CarComplaints.com Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2008 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jan 212010

Camry

Toyota's failure to remedy the sticky accelerator problem at a reasonable time.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Nov 182009

Camry

I own a Toyota Camry 2008 and I notice my cruise control come on sometimes as I start the ignition to start driving. I know where the cruise control is located and I don't touch it. I am a little worried since I am hearing about electrical problems with the Toyota Camry and other models of Toyota. This keeps happening. Please help.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Jan 092009

Camry

I was dropping my children off at school when my Camry went forward and I was unable to brake and my car went directly into a fire hydrant approximately 20 feet away. I was driving at a very slow rate of speed as I approached to turn a corner but the car accelerated straight ahead into the hydrant. I dislocated part of my foot because I was pressing on the brake as hard as I could to stop the car but it would not stop. It was as if I had no control over the car. The brakes and/or anti-lock brakes did not do anything. The anti-lock brakes did not activate. We had the car repaired at our expense but were not aware of the recall at that time and did not have the accelerator looked at. I was told at our last maintenance appointment that the floor mat in my car was secured but that the car would be recalled. I believe it was reported to the police when I was taken to the emergency room but I do not know if they made a report.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Oct 102008

Camry

Fyi: My 2008 Toyota Camry accelerated rapidly many times when it was a new car, as were the brakes! this started within a week of my purchasing the car new. I immediately took it to dealership and was told not to worry as the computer system was just learning my driving habits.

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Oct 202009

Camry

Driving through town in my '08 Camry at roughly 35-40 mph. I released my foot off the accelerator, and noticed that my car was not slowing down. I did not have the cruise on... normally when I release my foot off the gas, the speed decreases quite rapidly. I thought nothing of it, and let it cruise, at the same speed, for about one mile, until I approached a stop sign. I pressed the brake, and everything seemed normal after that. Since that, this has happened a few different times, and when telling the local Toyota employee, she said that she has "never heard of this problem, but can get me in to replace the accelerator in a few weeks for the most recent recall..."

- Breckenridge, MN, USA

Feb 092010

Camry

Toyota safety recall for floor mat repaired by Toyota san diego. Gas pedal was cut down per Toyota specs. Upon leaving Toyota san diego twice within a fifteen min period my foot became trapped under gas pedal. Due to the wet conditions, when I accelerated the vehicle my foot was able to slip down the pedal which then sprung back trapping my foot underneath the pedal.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 082010

Camry

I purchased a 2008 Toyota Camry for my employer. I use the car for work, and frequently use the cruise control. When I first bought the car, I had problems with the cruise control, primarily climbing or descending hills (I commute along the taconic parkway in NY). If you set the car at 60mph, for example, the car would slow down to about 50mph when it was climbing, then suddenly down shift and accelerate very quickly, literally pinning you back in your seat. This would then cause the car to speed up to about 75mph before coasting. But it would not slow down the car in any way until I either braked or the car started ascending another hill. When I had a chance, I took the car in to the local Toyota dealer and mentioned this to him. He admitted that Toyota had a "service bulliten" out to update the software as there were some flaws in the programming. When I questioned why it wasn't a fleet wide recall, he said "we only have to do it when people complain about it". considering the wild extremes of the speeds that I was experiencing I found this comment to be extremely odd. However, after they did their fix, the car did improve as it doesn't accelerate wildly like it used to. But even today as I was driving the car back from baltimore, it still has a wide open range for it's cruise control that I think is not normal. I had the cruise set for 65mph today, and the car topped out at 80. + or - 15mph is way too far beyond an acceptable range. My civic controls the speed within a +-5mph range on the same route. The recent events in the news makes me wonder if there isn't a latent defect in either the sensors or the programming.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Jan 022009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The consumer stated while driving, the vehicle accelerated to full throttle, although he had barely depressed the accelerator pedal in an attempt to return to his original speed of 65 mph. The consumer stomped the brake, but the acceleration continued with the tires smoking for approximately 30 yards before he switch the gear to neutral. The consumer was continued to apply to the brake and pulled off to the shoulder. He turned off the vehicle and then examined the pedal and floor mat. The factory floor mat was in place and properly secured by the factory retainers. The mat was at the normal distance of approximately 1 1/2 inches from the gas pedal. The failure mileage was 6,000. Updated 3/4/2010 updated 05/17/10.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 182007

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. While driving 45 mph the vehicle accelerated to 120 mph. The contact could not control or stop the vehicle and accelerated through ten traffic lights, crashed into a pole, rolled over three times into the railroad tracks. The contact sustained major injuries and was transported to the hospital. Due to the severity of the injuries the contact is unable perform her daily functions. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report is available if needed. The vehicle was towed by the insurance company. A Toyota representative inspected the vehicle and could not find any defects in the accelerator pedal or determine the cause of the failure. The contact drove to Toyota headquarters and was advised to write a letter which he has not received a response to date. The failure mileage was 16,000.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Sep 232009

