Excessive Oil Consumption

2009 Toyota Camry (Page 1 of 11)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

7.5

$1,400

2. starting the excessive oil consumption test (16 reports)
  3. replace engine block (15 reports)
  4. toyota says 1.1 qts. per 600mi is normal (15 reports)
  5. toyota says normal (15 reports)
  6. situation was not fix. I was told to get a new car (13 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Oct 242017

Camry LE 4 cyl

Was told that the valve cover gasket was leaking, which it was , had it repaired. I had it replaced recently again as the first repair shop did it incorrectly. Car is still using about a half a quart of oil every 700 miles. There are no visible leaks. I had a mechanic check it all over for leaks (resulted in gasket replacement), no other leaks detected. The car now has over 175,000 miles and it is my understanding Toyota will not cover it as it is over the 150K limit. It runs normally, no loss of power, does not knock or ping. My concern is that this will get wore over time . I always thought I had nothing to worry about in the way of reliability as a Toyota owner. I have my doubts as I have read several complaint sites and see similar issues with this model year.

- flasteeler18, Jacksonville, US

May 062017

Camry XLE 2.4L

I own a 2009 Camry it has all records of anything that's ever been done to it plus my dad is mechanic also on top of all this!! I had noticed that my oil light has came on after driving a little more that month then normal of course I called my dad and headed that way but I had checked it as soon as the light came on and it was BONE DRY I check the oil between changes anyways to be safe it had been 2 weeks since the new change had been done!!! I also had switched to synthetic to help MAYBE with it burning this much oil!!! UGH

I went home and did some extensive research on this issue (recalls and websites like this one and even YouTube) to see if it was a frequent issue and IT WAS!!! Piston and rings burning excessive oil amounts FOR NO REASON depending on how much you drive the car the more it burns it up!! SO I contacted Toyota Headquarters and after about 4 phone calls the finally called me back, I explained to her the issue which I'M SURE SHE HAD HEARD AFTER ALL I HAD READ and how many people have had to be stiffed with this issue!!! Mind you this was last year! She had told me that they had made put the car into a bracket recall so it had guidelines and the guidelines of that they WILL NOT fix the car or rebuild WHATEVER it was after 150,000 on it!! So I asked the lady that's funny that you claim to take care of this issue BUT the car did NOT start burning this oil until AFTER THE CAR HIT 150,000 so was this in the "TOYOTA PLAN" so NOTHING could be done, the lady I spoke with didn't care nor did she answer any of my questions LIKE why would they put a bracket on it??? They want us to buy another Camry? I DON"T THINK SO!

This 2009 was my 4th Camry and my first Camry I'd still have if I hadn't crashed it NO oil burned from that one @200,000 miles just a water pump!! The good ol Camry days HUM SMH so the 2009 still burns oil and after great care nothing is done COOL THANK TOYOTA!! I'll make sure it's very well known and I'll go buy my a Honda or Acura they seem to still be standing by their names these days!! What a disappointment and let down here, I really do love the Camry but not after this shaft of a move to not stand by your name or what you make or DON'T make for that matter!!!!!!

- toniheight, Lapel, IN, United States

Jan 012011

Camry LE

My wife had a new 2009 Camry, and I used to change oil for her car. every 5k miles.And never check oil level in between oil change.Until one day her coworker said you should your oil level every 1000 miles. I stared to pay attention and noted it consume about 1 quart of oil every 1000 mile. And I got a letter from Toyota said that I need to bring the vehicle to near deal to fix. So I did. At the dealer they did a test and said my wife Camry consume 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, this was normal and there was no fix.

I had to end up adding 4 quarts of oil every oil change. This costed me so much money and times for Toyota and dealer created and don't want to fix it.

I myself had a 1999 Camry V6, and loved it. It had 200,000 Miles on it, and never need to add oil between oil change.

There is for sure my next car will never a TOYOTA.

