ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2006 BMW 325 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 325:

2006 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Aug 172012

325 6-cyl

The two issues are (1) airbag malfunction and (2) steering wheel malfunction. (1) the first issue occurred while I was driving on ca I-80 towards berkley from davis on 8/17/2012. As I was driving, the car displayed a notification that the passenger air bag was experiencing a problem and shut off. There was a passenger in the car. As of this date, the airbag is still shut off. (2) the second issue occurred while I was driving on ca I-280 from burlingame towards millbrae on 8/30/2012. As I was driving, I noticed a steering wheel lock notification. Luckily, I was at my exit and near home so I drove slowly home. After turning the car off, the steering wheel locked up. Restarting and turning the car off causes the steering wheel to randomly lock/unlock. I have not driven the car after the incident.

- Millbrae, CA, USA

Aug 012012

325 6-cyl

I now have the "steering lock" yellow caution light on.

- St Johns, FL, USA

Aug 282012

325 6-cyl

Tried to start car, put key in, pressed start button and an amber padlock icon appeared over a steering wheel icon - car won't start.

- Mckinleyville, CA, USA

Aug 052012

325

Today my BMW 325I was giving me a trouble symbol with a red steering wheel with a lock with the number 1 in it. I was parked at gas station getting gas and when I tried to crank the car back up it would not start. I have been reading hundreds of other blogs about people having the exact same problem. It looks like we are going to have to have a tow truck to take the car 70 miles to the nearest dealer and pay to have it fixed. This should certainly be a recall!!! shame on you BMW for not admitting that this is a major problem. What if the steering would have locked up with my family in the car going down the road?

- Metter, GA, USA

Jul 212012

325 6-cyl

Steering was locked and I can't start the car for 2 days after I trying so many methods got from online.

- Port Washington, MP, USA

Jul 122012

325 6-cyl

The vehicles electronic steering wheel lock mechanism has failed and vehicle will not unlock the steering wheel column nor start the vehicle with this problem in place. Hundreds of other complaints across the board with my same particular my (2006) can easily be found by a simple search on any given BMW blog/forum. This should definitely be a recall. What would happen if it had locked up while driving?? not safe at all and will certainly try everything I can to recoup the $1000+ I will be spending from BMW for the labor/repair that it will cost to have this ridiculous issue resolved.

- Independence, MO, USA

Jul 062012

325 6-cyl

BMW steering lock failure I should be replace by BMW because all this models have this problem is very unsafe but BMW don't want to do a recall in this matter.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

May 282012

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. While parked, the contact noticed that the steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic. The contact did not experience a failure with the steering while driving. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 302012

325

As many others have complained, my car now has a yellow steering wheel icon with a lock. I have to turn the steering wheel a few times in order to get the car to unlock and start. I am afraid to drive it as I have read that many people are unable to start the car once the icon turns from yellow to red. This is a known defect to BMW and they have discontinued use of this electronic lock in their 2007+ cars. Why won't BMW admit that their is an issue and fix it? why should I have to pay $500+ to fix something they've known was broken in the first place.

- Towson, MD, USA

Mar 262012

325 6-cyl

Will not start because of steering in lock position. Airbag and seat belt error (red icon) in passenger side.

- Covina, CA, USA

Feb 242012

325

The car constantly displays a steering wheel lock icon when I try to start the car. This issue has been reported by many drivers and it can be fatal if the steering wheel locks while the car is moving. This needs to be addressed right away.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 132011

325 6-cyl

Red steering wheel lock malfunction the car won't start due to the malfunction I have too get it towed down to the dealer.

- Trumbull, CT, USA

Feb 132012

325 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock warning light illuminated in red on dash. This is a common problem with 2006 325I series. BMW has discontinued this type of steering wheel column when building their 2007 vehicles because its an issue. Why hasn't this been recalled and why hasnt anyone taken action on the incident?

- Musctine, IA, USA

Dec 012011

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel seized. The driver restarted the vehicle and the steering wheel operated as normal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test and the technician stated that the electronic steering lock would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000. The VIN was not available.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Feb 042012

325 6-cyl

Ever since I purchased this car, it'd display a yellow icon with a steering wheel lock. On this date, the steering wheel lock failed to disengage and the icon was red, leaving me stranded. This same issue occurred to my friend last month as he has the exact same car as me. According to many online sources, many others have had the exact same issue.

- Enola, PA, USA

Jan 072012

325 6-cyl

My vehicle had the steering wheel lock with the amber light. Apparently, there are numerous 3 series with this issue in us and world. This is common for the E90S. Below is a list of those that have been reported to your Agency. This fault could potentially happen while driving causing the occupants to lose steering control. Reports: 10380778, 10378186 - 330I 10322165 - 325xi 10380077, 10353644 - 325I 10173714,10369685,10341920,10341836,10238977,10181405 and many others. When are you going to hold BMW accountable for this major issue and safety hazard?

- Mount Joy, PA, USA

Oct 202011

325 6-cyl

Steering lock lamp is amber and now red. Says car will not start because steering lock mechanism could engage. Could possibly lock while driving.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Nov 122011

325 6-cyl

Steering wheel column has locked and the car needed to be towed to the BMW dealership. After researching the vehicles make and model (325I 2006 BMW) I have noticed that this is an ongoing issue with the steering wheel column and ignition port. BMW has discontinued this type of steering wheel column when building their 2007 vehicles because its an issue. Why hasn't this been recalled and why hasn't anyone taken action on the incident?

- Seaford, NY, USA

Nov 142011

325

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 325I. The contact stated that the steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and was told that the steering column could seize and prevent the wheels from being turned. They also advised that a sensor in the steering column was possibly failing and the entire steering column would most likely need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,009.

- Ozark, AL, USA

Apr 102011

325 6-cyl

Steering wheel lock issue causing issues when trying to start ignition. The steering wheel lock will happen 2-3 times a week and eventually disable completely after a few months. Had to replace with a new steering column.

- Norwood, MA, USA