CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Nov 012015

Camry

My problem is that I cannot back-up using the gear shifter as it's supposed to be used. The mechanic removed the little panel in the front of the gear handle, allowing me to press it manually.I was told it could not be fixed (by him) unless it was happening then. Which it was not doing at the time I took it to him. You see, it happens intermittently. Sometimes the gear shifter will kick in after I press the brake, and sometimes it will not kick in and that's when I have to push the switch mannually. I am concerned that it will never be able to be fixed because it is an intermittent occurrence.

- Brockton, MA, USA

May 142014

Camry

Sticky, shiny and cracked dashboard. The dashboard is melting and is so shiny that I can not see because the glare. This is very dangerous.

- Weston, FL, USA

Jul 292015

Camry

Dash board is very sticky and reflects on to the wind shiledduring day time- an extreme hazard becasue I can't see thru sometimes. Toyota has a warranty enhnacement on it, dealer ordered a replacement back on 07/29/2015 and totyota has not fulfilled the order yet. With summer coming, it'll be bright & sunny and a hazard again. Any way to expedite that replacement part from totyota. Please help.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Dec 042015

Camry

Toyota recall: I took my 2007 Toyota Camry to the local Toyota dealership for the recall. They had a 3 phase test and it used a quart of oil after 1000 miles, but I had to bring it in a third time, then they said I failed the test as I went over the mileage for the 3rd visit. I called Toyota and they let me file a complaint but also said I failed to meet the qualifications as I went over the mileage even though it had already used a quart of oil the after 1000 miles. I asked for the specific requirements and they were vague and stated the dealership made the determination around Toyota's guidelines. I took it again for the last and final oil recall and they then said I went over the mileage for the oil recall test the second time (1700 miles) that it was a bit low and they topped it off as a curtesy, but I was no longer eligible for the recall. Today after 3000 miles from my last oil change and their topping it off the oil was down 4 quarts of oil. I feel that that Toyota is making this difficult so that a consumer fails the recall and they do not have to fix the pistons on the engine.

- Indiana, PA, USA

Jun 012014

Camry

My dashboard is melting and cracking. Pieces are starting to fall off. Not sure how this may affect inside electrical components as they may be exposed throgh the cracks. In casa of an accident the dasboard may crumble and pieces may cause body damage to face and eyes. Toyota knows of this problem but in taking to much time to make repairs. In fact no repairs have been done in my local dealer to any of the afected units due to lack of parts. This has been going on for about a year.

- Carolina, PR, USA

Aug 012013

Camry

The dashboard on my 2007 Toyota Camry is melting and is very sticky, especially during the summer months I have read several posts regarding this very same issue and notice that no one has had this issue corrected by Toyota for free, obviously this is a vehicle manufacture defect that Toyota needs to deal with before someone gets hurt. I purchased a Toyota vehicle because of the reputation on quality & customer service, but until now I've not seen either of these. Toyota needs to stand behind their product & make it right for all affected consumers. It is not possible to clean dashboard at all. Everything sticks to it and if you touch it with your finger nail-sticky chunks come out..... the glare is awful and since both of my visors have broken off I cant use those to help...

- Fort Myers Beach, FL, USA

Oct 092015

Camry

The car will be running perfect and out of no where my car will start decelerating. It will still lose speed even as I have the gas pedal all the way to the floor. I went from 60mph to 15mph with the pedal all the way to the floor. Finally it will start gaining speed but my RPM's hit 6-7 and almost max out. I was on a highway with a semi truck right behind me as this happened causing him to almost hit me. It was hooked up to a diagnostic check and no errors or problems popped up at all. This concerns me because no one can figure out the problem.

