CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 242013

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while having the tires replaced, she was notified that the struts were leaking. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician verified the failure but stated that according to the manufacturer specifications the struts did not have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 29,689...updated 03/18/13

- Houma, LA, USA

Sep 102012

Camry 4-cyl

I am writing about the prevalent problem of leaking struts on Toyota Camry 2009. In Sept of 2012 I took my car to a mechanic for a oil change and multi point inspection and I was told that my car front struts were leaking. The car had approximately 30,000 miles on it at the time. I normally have my tires balanced and rotated every 6 to 7,000 miles and noticed very heavy wearing of the tire. I took it to a auto repair shop and I was informed the struts should not leak at few such a low mileage. When called the Toyota customer service I was told it was out of warranty as 3 years passed. I understand as per the conversation that Toyota is completely aware of the problem and chooses to ignore it. This problem should be subject to a recall as it endangers people lives.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jan 042011

Camry 4-cyl

After getting the third set of tires, I noticed that all four struts were leaking. The second set of tires wore out prematurely. Also, the driver's side sun visor started flapping and would no longer stay up. I had to remove the visor because it started to block my view.

- Clayton, NC, USA

May 102012

Camry

In may of 2012, I took my car to the Toyota dealer because another mechanic told me the struts were leaking. The car had approximately 37,000 miles on it at the time and new tires. I took it to avondale Toyota and they told me that all struts experienced small leakage and it was no problem. I normally have my tires balanced and rotated every 6-7,000 miles and noticed recently that the interior tread on the tires was wearing excessively. I took it to an independent reputable auto repair shop that I have used for years and they told me that an alignment would only be a temporary fix since the struts were leaking and the cause of the uneven wear on the tires. I then called avondale Toyota and asked if there was a technical service bulletin for this problem. She said no after talking to a service representative and I then told her that I had T-sb-0145-11 in my hand. I made an appointment and arrived to talk to dexter a service employee and he said there was nothing he could do about it since it was over the 36,000 miles. I have discussed this with several mechanics and they all informed me that struts should not leak at those few highway miles and the only way to fix the problem is to put new struts on the car. I have driven inifiniti and Acura vehicles over 130,000 each and not replaced the struts. I know Toyota is completely aware of the problem and chooses to ignore it. This problem should be subject to a recall as it can endanger lives because of the tire wear problem. I checked on the internet and there are numerous complaints about the same problem.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Sep 082011

Camry 4-cyl

Struts on my 2009 Camry starting leaking around 30000 miles. Since the car is under warranty, Toyota dealer checked them out in September 2011 and indicated that a small amount of leak is normal and struts need not be replaced. Now (November 18, 2012) I have 45,000 miles on my car (out of warranty) and a mechanic checked the struts out and indicated that all four struts are leaking very badly and must be replaced. This is premature failure and Toyota should replace struts on 2009 Camry without charge.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Oct 172012

Camry

Was having the oil changed when I was informed the struts on the vehicle were leaking. 30,000 miles on the vehicle. I was told that the cost to replace the struts would be $1671.55. I called Toyota customer service to file a complaint. I was told the car was out of warranty and there is nothing they would or could do. It appears this is a standard problem on these automobiles and Toyota refuses to do anything about it. The situation is getting worse now. I really worry about the safety of the car and will be getting rid of it asap. I will never purchase anther Toyota and will inform everyone I know of the issue. I have no confidence Toyota will do anything to resolve this without legal intervention. They refuse to do anything for me because the car was out of warranty even though it only has 30000 miles on it.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Nov 032012

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the front struts were leaking. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 55,000.

- Belchertown, MA, USA

Aug 012008

Camry 4-cyl

Vehicle pulls hard to the left no matter what speed or lane you are in. Have visited the local Toyota dealership numerous times and all they do is switch the tires around. Vehicle has had 4 front end alignments and none have corrected the issue. Vehicle now has 80,000 miles on it and I am on my 5th set of tires due to the wear in them.

