CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 5 of 19)

Jun 282012

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving 40 mph when the visor continued falling and would not remain closed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was 117,000.

- La Mirada , CA, USA

May 032012

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while driving 50 mph, the engine exhibited a loud, unusual noise as the engine rpms increased. The vehicle then abnormally accelerated to 80 mph. The brakes were applied and the contact lost control of the vehicle, spinning several times in the midst of traffic. The contact shut the engine completely off in order to stop the failure. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed but did not generate a failure code. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and the current mileage was 66,000. The VIN was not available.

- San Isidro , CA, USA

Jan 022012

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving into a parking area, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and jumped a curb. The vehicle came to a stop when it crashed into a tree. The contact suffered injuries to the breast and neck. The vehicle was then towed to a local body shop and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact also stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaidn id number 09V388000 (vehicle speed control:accelerator pedal). The failure and current mileages were 42,000.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jul 042011

Camry 4-cyl

I was driving on the turnpike with my cruise control set at 75 mph when my car began "racing" into overdrive. It did this for a few seconds then stopped, a few minutes later the engine raced again. About. That time another car pulled up next to me to tell me my car was on fire(smoking). I pulled off the interstate and had to have my car towed. Toyota finally agreed to replace the engine but I am having same problems with new engine and I was charged $1800 to get an extended warranty on the new engine.

- Okla. City, OK, USA

Aug 292011

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving approximately 15 mph attempting to make a turn and while the brakes were engaged there was an unexpected acceleration causing the contact to crash into another vehicle. There were no injuries. A police report was filed. The front end of the vehicle sustained damages. The contact planned to take the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test and to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Greensville, NC, USA

Aug 252011

Camry 4-cyl

Sudden unintended acceleration on August 25th 2011 at approximately 1:00 pm, my dad was driving to garvey ranch park located at (781 S orange ave, monterey park, ca 91755) as part of his daily routine. He had already pulled into the parking lot and was getting ready to park his car facing North bound. All of a sudden the car accelerated out of nowhere and hoped the parking curb still facing northbound. In order to avoid any casualties and prevent hitting any of the children near the playground, he was able to steer the car and made a U-turn at about 150 degrees. At this point he was facing South bound of the parking lot and the car continued to accelerate at high speeds. His car then hopped the curb on the South side of the parking lot. Once the car hopped the parking curb on the South side, it continued to hop over a couple of raised concrete blocks that delineate a path onto the hillside just South of the parking lot. Due to the steepness of the hill, it prevented the car from going any further and the car crashed in between two trees located on the hillside. We had already taken the car to longo Toyota due to the acceleration recall back on March 13 2010. I couldn't believe the car still had mechanical issues after we had it serviced it for the recall and was glad that my dad did not sustain a very serious injury. The car is available for inspection if an NHTSA official would like to inspect the car.

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Aug 052011

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while attempting to park, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure and advised that the failure could have been caused by the floor mats. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 34,715.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Jul 042011

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while moving slowly in traffic at 1 mph, the vehicle RPM increased excessively. He started to depress the brake pedal firmly so that the vehicle would not acclerate. The RPM started to slowly decrease. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that they could not find any problems with the vehicle speed control, and all fixes were in place for all the recalls that pertains to the vehicle. They informed him that they put a brake to idle fix in, so as soon as the vehicle RPM increased, he could depress the brake and the vehicle would go to idle. This fix did not work. The manufacturer was contacted and a claim was file. A representative would be sent out to thouroughly inspect his vehicle. The failure mileage was 29,000. When the consumer put his his foot on the brake, he noticed the vehicle was moving forward. The consumer had to apply the brake harder. Updated 09/12/11

- Waltham, MA, USA

May 292011

Camry

I was parking my 2007 Toyota Camry behind a Jeep wagoneer that was headed forward in a parking lot. I was almost at the stopping point with my foot on the brake and within a foot or so of stopping, when my car suddenly lurched forward with extreme force, pushing the Jeep wagoneer about 8-10 feet forward. My car continued accelerating and the passenger side of my car severely crashed against the side of the SUV that was parked next to the Jeep wagoneer. My car finally came to rest. My 2007 Toyota Camry was part of the recall in 2010 and I had my car in for the recall repair in Feb. 2010. Prior to hearing anything about Toyota's sudden acceleration problems, I had a similar experience with the same vehicle around mid-2009 (uncertain of date). At that time, I was again turning slowly into a parking space and almost at the stopping position when the car roared forward, jumping the curb of the parking lot and going towards the right on a grassy knoll. There were no injuries nor any car damage, so I did not report it and did not understand the cause of the incident until I began learning of Toyota's sudden acceleration problems.