- Continental, OH, USA

Jun 272015

Camry

I was trying to back out of an extended parking area at church, a grassy area with pebbles. So, I was backing out very carefully so as to not hit the row of cars parked behind me. Suddenly as I was backing out, the Toyota began to move backwards very fast with a loud roar (racecar sound). While in a state of terror I had to wrestle the Toyota away from the other parked cars as much as I could and keep trying to push the brake pedal down, but the brake pedal wouldn't move. The Toyota struck a red car that dragged through the driver's side, from the front of the Toyota to the end of the Toyota. Still wrestling with the wheel of the Toyota, I ended up slamming backwards into an 8T ft. Chain link fence, on the church property. My foot still on the brake, as the Toyota slams into the fence, the Toyota then stopped. Break and accelerator pedal returned to what felt like a normal position. I then pulled the Toyota up and away from the fence and out a bit away from the row of cars, so that I could get out of the Toyota. Then I asked the young man who watched it all, if he would go get the owner of the car I had damaged.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Jun 272015

Camry

I was trying to back out of an extended parking area at church, a grassy area with pebbles. So, I was backing out very carefully so as not to hit the row of cars parked behind me. Suddenly as I was backing out, the Toyota began to move backwards very fast with a loud roar (racecar sound). While in a state of terror I had to wrestle the Toyota away from the other parked cars as much as I could and keep trying to push the brake pedal down, but the brake pedal wouldn't move. The Toyota struck the back of a red car that dragged through the driver's side, from the front of the Toyota to the end of the Toyota. Still wrestling with the wheel of the Toyota, I ended up slamming backwards into an 8ft. Chain link fence, on the church property. My foot still on the brake, as the Toyota slams into the fence. The Toyota then stopped. Break and accelerator pedal returned to what felt like a normal position. I pulled the Toyota up and away from the fence and out a bit away from the row of cars, so that I could get out of the Toyota. I then asked the young man who watched it all, if he would go get the owner of the car I had damaged.

- Moun Tjuliet, TN, USA

Jan 012014

Camry

I bought my car new in palm desert California in 2007. In November 2013, I moved to pinellas park Florida and my dashboard became very sticky. It has progressively gotten worse in the last year. I have since found out that this is due to a defect in the actual dashboard. The dash board is melting. I want to have it replaced. My car has under 45,000 miles on it. It is in beautiful condition. How do I go about making Toyota responsible for the replacement of the dashboard?

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Aug 292015

Camry

Rear window shattered for no reason. Can not find or see any place on the window which might have been hit with a stone beebee or paint ball. No obvious point of failure.

- Etters, PA, USA

Jun 012015

Camry

In my 2007 Toyota Camry the dashboard is melting, because of it the dashboard is covered with sticky shine substance. The substance gives of a strong glare while driving. Also the dashboard is becoming brittle.

- Hazlehurst, MS, USA

May 152015

Camry

The primary safety concerns regarding my complaint are a malfunctioning speedometer and a malfunctioning anti-lock braking system; however, there are others, which I will describe. While I was driving home, the instrument panel went completely crazy. Specifically, the speedometer went to zero (as I was driving 40mph) the tachometer started bouncing up and down between 0 and 2 or 3, the brake and ABS light came on. Then, everything went back to normal before I could pull over. I soon realized additional problems like the temp gauge going limp and the air conditioner blowing hot air along with other things. All of this happened all together but on and off at random intervals. I did some research, which led me to the ABS issue. According to others with the same problem the repair is $2K-$3K and many had stories of dealers making various costly repairs that didnT fix the problem. I work for minimum wage, this is my only car, and it is 110 degrees in my town. Driving without air conditioning here is a safety hazard. One person suggested unplugging the faulty ABS module to regain air conditioning. When I did this the air conditioning did in fact start working along with the tachometer and temp gauge. The speedometer, odometer, and seat belt alarm still do not work. Furthermore, this is no longer intermittent but constant and the brake light, ABS light, and check engine light all remain on. An ABS malfunction could be disastrous in wet weather. The lack of a speedometer is a safety problem on city roads for obvious reasons and not to forget the seat belt alarm or the odometer, which no longer logs the mileage. My 2007 Camry had low miles for its age (<70K) when these problems first occurred; the car has been garaged and well maintained. I have read many other complaints from those with the very same problems and it seems like a faulty product is to blame.