- mycamry, Temple City, US

Mar 072018

Camry SE LE

I regularly take my Camry to get full service with the local Toyota dealer. Approximately six months ago I was informed by the dealer that the car engine was using oil and that I should keep vigilant and return 3 weeks later to be checked again. I was informed that it was not enough for Toyota to be fixed. Since that time I have taken the same car to be serviced again. The dealer service person told me that my car an excessive amount of oil. and that I would have to get an engine overhaul costing me thousands of dollars. I have checked for leaks and there are none. I now have to constantly checking my engine oil.

I was of the believe that Toyota cars were very dependable and would last well over two hundred thousand miles if you take care of the vehicle. Which II have, there is a record at my Toyota dealer of my car service. The name of my dealer is Royal Moore Toyota service located in Hillsboro, Oregon. I am a senior citizen on a fixed income.

- Jose G., Hillsboro, US

Sep 052014

Camry LE 4cly

I have been a faithful Toyota owner since the late 70's early 80's and still have a 1996 Toyota Tacoma SR% that doesn't use a drop of oil between oil changes! I was told by the local Toyota dealership that this is normal but being a mechanic/technician my whole life I know this is BS and a LIE and they know it. Were it not for me being disabled now I would have probably tried to fix myself but that is not possible now.

I don't think I'll ever buy another Toyota vehicle ever again and the oil consumption on this car is getting worse all the time the car now has 126,000 on it and we must watch the oil very closely. Toyota should do the right thing and fix this I've been warning everyone I talk with to never buy a Toyota!!!

- Gary N., Hardy, US

Aug 012016

Camry

My daughter bought this car. I/she never received a bulletin or recall and had no idea there was one. However I did think it was unusual for such a seemingly dependable brand to have such extreme oil consumption. Only after searching the internet for a fix did I find that the problem was well known by Toyota.

- Lou B., Watervliet, MI, US

May 012013

Camry ES 4 cylider

Toyota knows this is an issue and they won't recall the cars to be fixed. Many owners don't even know it's an issue until it's out of warranty with Toyota. That is an issue. It's a known issue with these cars and motor. Shame on Toyota and I own 4 or them currently but they may just be my last. Stand behind your product and fix the issue. There is already one class action lawsuit going about this very issue.

- Curry M., Rock Hill, SC, US

Jan 012017

Camry LE 2.4L Vvti

Defective piston and rings. Oil pressure is constantly on.

- Amela B., Los Gatos, CA, US

Jan 202017

Camry LX 4

After conversation with my mechanic I was advised to go to Toyota to have it fixed. He had heard of other customers getting the engine rebuilt on Toyota's dime. Went to the Kendall Toyota and was told to do the oil consumption test. Followed the directions to the tee. We did not open the hood for 1200 miles. When we went back to the dealer it was a quart low. We were told that we had to change to synthetic oil because it would burn less oil. Synthetic is more expensive but we did that. After doing this at 900 miles it burned quart of oil.

Went back to the dealer and was told it burned about the same. The lead of the department told us this was normal and would not repair the problem. Talking with another lead and techs they have seen other customers having the problem fixed by Toyota. It sounded like who ever you talked to and what there attitude was that day if the problem would be fixed.

I was told to call customer care. This is the next step.

We started this process with dealing with Toyota in February of 2018. We continued to add oil for about a year before we were told to contact Toyota. regarding the excessive use of oil.

- Sue G., Eugene, US

Jun 292018

Camry LE 2az 4 cyl

Apparently, using 3/4 quart of oil in 1100 miles is the new standard for Toyota. I thought they had better engine quality than this level. I basically putting in enough oil between changes to amount to another change. It will definitely impact my next car purchase.

- Mike S., Denton, TX, US

Jun 242016

Camry SE 4 cyl

Bought Toyota certified. Using more oil now than gas. If different engine would go over 300,000 miles no oil consumption. Toyota checked at 147,000 miles said 1 quart in 1000 miles was ok. It was more than a quart, I checked myself before taking it to Toyota. Now after 150,000 can't check again. Called Toyota they said sorry like and 8th grader getting caught. So sad. Paid a lot, wife loves car, can't afford to replace engine, fouls out plugs crazy. They should recall and replace for free.