- Battle Ground, IN, USA

Jan 072011

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while driving the steering wheel locked, and the drivers side axle broke; as a result the vehicle crashed into a tree. A police report was filed. The passenger suffered minor injuries. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic who declared that the vehicle was destroyed. A report was filed with the manufacturer who decided to investigate what caused the failure to occur. The manufacturer was unable to determine the cause of failure. The vehicle identification number was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 49,000. The consumer stated the vehicle suddenly accelerated, the steering locked and the vehicle veered to the left, went off the road and hit a tree. Updated 01/23/12

- Richmond , VA, USA

Apr 012011

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact stated that the vehicle would violently jerk and suddenly accelerate without warning. The vehicle would also shift gears independently between second and fourth gears. When the failure would occur, the engine would exhibit an abnormal increase in rpms and would fluctuate back and forth. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where she was informed that she would need to replace the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Stafford, TX, USA

Mar 012011

Camry 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Camry. Consumer states disturbing hesitation when accelerating from a stop or at about 18-20 mph. The consumer stated if the accelerator was pushed all the way to the floor, there was still a delay, followed by an alarming surge. The consumer has since sold the vehicle back to the dealer.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Feb 222011

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving in a parking lot approximately 5 mph, the brake pedal was engaged and there was an unexpected acceleration. The brakes were applied with force repeatedly; yet, the vehicle failed to slow down causing it to crash into a brick building. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact suffered a minor whiplash injury; and sustained bruises on the right foot. A police report was not filed. The vehicle sustained substantial damage to the front end. There was also minor damage to the building. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and to be repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the malfunction. The failure mileage was approximately 38,000.

- Gulf Shores, AL, USA

Dec 312010

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated; the vehicle spun around and hit a concrete median. The side air bags did not deploy. The contact had several bruises. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The contact called the manufacturer who took a complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000.

- Durham, NC, USA

Nov 282009

Camry 4-cyl

I purchase two vehicle from Toyota lakeside in new orleans, la. One being a 2007 Camry the other was 2007 Tundra both vehicle was call for a recall. After the Camry was recall the vehicle was not performing the it was before the recall I brought the car back to Toyota lakeside and they could not find the problem @ the time the vehicle was still under warranty. I brought it back again and told them the car was hesitating and not accelerating some times still they said they can not find nothing. Now my Camry is 300 miles over its warranty and the car want accelerate at all it want go pass 10miles an hour. I feel like Toyota should pay for my vehicle to get fix because I brought this to them twice. Now me and my wife has one car trying to go in two different direction. Please help?

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Sep 012007

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that when decelerating the vehicle would speed up before coming to a complete stop and when accelerating the vehicle would slow down. The failure occurred on an intermittent basis for approximately 3 1/2 years. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer who informed the contact that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The throttle body was replaced a year prior, but the failure continued to occur. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 5,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Nov 172010

Camry

I was stopped at a red light, my foot was on the brake and all of a sudden the engine revved up and the car started creeping forward. On the 23rd of November I was backing out of my driveway (I live on kind a busy road) the same thing happened the engine revved up and it creeped into the road. Luckily there was no traffic coming on my side of the road. I then put it in park and then into drive and pulled back into the driveway as cars started coming. I was scared as I had no control at stopping the car. After talking to my step-daughter she said it had happened to her twice. I took it in and they ran the computer test and said everything showed it was fine. They told me if it happened again to call so they can document this. I did have that recall done also. This just isn't right and I fear something worse will happen.

- Erie, PA, USA

May 242010

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry le. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The dealer could not diagnose the problem. The contact called the manufacturer who offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current mileage was approximately 54,000. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 192010

Camry

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry. In September 2010, I was involved in an automobile accident as a result of a mechanical defect and/or failure of systems in the vehicle. The accident was not the result of human error. Upon my approaching a parking space, the car lunged and suddenly accelerated. The car crashed into a building, resulting in property damage. There were no personal injuries. I filed a claim with Toyota. I requested inspections of the vehicle from not only Toyota, but also from my insurance company. Toyota denied responsibility based on the erroneous information from the computer "black box." The body work on my car was just completed. I no longer have confidence in the safety of my car. I fear that the vehicle could malfunction again, resulting in a worse scenario than the accident in September 2010. Before more fatalities, injuries or property damages occur as the result of mechanical defects and/or failure of systems in Toyota vehicles, the NHTSA should thoroughly investigate any and all claims against Toyota vehicles that have a history of problems. Toyota should be held accountable. I have requested that my car be replaced by Toyota. I don't doubt how Toyota will respond to my request. They will hold true in their denial of responsibility.

- Paso Robles, CA, USA

Jun 222007

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry le. While stopped at a red light the contact engaged the accelerator pedal and nothing happened then the vehicle surged. The contact stated that the vehicle stopped accelerating on its own. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who stated that there was a glitch in the computer and not to be concerned. The contact referenced recall 09V388000, vehicle speed control:accelerator pedal and the recall work was performed in 2009. He also referenced recall 10V017000, vehicle speed control:accelerator pedal and stated that recall work was performed on February 16, 2010. The acceleration failure occurred intermittently and when it started accelerating the vehicle leveled out on its own. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 150 and the current mileage was 37,013. Updated 1/19/2011 the consumer and his wife experienced sudden acceleration on four occassions. Updated 03/28/11

- Greer, SC, USA