- Bermuda Dunes, CA, USA

Jul 282015

Camry

When driving came up the ABS, brake and engine lights. When I check with a Toyota dealer, they informed that the problem is the actuator assy brake (cost of $2,251.44 installed). Looking for information about the danger of the situation found that the Camry hybrid 2007 had this same problem and Toyota agreed to extend a 10 year guarantee or 150K miles until 2017. The cost of the repair is not viable for me now, and cannot use the car, given the safety issues involved.

- Rio Grande,, PR, USA

Jun 012012

Camry

The dashboard has become sticky and glossy, which puts a glare onto the windshield. This makes it difficult to see on a sunny day. Part of dashboard came off when a bug got stuck to the dashboard and was removed while cleaning vehicle. Saw many reports of this and talk of a recall, but no recalls show up when I enter my information on the car.

- Covington, LA, USA

Jul 142015

Camry

The driver's side sun visor fell down and had to be removed because it was obstructing my view. I was not driving when this happened and no one was in my vehicle.

- Covington, LA, USA

Jul 152015

Camry

4T1be46K07U678126 my 2007 Toyota Camry le four door automatic sedan has intermittent erratic problems with the instrument control panel: The ABS and emergency brake lights come on and the tachometer, thermometer and other gauges bounce up and down the events last for a few seconds to ten minutes, episodes occur sporadically and the car continues to drive normally during the events. I called Toyota (800) 331-4331 and asked for a warranty extension to repair the problem, denied by Toyota. I was instructed to take it to a dealer to identify the problem. On July 1, 2015, central Florida Toyota in orlando, Florida tried to charge me $59, I refused to pay and they eventually proceeded to determine the problem without charge. The repair estimate given to me says, "$2,217.05 for ABS actuator assy., R&R.? the mechanic said this is serious; the brakes can lock up while I am driving. There are numerous identical complaints on the internet but Toyota corporate said this problem is not subject to a recall or a reported problem. (just google, "2007 Toyota Camry ABS and brake light on". consumer complainants allege that the Bosch ABS ECU has a flaw in circuit board design.) this is very expensive problem and so common as to indicate that it is a manufacturer's defect and should be repaired free by Toyota. I am the original owner. Updated 9/15/15 updated 09/17/15

Jun 292015

Camry

My 2007 Toyota Camry le four door automatic sedan has intermittent erratic problems with the instrument control panel: The ABS and emergency brake lights come on and the tachometer, thermometer and other gauges bounce up and down this problem started two days ago, the events last for a few seconds to ten minutes, episodes occur sporadically and the car continues to drive normally during the events. I called Toyota (800) 331-4331 and asked for a warranty extension to repair the problem. I was instructed to take it to a dealer to identify the problem. On July 1, 2015, central Florida Toyota in orlando, Florida tried to charge me $59, I refused to pay and they eventually proceeded to determine the problem without charge. The repair estimate given to me says, "$2,217.05 for ABS actuator assy., R&R." the mechanic said this is serious; the brakes can lock up while I am driving. There are numerous identical complaints on the internet but Toyota corporate said this problem is not subject to a recall or a reported problem. (just google, "2007 Toyota Camry ABS and brake light on". consumer complainants allege that the Bosch ABS ECU has a flaw in circuit board design.) this is very expensive problem and so common as to indicate that it is a manufacturer's defect and should be repaired free by Toyota. I am the original owner. See sample web sites regarding the exact problem: www.camryforums.com/forum/general-tech-8/2007-Camry-instrumentation-ghost-39934/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=rdtgabjrfds

Jun 292015

Aug 012012

Camry

My 2007 Toyota Camry dashboard is sticky and melting- it needs to be replaced.

- Miami, FL, USA