Camry

Sudden jerk and lost of acceleration especially when turning in 2007 Toyota Camry. Talked to dealer and Toyota customer service and was told that it is the design of the electronic control board issue, and nothing can be done to fix it.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Jun 092009

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 5 mph out of the driveway, the vehicle accelerated uncontrollably and crashed into a pole. The vehicle was destroyed and towed from the scene. The contact sustained injuries and was transported to the hospital. A police report is available if needed. The contact does not know what caused the failure to occur. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000

- Lodi, NJ, USA

Oct 012007

Camry

2008 Toyota hybrid Camry--from the date of purchase in October, 2007 I have experienced surging when I use cruise control and go up an incline or hill. I have accepted this as normal but now am wondering if I have a problem with my accelerator. My understanding is that the hybrid is not on the list of recalls. Can you check this out for me. I am also reminded that I had a defective tire replaced within the first year. Thank you.

- Mclean, VA, USA

Jan 292010

Camry

I purchased my 2008 Toyota Camry in November 2008. Instantly I noticed two things, one, how the car was slow when trying to merge to another lane. In fact, I almost caused a major accident, very scary to say the least. Secondly, I smelled fumes and I asked my uncle did he smell it and he said yes. In addition my uncle stated, "this is a new car you should not smell these fumes. You need to take this car back to the dealership!" I did, only to be told they did not smell anything and everything looked fine. In regards to the merging issue, I was told that it the newer models are now ran electronically and this is one of the drawbacks of these models, and that was it. I have never felt comfortable driving my car because it always felt like I had a flat tire. I have had three alignments, replaced my tires and the car still does not drive well. Now the recall regarding the brakes/floor mats has not been an issue for me but the slow return of the accelerator most definitely, and I noticed this before I heard about the 2nd recall. I took my car to the Toyota dealership on P'tree industrial in atlanta, ga on Friday, January 29th, to get my carbon air filter replaced and that is when I told them about my accelerator and I was told that it was not part of the recall issue. So the salesperson took some information down and said the parts have not come in yet, therefore, there is nothing we can do. If this was not part of the recall why tell me that the parts have not come in if I was not affected by it based on my concerns? so needless to say, I too, like most customers have my concerns. I have always trusted Toyota and now this. I pray nothing occurs with me and my family while Toyota decides what, when, and how to solve this major issue.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Sep 082007

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. She purchased the vehicle brand new in 2007. Within a week she advised the dealer that the vehicle performed as if it wanted to move faster than normal and when she was at a stop light it also surged forward. The dealer told her the vehicle was cold and needed to warm up prior to driving it. The dealer also turned the idle down and the vehicle continued to surge. The failure mileage was 500 and the current mileage was 16,000.

- Hopedale, MA, USA

Nov 212009

Accelerator pedal recall

- Port Washington, NY, USA

Jan 042009

Camry

Early janaury 2009 my Toyota Camry had a sudden acceleration incident that did not result in any injury but did result in a damage to my car and a claim with nationwide insurance. At the time I had no idea what happened it was like my car was possessed. I know it was not a floor mat issue. I contacted Toyota and they indicated that since I did not have my car repaired at their service center there would be no compensation.

- Fishers , IN, USA

Dec 062009

Camry

After dropping my sisters off at one of their homes, I pressed on the accelerator and the car took a mind of its own and began to increase speed and I could not get the car to stopeven after stepping on the brake and putting the car into park. The car hit a chain link fence and still the engine revved as if it were trying to get through the fence and then it finally stopped.

- Lima, OH, USA

Oct 252009

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. During slight application of the accelerator pedal at a stop sign, the vehicle aggressively accelerated forwards. She was able to decelerate, by removing her foot off of the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. She received Toyota floor mat recall in late November of 2009. She will contact the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 9,000. The current mileage was 10,000. The vehicle identification number was unavailable.

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Aug 062009

Camry

My mother was driving my 2008 Camry in August 2009. As she was parking the car she experienced a sudden acceleration which propelled the vehicle over a raised sidewalk and into the side of a retail building. The vehicle had 3000 miles on it and no modifications had been made since purchased new. There were floormats in the vehicle which may have contributed to the accident, but have since been removed. My mother says the vehicle is unsafe and refuses to drive it. No injuries were sustained, but properly damage to the vehicle was $1800 and damage to the building was $6700. Toyota has been contacted but denies any responsibility.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 192009

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The vehicle began to accelerate without application of the accelerator pedal. After great force was exerted onto the brake the vehicle stopped. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for inspection. The technician stated that the floor mat became stuck under the pedal. She received a recall notice from the manufacturer, but did not remove the floor-mats. The current and failure mileages were 15,107.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA