Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Mar 102015

Around 140,000 miles (3-1-15) I noticed that I was staring to add oil between oil changes. It has become worse with time (and mileage). I now (9-12-16) need to check and add oil at least every three weeks.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Aug 292016

On 06-21-2016, we took our 2009 Toyota Camry SE to wondries Toyota in alhambra ca for the oil consumption test under the enhancement warranty (ZE7). We were told by the service advisor to drive the vehicle (which had 61088 miles) for approximately 1100-1300 miles then bring it back in for the re-inspection. On 08-29-2016, we brought our Camry back into the dealership with 62330 miles on it. We were told by the service advisor that our vehicle did not fail the test. The vehicle had only used up "a 1/4 of a quart of oil" and in order to fail the test it would've needed to burn "a quart of oil" in the given amount of miles. I ask the service advisor if it was normal for the vehicle to have blueish color smoke come out of the tailpipe every morning. He stated no. The service advisor stated "you would need to check my oil every 1200 miles to add oil". I asked him it was normal for me to have to check and add oil to this vehicle. He stated no. I stated if I follow the Toyota oil change guideline (changing oil every 5000-7000 miles) then my vehicle would have lost 1-11/2 quart of oil prior to the oil change. He stated yes. I explained to him that it was a safety concern for my wife that drives the vehicle and now she runs the rest of the motor stopping on her because of excessive oil usage and the dealership would not fix the problem. He stated there was nothing he can do so I need to contact Toyota motor corporation.

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Aug 182016

I have a 2009 Toyota Camry SE with 53,000 miles on it. There was a noise coming from the engine during driving. Upon inspection I found out that there was no coolant in the reservoir. I also found that there was pink powder residue on the engine near the serpentine belt where the water pump is located. Did some research on the internet and found out many other people with the cars built from 2007-2009 Camry had the same issue under warranty. Some cars had 10,000 miles or less with the problem. Also found out Toyota replaced the water pumps on these Camry with a waterpump built from a different company. I filled the reservoir with coolant and took it to Toyota and they said indeed the water pump was leaking. They would not cover the costs under warranty since it had expired. There would be no coolant leaking under the car. During many of the oil changes the Toyota technicians would add coolant and top it off and never mentioned anything about the water pump leaking. I only found out because I saw the coolant reservoir was empty and started looking for a leak. I believe Toyota knew these water pumps were defective, and only changed it for people who complained about the problems under warranty with a different manufacturer of the water pump free of charge. Engines without coolant can get hot and catch fire. Please look into this issue of defective water pumps.

- League City, TX, USA

Aug 152016

Every time I took my car to get an oil change (every 3000 miles sometimes even a little earlier), I am told my oil is low or dirty or both. This last time I took it I was told I was low two quarts of oil and I didn't even hit 3,000 miles yet. I was told next time if it was low I might have to do a complete engine flush. I decided to get a few more opinions before going forward with any work. I was told by a man at a Toyota dealership in torrance, that it sounded similar to an issue another person he knows had which ended up being a recall for that persons car. I was advised to call the dealership I got my car from and check with them for a recall. I called and received news that there was a "warranty enhancement" for excessive oil consumption. I took it in to get the first step of the test done which consisted of making sure there wasn't an oil leak and since there wasn't they topped off my oil then applied markers to my dip stick and other places so they can measure how much my oil went down after only 1200 miles. When I returned after the 1200 miles they checked the levels again and saw obviously my engine burned a significant amount of oil since they last checked it. They added a quart of oil back into my car when I returned and since it was little above full after they added the quart, they said my car passed the test and that although my car burned oil it wasn't enough for them to do any work to my car. Basically telling me that its $5,000 to fix and that it was normal in Toyota to consume excessive amounts of oil. I bought my car certified used from the cerritos auto square autonation lot. I couldn't believe that they turned me away without even suggesting other ways for me to get better oil consumption or any other help for that matter. I was told I can do the test one more time and they told me to go to a different dealership which I also found strange.

