CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 062016

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds and attempting to make a turn, a popping noise emitted from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the steering intermediate shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Feb 012016

Camry

The vehicle was in motion when the steering wheel locked suddenly. It hit a sidewall on the right and careened to the left and finally came to a stop when it hit another vehicle. At this point, the steering wheel was still locked despite the fact that the engine was running and it was still in drive

- Duluth, GA, USA

Sep 212015

Camry

Steering wheel started vibrating on reaching the speed of 60 mph. It was more prominent while driving straight while it was not as much while negotiating the bends. However, no vibration was felt at slower speeds. I have got both front and rear rotors and break pads changed recently, all wheels have been balanced and alignment done. I wonder if the manufacturer would take care to identify the cause and recommend remedy.

- Belleville, NJ, USA

Aug 012011

Camry

When driving very slowly, there is a clicking or rattling sound when turning the wheel. The car has 55,000 miles on it. The dealer diagnosed the cause as a warn "intermediate shaft." They are replacing it at a cost of $550, parts and labor. The dealer said that in time this would be a safety issue. I have been driving since 1956. This is the first time this part has failed out of 16 cars we have owned. All have had many more miles on them this Toyota. In my opinion, this is a manufacturing defect. It should be subject to recall and free repair.

- Northbrook, IL, USA

Jul 102014

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. Upon making a turn, the contact heard a noise coming from the steering wheel. The contact stated that the power steering warning light flashed and illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Dec 162014

Camry 4-cyl

Power steering hose leaking despite of any damage or collision to the front.

- Garland , TX, USA

Oct 182014

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while driving at 55 mph, the steering wheel was turned right to switch lanes and the steering wheel jerked left instead. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed from the scene. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The approximate failure mile was 135,000.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Jul 022013

Camry 6-cyl

Knocking noise in the steering wheel that amplifies over time, car is a Toyota Camry SE V6 2009 in great condition, feel now unsafe to drive as noise increases when turning wheel local Toyota dealer say intermediate shaft has to be replaced, asking $ 575 seems to me more as a defective part, but dealer says full cost of replacement has to be charged.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 292014

Camry 4-cyl

This model of car has a manufacturer's defect in the pistons that is well documented in various resources, causing the engine to rapidly burn oil. See the following link for discussion: www.carcomplaints.com/Toyota/Camry/2009/engine/excessive_oil_consumption.shtml the car is now burning up to a quart of oil per 1000 miles and Toyota is claiming this is normal.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jul 312013

Camry 4-cyl

As noted by other safety recalls for Toyota that did not include the 2009 Camry something malfunctioned in my steering wheel and the airbag is no longer functioning as well as the buttons on the steering wheel or cruise control I believe this is the same issue other vehicles made by Toyota have had safety recalls for and do not believe it to be an odd coincidence that I would then have that same issue. I am hoping that others report this so that the Camry can be added to that recall.

- Dakota Dunes , SD, USA

Mar 222014

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the driver was traveling 20 mph when the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact mentioned that the vehicle started to veer to the left, causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle and roll over. A police report was not filed. The driver did not sustain any injuries. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- Windfield, AL, USA

Jan 012010

Camry 4-cyl

When I was driving at night, I started to feel a lot of heat in my right hand, the heat came from the radio and the A/C controls stop working and the radio too, the radio turn blank but keep playing the A/C controls keep turning on and off by them selves. Since then my radio goes blank, on and off and the dealer wont do nothing about it, I have check with different Camry's owners and I have found out that they have the same problem. I also have problems with my brakes"??" when I step on the brakes my steering wheel starts shaking like if the rotors were bad, I took the car to my mechanic only to find out that a idle arm is bad, and he as well as other Camry's owners tell me that there are a lot problems with those arms. My car is stock, I haven't done any modifications. The other problem that I have is that I took the car for new tires and I saw rust inside all my rims, I live in California so there no snow or I do not live to close to the beach, and I do not know what to do, I told the dealer and they say nothing they can do. My visors keep falling off and they come of their base.

- Fontana , CA, USA

Jan 142013

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that when turning the steering wheel, there was a loud popping noise coming from the intermediate shaft. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the intermediate shaft was faulty and needed to be repaired. The dealer replaced the intermediate shaft. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The current and failure mileage was 48,164.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Jan 012012

Camry 4-cyl

Since last year I am hearing a clicking sound, while turning steering and a glitch when pushing brake to stop. This looks like a similar issue for which prius were recalled. Too me its looks like a manufacture defect but Toyota dealership denies if this is consider to be recall or manufacturer defect.

- Little Elm, TX, USA

May 012013

Camry

Sunvisor on passenger side loosend and then broke off.the panel on air bag on passenger side started coming apart, and lastly a loud clunking sound as I turned steering wheel.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Nov 012011

Camry

I have always service the vehicle which is in great conditions and all of sudden I start notice a clicking noise in the Toyota Camry steering (example backing out of the parking lot and turns. I believe this may be a product defective for Camry intermediate steering shaft. There many people having the same symptoms. The mechanic said it is just like a rubber band type thing in the steering column stretched out and would not effect anything but if I wanted it fixed it would be $400. I didn't have the money at the time. One of my coworkers was borrowing the car the other day and pointed that out to me said it probably was a ball joint or strut or something wrong with steering. I had gotten use to this sound turning. Now I am worried. I bought this used and don't know what is wrong. I don't think I should be responsible for this fix when it only had 26K miles on it.

- Richmond, IN, USA

May 302013

Camry 4-cyl

I have always service the vehicle which is in great conditions and all of sudden I start notice a clicking noise in the Toyota Camry steering (example backing out of the parking lot and turns. I believe this may be a product defective for Camry intermediate steering shaft. There many people having the same symptoms. I took the car to the dealer and just to replace the part they are charging $236.52 for the part only not including the labor which is to expensive.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Dec 172012

Camry

I have taken care of vehicle which is well maintained and all of sudden I start feeling a clicking noise in the Toyota Camry steering (example backing out of the parking lot and turn into sharp turns. I believe this may be a product defective for Camry intermediate steering shaft. There many people having the same symptoms with 2007 to 2011 Camry.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 032012

Camry 4-cyl

Recently, steering started making clunk, knocking sound which is loud. Toyota dealer diagnose noise from steering shaft, 55000 mile.

- Corona, CA, USA

Nov 092012

Camry 6-cyl

The steering intermediate shaft on my 2009 Toyota Camry is worn out and has a lot of play in the steering along with a popping noise when turning the steering wheel from left to right at any speed. I began to notice the problem around 60,000 miles, I now have 80,000 miles and it has gotten much worse. On 11/09/12, I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed the steering intermediate shaft as the problem and advised they stocked the parts because of it being a common problem. On 11/14/12, Toyota released a voluntary recall for 2004-2009 Toyota prius models which involved the steering intermediate shaft. The recall describes the exact problem I am having with my Camry. The recall should be extended to the Camry model as well.

- Menifee, CA, USA