the car evaluated by transmission specialist, such as aamco"

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Feb 232012

Camry 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry.. I have had my recalls fixed. But now it is doing the same thing again.. the other day my brakes would not hold I thought I was going to hit the car in the front of me and my child was in the car with me... then when I start to take off it sounds like that it is trying to go into gear. And it revs up and I have took it in to dealership and they cant seem to find out what is wrong with it and of course I am at the end of my warranty. The other day it would barley pull up a hill.

- Dahlonega, GA, USA

Jul 262013

Camry 4-cyl Diesel

While driving at speed 45 coming to brake car slides before braking its like the care doesn't want to stop and speedup I had the car for only 3 months I don't know what to do about the situation autojocks middlebury ct only gave me a 60 day war this vehicle I need to know what to do.this vehicle does not appear to be safe.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Mar 142007

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while at a stop, the engine rpms increased excessively as the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 800 and the current mileage was 35,000.

- Cerritos, CA, USA

Jul 162013

Camry 4-cyl

Back during the recall I had my car serviced at the Toyota station (2010) for the accelerator issue they were having. I am still having this problem. The difference I can still fee the engine revving up and the car feels as if it is going to take off however the car stays the same speed. Basically when the engine revs up I am not able to hit the gas or break. It's like the car has a mind of it's own and within about 20 seconds of it revving up then you can feel it literally let stop revving up and I have control again of the speed.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Apr 082013

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated to 110 mph. The contact shifted into neutral and the vehicle decelerated to 45 mph. The contact then shifted into park and the vehicle was brought to a stop. The contact stated that by shifting into park, the engine was destroyed. The contact sustained injuries to the hands and knee from gripping the steering wheel and trying to stop the vehicle by abruptly applying the brakes. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for diagnostics and was advised that the dealer could not determine a failure. A Toyota specialist also inspected the vehicle and also was unable to determine a failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Harrogate , TN, USA

Jul 012013

Camry 4-cyl

The engine was making a rattling noise, especially at start up and acceleration. I took the car to the dealer and was informed that the engine needs to be replaced and that the car is unsafe to drive, as the engine might seize up. Fortunately, I caught it before that happened. Toyota has a service bulletin out on this issue T-sb-0094-11; they knew there is a problem but never notified vehicle owners and the local dealer never performed the inspection test called for in the bulletin. In addition, there have been a number of complaints filed on this with NHTSA and hundreds more posted on the internet. There are two safety issues: Engine failure while driving and Toyota's disregard for safety, by not informing owners of the issue.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Apr 052013

Camry

My 2007 Toyota Camry is experiencing electrical problems. The speedometer goes to zero, the brake light and ABS light comes on and the gauges go haywire. The problem last for a few minutes at a time. This is dangerous as I can't tell how fast I'm driving. The tire pressure light stays on as well. No codes come up in the diagnostic testing. I have taken it to several mechanics and I've spent lots of time and money to find out what's wrong to no avail. I don't think I'll never buy another Toyota. It's funny the problem began as I am about to make the last payment.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Dec 102010

Camry

At 59,000 miles, the check vs system light came on, as well as check engine light. I took the car to the Toyota dealer. At the time, I still had the extended warranty. They replaced "bank 2" ignition coil and charged me $100 deductible. At 70,528 miles the exact same thing happened. Check vsc system and check engine light came on. At the time, still under extended warranty. It was diagnosed with bad # 6 coil. They charged me the $100 deductible. At 90,000 miles (now) the exact same symptoms. I am assuming it is another bad ignition coil. There should be a recall on the 2007 Camry's ignition coils. I cannot afford to keep replacing ignition coils by a Toyota dealership, especially now that my car is not under the extended warranty. I also had Toyota replace clips on the air bag cover on passenger side in 2008. The part still sags. It is defective. It is in the Toyota dealership computer system that I brought it in at least twice for the sagging air bag cover. The new clips did not fix it.

- Fairview, TN, USA

Nov 262012

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact's wife stated that while applying the brakes, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into two other vehicles. The vehicle still had not stopped and proceeded to crash into the curb, sidewalk and finally a guard rail. A police report was filed of the incident. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the vehicle was taken to a local auto body repair shop where an engineer that was sent by the manufacturer inspected the vehicle. The engineer advised that the vehicle was operating as designed. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 26,134....updated 07-15-13 updated 07/19/2013

- Seeding Hills , MA, USA

Apr 182013

Camry 6-cyl

I was slowly pulling into the parking space on my right in a private parking lot. With my right foot on the brake, almost totally in the parking space, all of a sudden my vehicle lunged forward on its own -- while my steering wheel was in a very slight right turn motion the car hit the light pole to my right of the parking space. The vehicle continued to accelerate as it rested on the light pole. With my foot still on the brake I shifted out of drive, into reverse, then into park and turned the ignition off.

- Royersford, PA, USA

Mar 302013

Camry

When driving on the no 1 lane (by the carpool lane), an SUV crossed the double yellow lines and rear ended my left side at approximate 40mph. My passengers were shaken up while I was taken to the er. I did noticed that my airbags did not deploy. After the accident I did some searching and came to find out that airbags for this particular model do not deploy!!! not to mentioned that prior to this finding, I had taken my car back to the dealer for an accelerator issue. Also pending is the sun visor recall as well.

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Jan 242013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while braking to a stop, the vehicle suddenly accelerated on its own. The contact applied the brake constantly in order to stop the vehicle. On the second recurrence of the failure, the contact had to turn the engine off to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed, but the technician was unable to generate a failure code. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 85,000. Updated 7/22/13

- Pleasant Hill, IA, USA

Jan 272013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly accelerate without any warnings. The contact mentioned that the only way she could stop the vehicle was by turning off the engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 83,500 and the current mileage was 83,700.

- Pleasant Hill, IA, USA

Dec 182012

Camry 4-cyl

Vehicle started from parked condition. As operator tapped the gas pedal lightly to take it out of parked condition, the vehicle suddenly had a very high speed causing loss of control and the vehicle hit a house. Apparently it caused a open throttle condition. Pressing brake only aggravated the condition (adding more speed). This happened with an experienced driver with over 10 years of driving record and 0 incident (not even a parking ticket). All earlier recall were done by dealer.

- Belmont, MA, USA

Oct 042012

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that she attempted to stop at a stop sign and the vehicle accelerated independently. The contact applied the brake but it became stuck and she was unable to bring the vehicle to a stop safely. The vehicle eventually crashed into a tree and the vehicle was destroyed. The contact suffered neck pain and was taken to the emergency room. The manufacturer was notified and inspectors were dispatched to diagnosis the failure. The contact was still awaiting the results of the investigation. One month after the crash the contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number: 10V017000 (vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal). The manufacturer was contact but they offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was 85,000.

- Fresno, TX, USA

Nov 272007

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate from a stop the vehicle accelerated with more power than was applied. The vehicle was able to be driven to the dealer where it was confirmed that the accelerator pedal had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred several times after the repairs were completed. The failure mileage was not available and the current mileage was 28,579.

- Fallston, MD, USA

Oct 162012

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while parking, the vehicle accelerated without warning and crashed into a tree. The contact was not injured during the crash. The vehicle was shut off and once the contact restarted and shifted into reverse, the failure recurred as the vehicle rapidly accelrated backward. The contact then crashed into a parked vehicle. The passenger in the other vehicle sustained a back injury as a result of the crash. The contact stated the brakes were applied when the vehicle accelerated. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Irvington, NJ, USA

Aug 112011

Camry 4-cyl

Driver's side sun visor broke for no apparent reason. Defective part. I used to own a 1997 Toyota Camry and drove over 200,000 miles and the sun visor was fine. I was searching on the web to find a replacement part but instead found a website that other people have posted having same problem with this defective part. www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5th-6th-generation-2002-2006-2007-2011/343284-2007-Camry-sun-visor-problem-2.html additionally, I received a letter from Toyota regarding a recall about the accelerator problem and tried to set up an appointment through an email with courtesy Toyota service center and they did not respond to my inquiry nor willing to set up an appointment to cure the recall issue. Courtesy Toyota 9210 adamo drive tampa, fl 33619

- Riverview, FL, USA