- Harbor City, CA, USA

Jul 072016

Took my vehicle to the dealership for a simple oil/filter change on July 7, 2016. I was told the water pump had leak and requiring the pump to be replaced. I was quoted to pay about $530 to get a new water pump replacement. I did look up the similar problem related to 2009 Camry. My vehicle has just over 50,000 miles mostly highway driven mileage. There have been more cases reported and supposedly to be a recall issued for New York state residents with similar complaints/problems. I don't know whether the local marietta dealership in Georgia ripping me off or not. I did not ask for the old water pump to be returned to me after the work was done. I did not see the leak at all in my garage. I would appreciate it very much if there was unannounced recall from Toyota, I would be eligible for my water pump replacement bill.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 032016

Excessive oil consumption. Burns 1 quart within 1,500 of millage use. My current car millage is approximately 88,000 miles. This problem is shown through large puffs of black smoke from the exhaust, upon ignition. This is obviously not a "normal" situation. This issue may lead to a higher amount oil purchases and serious engine damage; it is very costly.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Apr 182016

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the exhaust emitted white smoke without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the valve seal plugs and valve cover gasket were defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Jun 202016

Excessive oil use..

- Greenville, TX, USA

Jun 042015

My car consumes excessive amounts of oil. I need to add oil about every 1000 miles. Toyota has conducted 2 oil consumption tests and tells me that the oil consumption is normal.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Jun 012015

My 2009 Toyota Camry is consuming a lot of oil, in between oil changes I have to add a quart of oil, it is burning oil abnormally. I took it to the Toyota dealership for the oil consumption test but was told my vehicle is fine and burning oil as it should for age of the car. My mechanic tells me different. However I do not feel comfortable with how it is burning the oil so quickly.

- California City, CA, USA

May 242016

Excessive engine oil consumption. Only 1 liter of engine oil came out during my last engine oil change at 65,000 miles even after I put in a liter at 64,500 miles because the red low engine oil pressure light came on and I checked the dipstick to see that almost no engine oil was in my car. I'm currently at 67,000 miles and the red light came on again, so I added one more liter of engine oil after checking the dipstick and practically nothing registered. I need to get it fixed, but the Toyota dealer says nothing is wrong with my car/VIN, so I can't get the necessary parts even if they have them in stock. I called the 1-888-270-9371 Toyota customer assistance center and the representative said there's nothing she could do. Would like to fix the problem before my engine blows up.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Dec 012015

Excessive oil consumption.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

May 182016

Excessive oil consumption

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Mar 092016

My 2009 Toyota Camry is consuming an excessive amount of oil. During my last regular oil change, the dip stick was dry. I asked the technician to ensure there were no leaks and everything was tight and he assured me it was. I began googling the issue and learned this is a common problem with my year/make/model. It is consuming oil at an alarming rate.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 122016

Starting in 2013 I was having problems with oil usage. Of course I was told it was a random issue and not happening to other vehicles. My engine blow in Jan 2014. I had to pay to replace it because it wasn't under warranty. Around August of 2015 I get a letter about the oil consumption. I took it to my local dealer for the test, of course my engine failed the test. We scheduled to have the parts replace in Sept 2015. The work was completed and it had a engine noise which I was told was normal. In Feb 2016 my engine blew again !! I took it back to the dealer and was told they did nothing wrong !! how ?? it was fine, just using oil up until they took it apart and fixed the problem !! now they refuse to do anything because it was not the original motor !! but I had the same problem with the original motor and they did nothing then either !! so I have a car sitting in storage that cant be driven and they want to nothing !!

- Windsor, PA, USA

Mar 152016

Vehicle has excessive oul consumption. We received notification from Toyota of the problem.

- Pine Hill, NJ, USA

Mar 012016

Excessive oil consumption

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 112016

The "low oil pressure" light flickered briefly a few days ago, then again the evening of 1/10/2016. I had my cousin check the oil level morning of 1/11/2016. He said it was extremely low. I went to the service place that changes my oil. He had to add 3 quarts of oil and said I needed to keep a close check on it. I am very diligent in my oil changes and maintaining my car. This has never happened before.

- Russellville, AL, USA

Nov 242015

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while at an independent mechanic for a routine oil change, the technician discovered that there was excessive oil coming from the engine. As a result, the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000....updated 02/19/16

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 032014

Camry 4-cyl

At 76427 (3865 miles after oil change) the oil light came on and the dip stick was dry. I took in to mcquire Toyota and they started a phase 1 oil consumption test. At 1300 miles I took it back, they only added 1 quart of oil, it passed their test. Then after 2499 miles the oil light came on again and the dip stick was dry. They told me there was nothing they could do about it. I constantly check the oil because I am afraid that the oil will go dry and the engine will blow. I think that this problem will only get worse. After 2499 miles my oil light should not be coming on and the dip stick should not be dry. Toyota's oil consumption test may look good on paper, but it doesn't work in real life. I am 63 tears old and I have never had a vehicle where this happens. I am concerned that this all is going to damage the engine, so I have to keep a close watch of it. Thank you.

- Newfield, NY, USA