Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 012009

Safety hazard!. 2009 Toyota Camry (likely all hybrid automobiles) will continuously restart the gas engine to recharge the battery if the ignition system is not turned off when departing the vehicle. If the auto is in an attached garage this could result in accidental co poisoning to occupants within the dwelling. I have observed a hybrid continuously restarting while parked in the driveway. This car is usually kept in an attached garage. The owner forgot to turn off the ignition upon leaving the car. This is likely a common event. This will eventually result in seriously injury or death, and may have already happened and not been properly identified and reported. I had reported this safety hazard to the ntsb in mid-2009 with no subsequent ntsb acknowledgement or follow-up.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jul 102009

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry which was purchased in February 2009. He stated that a piece of metal was hanging from under the passenger's side front frame, near the passenger's side wheel. He also stated that upon starting the vehicle, the engine began idling uncontrollably and within minutes it would settle down and repeat. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they replaced the piece of metal that was hanging underneath the vehicle. The engine failure could not be duplicated; yet, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the failure again, could not be duplicated. The dealer advised the contact to file a lemon law complaint since the failure could not duplicated. No repairs were made. The failure mileage was 900 and the current mileage was 4400.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 172009

I have a 2009 Camry le I bought in December 2008. It shakes alot in the cold and was told its because of snow and ice build up, and I accepted that. I then drove it when the temperature was 45 degrees with no snow or ice and it still shook, as if the balance was off but I know its not.I live in boston and hope they can correct it, otherwise I like the car.

- Newburyport, MA, USA

Feb 282009

Approx. 3pm car was parked, blockheater plugged in, unloaded, locked approx. 3:30pm neighbor informs us that car is on fire. Fire in front section of engine compartment. Approx. 3:45pm firemen and police arrive approx. 4pm fire extinguished, police interview me and neighbors. Rule out arson. Approx. 4:30pm car is towed to police compound. Mar. 2 insurance company contacted. Investigation proceeds with Toyota presence. Total write off. Mar. 23 preliminary report - indeterminate to much damage. Begin in driver front corner, in front of radiator.

- Toronto, 00, USA

Dec 152008

I have a 2009 Toyota Camry hybrid. I got an oil change. A day later the dash light came on. I just assumed that they didn't reset my oil change light. I drove it for about two weeks and then took a 300 mile round trip. When I was driving home, I was hearing a knocking noise. I went to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle. They said that the oil filter was not on the vehicle, there was oil under the body of the car and that I would need a new engine due to this one burned up. Has anyone ever had an oil filter blown off the vehicle. I'm curious due to the fact that it took two weeks to burn up and oil would have come out faster if the oil filter had been left off from the oil change.

- Nederland, TX, USA