- Starkville, MS, USA

Aug 132012

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for unrelated service when the mechanic advised her that the struts were leaking. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for further inspection or repair. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and the current mileage was 60,000. The VIN was not available.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Sep 152011

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 45 mph, the contact noticed excessive shaking and a loud rumbling sound coming from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a diagnostic test. The mechanic stated that all four struts would have to be replaced because they were leaking. Also all four tires would also have to be replaced due to excessive wear caused by the struts. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Suffield, CT, USA

Apr 192012

Camry 4-cyl

While backing out of my garage unto the driveway and then into the street, it caused a unintended acceleration while driving in reverse, causing almost a 90 degree spin and I had to slam on the brakes for it to finally stop. This happened once on 4/18/12 and then again the exact same thing happened again on 6/8/2012. The first time it happened I thought it was something I did and then when it happened again I knew that "something was really wrong" and when I realized the danger over that weekend I parked the car in my garage and have not driven it since. Now I am hearing of car door panels catching on fire for 2007-2009 Camry...I will not even drive this car, it will be towed to the dealership this week. I will not be killed or kill someone waiting for something happen. I will never buy another Toyota product again.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Jun 092012

Camry

Went to Firestone to have oil change, brakes check and rotation/balance tires. Told all for struts have small leak and need to be replaced. $1400. Called Toyota. Told they are still under warranty but that it is normal for struts to leak. Told me to bring it in. After reading other reviews and hearing similar complaints with no intentions of Toyota to replace struts, I feel I will be wasting half a day or more to have Toyota look at it and tell me all is well. I have noticed problem a month after I bought car that my suspension was off and there was a knock at my left front tire when I go over a bump. I am noticing uneven wear on my tires and my tire pressure lights stays on. Mileage 43,000 and bought car with mileage at 28,000. Toyota Camry 2009. Please help. Recall needed.

- Beaumont, CA, USA

Jun 012012

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that all four struts were leaking oil abnormally. The contact took the vehicle to a service center and the mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact did not know what caused the struts to leak. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Media, PA, USA

Oct 012011

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving under15 mph when a loud, abnormal noise emitted from the driver side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed for the failure.the failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 50,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

May 162012

Camry

The dealership said that the inspection revealed all four struts are "misting", not considered a leak, with approximately 30,000 miles on the vehicle. I was told that the cost to replace the struts would be $1671.55. I called Toyota customer service to file a complaint. I was told the car was out of warranty and there is nothing they could do. I am very disappointed. I am feeling that I have been tricked. The problem have been on my car when they sold. The situation is getting worse now. I really worry about the safety of the car. I had confidence on Toyota before. Now I am really upset with Toyota. They refuse to do anything for me because the car was out of warranty.

- San Lorenzo, CA, USA

Apr 162012

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the rear struts were leaking fluid. The vehicle was inspected and the contact was informed that the rear struts needed to be replaced due to safety concerns. The dealer was notified and stated that there were no recalls addressing the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- York, PA, USA

Mar 312012

Camry 4-cyl

After routine oil change on 2009 Camry, I was informed by a certified mechanic that 3 of 4 struts were leaking and must be replaced. The car is due for Pennsylvania state safety inspection in August 2012 and I was informed it would not pass. I called Toyota care customer service to file a complaint. I was told the car was out of warranty and there is nothing they could do. He said there were no warranty extensions or federal recalls. The mechanic stated strut failure at 35,000 miles is unacceptable.

- Southampton, PA, USA

Feb 082012

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked when he noticed that the front struts were leaking oil. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the struts were performing as designed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and confirmed that the struts were performing as designed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 51,513.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Oct 182011

Camry

I was told by a mechanic that the front two struts were leaking and to bring the car to dealership. Toyota plaza automall stated the mechanic checked out the noise and concern. Service manager stated they do leak and Toyota allows ascertain amount to leak and are within Toyota guidelines...you want to see this information? they greased something at the end of the driveshaft and said it's all fixed. I believed them. My car only has 23,000 miles and I have loyally only taken my Camry to plaza, where I bought the car from. I am not auto savvy but I do know that things on a vehicle should not leak especially shocks! anyhows, I am still waiting for a replacement stereo under warranty for two weeks to come into dealership.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 292011

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact took the vehicle to an independent repair shop for routine service when she was informed that all four struts were leaking oil and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer had not been notified nor was the vehicle repaired. The consumer was informed the cost to replace the struts would be $1671.25. Updated evoq 12/01/11

- Lake Elsnoir, CA, USA