- randymiller, Orrville, US

Jun 152018

Camry LE 2.4L V4

I now know that this 2009 Toyota Camry was recalled for excessive oil consumption. Never got paperwork about that in the past. It started making a knocking noise and acceleration wasn't right so I took it to my independent mechanic. He said that there was no oil in the engine, which caused the noise. My mechanic indicated that the rod was thrown due to low oil, there were no leaks apparent, clearly the car burned through a significant amount of oil causing catastrophic engine failure.

I then took the car to a Toyota service department. They said that since the car had oil (which I had my mechanic put in a few days prior for safety) that it wasn't a case of excessive oil consumption and did not fall under the warranty. Therefore, Toyota said my only option was to replace the engine which the dealer quoted at $5,000 USD for a used engine and even more for a rebuilt engine. I have filed a complaint with dealership and corporate.

- Marcia D., Long Beach, CA, US

Apr 032017

Camry SE 4 cyl

Bought a Camry expecting it to last for a long time. Very disappointed Toyota thinks a QT every 1,000 miles is "normal"!

Really pissed with Toyota!

- Brett M., Champlin, US

Nov 202017

Camry V4

I noticed that when I started my car I saw blue smoke. I had my husband check my oil and none registered on the stick! Oil light NEVER came on!

- ptodd123, Humboldt, US

Jun 042016

Camry 4S 4 cyl

So...our 2009 Toyota Camry started going through a lot of oil these past several years. It currently has around 127,000 miles and we have to put a quart or more oil in it every 2 weeks or so and/or about every 400 miles between standard 3,000 mile oil changes. We are spending roughly over $ 150.00/yr on extra motor oil but the Toyota reps tell us that this is " normal " since the vehicle has over 100,000 miles on it and because of the " thin-weighted oil --- 5W-20 " that it consumes.

- John M., Charlotte, NC, US

Feb 012017

Camry LE

I had the excessive oil consumption issue for over a year. When I brought it in for the oil consumption test because of the TSB, I was told it passed and there was not issues, even though I explained that I know it was burning oil quickly because when I would change the oil there would be very little oil left in the engine. Also the check oil light would come on when I get to 4,000 miles. This gradually got worse. Luckily I called Toyota again and I was under 150,000 miles and allowed to get the test again. And this time it failed so Toyota will fix it. But if I didn't contact them again about this problem, it would have been out of warranty and then I would have to get it fixed myself.

- Jeen M., Laurel, US

Nov 012015

Camry SE 2.4L

I have had this problem for years. My wife drives this car and told me about having to add oil and I was like ok, I will have it checked out for an oil leak. Later after she really started complaining to me, I asked the people who change the oil to look for a leak, but they didn’t see any. I even had the valve cover replaced just to be sure and I was still losing oil. I have to add 2-3 bottles of oil between oil changes. After reading some stories this seem like a Toyota issue that should have been repaired. I really like Toyota’s. Let’s pray they do the right thing and repair this problem. I know that car manufacturers aren’t perfect but they should be responsible for faulty work.

- mjuly, Austin, US

Jan 082018

Camry SE 4 Cykinfer

I am adding two to three quarts of oil between the regular 5,000 mile oil change.

- timothybenton, McKinney, US

May 032017

Camry ES V6

This Camry was a commute vehicle until 2015. After that it's been mainly used for short trips on surface streets, with a few short road trips. We first noticed the problem when we took it from Atlanta to Charleston in 2017. (longest road trip this car had ever been). Since then, I check the oil almost every time I buy gas, and it is low about every other refuel. I add one qt of oil approx every 400 miles. I keep a diary of gas, oil, and work done in a little book that I keep in the car, so this is not just a guess. You can also see blue exhaust.

This car is past due for both time and miles on the warranty, so I'm hoping that the class action will require Toyota to fix this problem. In general, I like the Camry and I want to keep driving it as long as I can.

- pamking, McDonough, US

Feb 172018

Camry EX 2.4L Doh

So sad the company doesn't acknowledge the problem. Have had 3 other Toyotas generally w/o problems. Is there any car maker left that doesn't turn out garbage?

- ap_fergusson, Winter Garden, US